It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican platform refers to coal as an environmentally responsible energy source

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
We would have actually had Iceball earth by now had we not heated it up so go away. In the 70's they warned us of Globale freeze. Your all idiots. The sun and only the Sun decides the temperature here.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Can't edit. Sorry for spelling. Was going to fix it up heh.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

There is nothing wrong with coal as an energy source except for the morons that tell you it isn't okay due to political correctness.

It has been used for 1000's of years in various cultures and will be for 1000's more. Obviously if we get affordable renewable energy our reliance on coal will lessen, but frankly what is the big flipping deal?

THIS is what you worry about?

The big flippin deal is that coal is a filthy, inefficient, environmentally destructive energy source that impoverishes the people who dig it out, destroys the lands of those who live above it, and fouls the air and water. I am from Appalachian Kentucky and have gone undegound (way, way, underground) to mine coal. My extended family has been decimated by pneumoconiosis and silicosis (black lung). They have been crushed in roof falls, blown up in gas explosions, and impoverished by the predatory actions of coal magnates. We call them coal maggots. I've smelled the rotten egg smell of the well water fouled by sulphur run-off. I've seen the mercury leaching hollowfills where detritis from surface mining gets dumped into watershed valleys. Think for a minute about the "sediment ponds" where fines (the garbage left over from the wash plants that supposedly result in "clean" coal. All the dirt, including the sulphur, ash, mercury, and multiple carcinogens removed from an intrinsically filthy mineral, gets dumped on our lands. Read Night comes to the Cumberlands by Harry Caudill to see the full impact of coal mining on Appalachia.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a friend of mine just got back from china, a huge coal economy. he was not a fan of the yellow air and told me seeing people buying cans of air was super surreal

any politician backing coal is being paid to do so

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

Coal Costs Consumers 4 Cents a Kilo Watt Hour . Wind and Solar Cost the Consumers who Choose to Depend on them 26 Cents a Kilo Watt Hour . Do the Math , and Don't Believe the False Claims that Today's Clean Coal Technology is a Fantasy that Still Pollutes the Environment to an Unbearable Degree .

www.nma.org...
edit on 21-7-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Burning coal may only cost what you claim but you conveniently forgot to add in the cost and power consumption that it takes to get the coal from out of the ground and into burnable material.

In a larger sense, do you think it is wise to keep an environmental destructive practice going because the profit margins are great for a few elite and powerful people and their enterprises?

I personally believe it is a fools choice to sacrifice the environment, the well being of this planet, just so a handful of interests can continue to profit.

edit on 21-7-2016 by jrod because: PSyour link cites a paper that is a petition for government, aka corporate WELFARE to fund building their 'improved' power plants

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

" I personally believe it is a fools choice to sacrifice the environment, the well being of this planet, just so a handful of interests can continue to profit. "

Did you read my Link ? I respect you Opinion Sir , but the FACTS Speak for Themselves.......

www.nma.org...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Those aren't facts that you presented. It is a petition to get tax payer funding for their upgraded power plants. It is essentiaIly a misleading advertisement.

Check my edit.. on my previous post
edit on 21-7-2016 by jrod because: f

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Why would anyone want to invest and increase the workforce of a dying industry besides that the coal industry pays them off?

Because Republicans always want to make big bucks in the easiest, cheapest, most damaging and immoral way possible.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

And not to mention but every time they show tape of China, Vietnam and most of The Pacific Rim and Asia and then You see every other person wearing a surgical mask; these also include pics of North Korea and that is after they are 'proofread' before publishing (Way more than the quick perusal the lamestream media here encounters)

Either they do a bunch of surgeries and they make it a "communal effort" or folks are fearful of breathing the toxins. The toxins spewed from factories that pay their employees squat but they rake it ($) in, leading to Your last sentence being the "The Butler did it w/a Xacto knife in the foyer..."

I remember back in 1985 when I moved from Sonoma County, Ca. "Wine Country" to Southern Ca. for college. I went the latter part of July to get acquainted with the school and the area. It took Me a good month+ to get acclimated. When the school year ended I was back in Sonoma County then left to play pro baseball in Idaho and it wasn't until the middle of August before My lungs/breathing became 'regular' again..

Shalom

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
coal can be replaced by solar, and the solar can be cheaper than coal sooner than expected. all you need is a congress that isn't owned by the oil companies

india's big move into solar

India's massive bet on solar power is paying off far earlier than anticipated. The price of solar power has plummeted in recent months to levels rivaling that of coal, positioning the renewable source as a viable mainstream option in a country where 300 million people live without electricity. Solar prices are now within 15% of coal, according to KPMG. If current trends hold, the consultancy predicts electricity from solar will actually be 10% cheaper than domestic coal by 2020. And that could turn out to be a conservative forecast. At a recent government auction, the winning bidder offered to sell electricity generated by a project in sunny Rajasthan for 4.34 rupees (6 cents) per kilowatt hour, roughly the same price as some recent coal projects. "Solar is very competitive," said Vinay Rustagi of renewable energy consultancy Bridge to India. "It's a huge relief for countries like India which want to get more and more solar power."

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join