It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cow Manure Powers Vermont Homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Attempting to ease the pain of their electricity bill, Earl Audet of Blue Spruce Farm in Vermont has started to extract electricity from his cows in addition to milk. Audet uses the manure from his cattle, converting the methane from the waste into electricity. This electricity is then transfered to the power grid and is sold to about 1,000 customers at 4 cents per kilowatt hour. The normal rate is usually about 12 cents per.

www.msnbc.msn.com
MONTPELIER, Vt. - The 1,500 cows at Blue Spruce Farm in Bridport are producing more than just milk. They’re generating electricity.

The methane gas from their manure is being used to produce electricity for Vermont’s largest utility.

"This is the first time anywhere in the country that a farm-based generation has been offered to customers as a renewable choice," Central Vermont Public Service Corp. spokesman Steve Costello said Friday.

Other farms have generated electricity for their own use, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Audets are truly an example of making it happen....they are utilizing all their resources to not only function their farm, but aid others as well in the form of a discount. Efficient energy use is becoming more and more critical, and though this particular resource isn't feasible for all our energy needs, it is a step at self-sufficiency for some. Alternative energy sources are starting to mainstream and small steps like this should make the way easier.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I posted a thread in Fragile Earth a while back. The City of Palo Alto, California is also making electricty from biomass. Its small percentage right now and it bit more expensive than regular electricty but has good future potential

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
The higher oilprices put the greener, but usually more expensive energies back in the spotlight, however we still need that revolutionary green concept that not only outshines oil pollutionwise, but also in price to truly capture the markets...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Price is dictated by supply and demand. Once big business puts their time and effort, i.e. manufacturing, distribution, and create the need for different consumption via custom product, the cost will stabilize. We see it all the time with new technology. Of course, noones going to ignore oil until it's gone as transition is never good for the stock holders.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
But this shouldnt be a surprise there has been developed from excrament methane and ethenol is that the names from the fuels, this is only a wider scale emplimentation of a non fossile fuel that has been in the perfection stage for at least 4 decades. WHICH BRINGS UP A POINT, if the process is developed to this point then why steal oil from a country under the guise of liberation?

[edit on 19/1/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Because not the oilcompanies, but midwest farmers would be the new oil barons ?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
If this is true, we could power the new ATS Server with the Predictions & Prophecies forum alone.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
If this is true, we could power the new ATS Server with the Predictions & Prophecies forum alone.

ROFL, that is one of the funniest posts I've encountered thus far!!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think it's great that our modern day homes can run off $hit

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
I think it's great that our modern day homes can run off $hit

Me two.

Good find memoryshcok. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join