It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican platform refers to coal as an environmentally responsible energy source

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

There is nothing wrong with coal as an energy source except for the morons that tell you it isn't okay due to political correctness.

Tell that to my grandfather who died at an early age from black lung.

He chose the job knowing the risks....

Not likely.
In most areas this was, and is, the only jobs available which pays enough for a family to live on.

link   
Double post.

System went a little nuts.
edit on 21-7-2016 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

link   

Wow...the Republican party is treating you like you're an idiot.

Actually the alternative energy crowd is treating people like they are idiots.

Cheap energy.

There IS nothing cheaper used to make EVERY thing still made here.

And JUST ABOUT everything IMPORTED back here from China, INDIA building coal fired plants like there is no tomorrow.

Nice try op.

link   

There is nothing wrong with coal as an energy source except for the morons that tell you it isn't okay due to political correctness.

Has NOTHING to do with what I was quoting......

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

Not likely.
In most areas this was, and is, the only jobs available which pays enough for a family to live on.

Which Ohio is one of those areas.

Hence why the RNC even mentioned coal...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Nuclear power is the future.

Go ahead and tell that to the Japanese or the Ukrainians.

I wonder what would happen to the nuclear power plants if a giant CME hits earth or an EMP is set off? Hmmm...

edit on 21-7-2016 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

Irrelevant fear mongering.

Chernobyl had nothing to do with the reactor. Failure of the cooling rod that should have been checked and replaced during routine maintenance.

Fukishima, I doubt nuclear power can be blamed for earthquakes. All contamination was quickly and swiftly dealt with. There was not a single death from the radiation.

There are thousands of nuclear reactors in operation. Only two have had catastrophic failures (Three mile island and Chernobyl)

Not allowing clean, safe and efficient nuclear energy based on those two examples is like banning air travel because 9/11. Beyond ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Fukishima, I doubt nuclear power can be blamed for earthquakes. All contamination was quickly and swiftly dealt with. There was not a single death from the radiation.

You really believe that??? Then I've got a job cleaning out reactor containment vessels in Japan for ya. Since it's not dangerous it should be no problem right?

That's the thing with nuclear power, it's uncontrollable once the cooling is gone.

See any problem with reactors near the coast or in fault zones? It the single most idiotic idea humanity ever had.

There are thousands of nuclear reactors in operation. Only two have had catastrophic failures (Three mile island and Chernobyl)

I think a level 7 nuclear accident shouldn't be overlooked. There are three complete meltdowns at one facility no matter what triggered the event.

These reactors are just ticking time bombs waiting for a natural disaster or human error to set them off. Not to mention many are past their length of intended operation, so you have thousands of reactors worldwide that are dangerously aged to the point of being operationally unsafe.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Don't build them near the coast or in fault zones then. Not the reactor's fault people built it in ridiculous places.

Opposing nuclear power is implicit support for the fossil fuels industry. Since there is no viable alternative yet.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Don't build them near the coast or in fault zones then. Not the reactor's fault people built it in ridiculous places.

That's just it though they're in place all over the world near the coasts for cooling purposes or near fault zones. It's way too late to fix that problem.

G.E. built many of the reactors in the states and the Fuku reactor as well. They had a hand in the decision of the placement of the reactor, so they are partially to blame as well.

Opposing nuclear power is implicit support for the fossil fuels industry. Since there is no viable alternative yet.

I'm good with coal, solar, wind & wave generated power since none of them will make the surrounding area they're operating in uninhabitable in the event of a catastrophe.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

Not likely.

Sure he did. Underground Mining and logging were the only good jobs where I grew up. Everyone knows the dangers but they do what they have to. Everyday they knew they had a higher probability of death than many jobs. I welded galvanized metal for a few years. Highly toxic. Gave it up for a different one because of it. Just saying using people's deaths for excuses for anything in this thread is trivial.

Also people should research modern coal mining and clean coal technology. Sure we can complain about the PAST but why just give up on a massive power source when it can be made better?

Also lookup what coal and oil is used for.... Yeah, your potential reply is made possible by it....
edit on 21-7-2016 by Orionx2 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Didn't take long for this thread to get hijacked.

Blasting tops of mountains for coal interest is NOT environmentally responsible. Anyone who tries to tell us that coal is eco friendly is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Furthermore the coal industry will threatened and terrorize those who own coal rich land and refuse to sell out.

Do your own research and learn the disheartening reality of the coal industry and their tactics. Many peaks in the Appalachian mountains have been destroyed in the interest of coal mining.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
Many peaks in the Appalachian mountains have been destroyed in the interest of coal mining.

Better not look up strip/open pit mining. Then again without it you wouldn't be able to type your next reply.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

Are you also ignorant of the CO2 that burning coal produces?

We have evolved enough in terms of technology to move on from the days of burning coal for energy.

But go ahead and try to fool us into thinking that coal mining and burning is somehow a responsible way to live.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Irrelevant fear mongering.

Is it though?

Take a look here and tell me it's fear mongering.

You want your children or grandchildren to end up like that?

Coal never did that to anyone.

This is reason enough for the nuclear power industry to pack it in.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Snarl is this you? You ever heard of mountain top removal coal mining? What that does to the local environment, rivers and watershed. The processing, slurry dams and waste are whats covered up. Until the damn breaks or in China for instance the air pollution, mostly from coal fired power plants...ewww.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The jobs were far more important to the people.

And what did we get in trade? Empty promises and failed energy 'experiments'.

I hate it when the realist in me comes out.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Here is some more on mountain top removal:
m.earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Also, I have heard through environmental activists that the coal industry will threaten and terrorize land owners who are sitting on coal rich land who refuse to sell their property to the coal industry. I'll have to really do some digging, but when I find I good article that highlights this practice, I will share.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Thanks Jrod for the link. Keeping handy...

In China its even worse.

Coal pollution in China

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The great Larry Gibson was beat up, threatened, had his dogs killed, arrested over bogus charges, and even had people try to kill him all because he took a stand against the coal industry and wanted to preserve Kayford Mountain, a peak worth something like 650 million to the coal industry.

They play very dirty when there is so much money for big coal to make.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join