It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it racist now to be proud to be a white man?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Being proud of your skin color kinda confuses me. I'm a white guy and i'm proud of my heritage, but i'm not proud of being white. I'm proud of my native american heritage, as the chinooks were one of the more culturally advanced trading empires of the west coast. I'm proud of my Irish and Scottish side because they're a proud people that had to overcome many difficulties of their own. Not so proud of my german and dutch side, but they've made cultural advancements of their own so I don't entirely dislike it.

If you look at most "Orgullo" (pride) groups of hispanics, most of them are proud of their aztec or mayan ancestry, not the spanish conquerors that most of them derive their names and language from.

I supposed African Americans would be proud of their heritage, but their heritage was erased when they were brought to America. None of them know what tribe their ancestors came from and after they came to America they intermingled with other black slaves, so "being black" was the only shared heritage they could take pride in.

In my opinion, it doesn't really make much sense to just be proud of "being white."

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
If you take pride in yourself for something you've done or achieved...Go For it.
Being proud of yourself just for being a specific race (any race)...is Racist.

'Race' is not an achievement or accomplishment.
Hitler was white...so was Mother Theresa.
MLK was Black...so was Idi Amin.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

It is pretty stupid when you have 100s if not 1000s of organizations for 'colored people' that would be blatantly racist if they were white people behind the facade. Frankly, you just need to not give a damn what people think.

All you can really do is be the best YOU that you can be and to hell with the haters.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macross98
The phenomenon of 'white guilt' is becoming more popular, at least that's how it seems to me. Any other group of people can celebrate their heritage and culture, so why not whites? Google search 'black pride' 'gay pride' 'women's pride' etc...and then 'white pride'. I think that there is a stigma attached to being 'white and proud'.

I belive this comes from the colour of the coverings the KKK used

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I've never liked the idea of being Proud, isn't it one of the 7 deadly sins? Kind of like Gloating.

Why yes it is. #1
Pride. Envy. Wrath, Gluttony and Lust. Sloth and Greed. The seven deadly sins.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I agree with your question.

I'm white and I'm not exactly "proud" of it but I know where you're coming from.

Honestly most racism I've experienced in my life has been against whites.
Many times I've seen stupid arguments between a black man and a white man get out of control because as soon as the white man disagreed it HAD to be because the other was black, claims the black man.

I'm not racist at all, truly.

It is disgusting though that if you're white you can't be proud of it.

People are asking you why you'd be proud but they're nitpicking. We all know damn well there's plenty of women proud of being women, blacks proud of being blacks, native americans, ... and so on.

If a white person wants to be proud of how they're born, it's their right.
The fact that anyone would think otherwise shows just how anti-white people can be.

If a colored person made this post I highly doubt people would give them the heat that you're receiving.

Racism is racism... even it it's against whites.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Here's the problem with being proud to be anything.

If it's not something you personally accomplished, then what are you proud of?

Being born? Having ancestors who accomplished great feats that you did not?

It's ridiculous. I'm a gay man for example, I don't go around telling people I'm proud to be gay, because it's not something I did anything to achieve. Sure I suffered discrimination and some violence in my youth and there's no excuse for that.

But it doesn't mean people can start walking around claiming they are proud of something that they had NO part in creating.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

It's not necessarily racist to be proud of your race, it's stupid. Racial characteristics have little if anything to do with the societal advancements of peoples.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Here's the problem with being proud to be anything.

If it's not something you personally accomplished, then what are you proud of?

Being born? Having ancestors who accomplished great feats that you did not?

It's ridiculous. I'm a gay man for example, I don't go around telling people I'm proud to be gay, because it's not something I did anything to achieve. Sure I suffered discrimination and some violence in my youth and there's no excuse for that.

But it doesn't mean people can start walking around claiming they are proud of something that they had NO part in creating.

~Tenth

Have you ever attended a gay pride anything?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Here we go,

I am American and I am Proud of that,
I am Texan by the Grace of God, and it is something I take pride in.

There is no Racism in the above statements and only those that are bigoted and trying to hide it will see it as it is.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Nope.

Don't believe in it, think it's mostly stupid. Rights marches were a different story, when Canada was having the debate about marriage laws, I attended meetings and fought for my right to be married along with the rest of them.

But it had very little to do with me being proud to be gay.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Is it racist now to be proud to be a white man?

Not in and of itself.
But it is a bit silly though.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused
Am I allowed to be proud of my race and heritage, without being considered a racist pig if I'm white?

What's got race to do with the pride?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Who exactly was it that told you that you were supposed to apologize for anything? A better question might be, why would you apologize if you've done nothing wrong, no matter who tells you that you should? And an even better one might be, if you're so solid in your convictions and so proud, why do you feel the need to seek approval from strangers on the internet?

Your OP doesn't reflect pride at all. It reflects a need to seek validation from others for taking a stance, when in reality, pride is more about standing strong on your own.

Yes, absolutely, people can take quiet pride in their heritage and even their race without feeling a necessity to announce it; particularly in a venue where it is almost guaranteed to bait another argument about race, such as this one here. Pride is not the same thing as bluster, no matter how much you try to fluff it up.

Have you ever known a chick in your life who is thin and yet constantly complains that she is fat? I know several. They know they're not fat...they know what size they wear, pick out their own wardrobes. No, they are insecure, and feel the need to constantly seek approval and attention so they feel better about themselves. This bears a striking similarity to that behavior. It is the mother of victim mentality.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Nope.

Don't believe in it, think it's mostly stupid. Rights marches were a different story, when Canada was having the debate about marriage laws, I attended meetings and fought for my right to be married along with the rest of them.

But it had very little to do with me being proud to be gay.

Well sir my point was, if you go to a gay pride anything, for any reason, even just to have a few drinks with your buddies, and watch,not to march or protest or anything.

That would be great and wonderful and fine in todays USA.

Now imagine me at a white pride march bbqing with my boys, I would be labeled a racist period for even being associated.

No matter what my reason for being there.
edit on 21-7-2016 by imsoconfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm half Scottish and half Apache and proud of both... oh and my penis. Many, many men would be proud to have my penis.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

Who exactly was it that told you that you were supposed to apologize for anything? A better question might be, why would you apologize if you've done nothing wrong, no matter who tells you that you should? And an even better one might be, if you're so solid in your convictions and so proud, why do you feel the need to seek approval from strangers on the internet?

Your OP doesn't reflect pride at all. It reflects a need to seek validation from others for taking a stance, when in reality, pride is more about standing strong on your own.

Yes, absolutely, people can take quiet pride in their heritage and even their race without feeling a necessity to announce it; particularly in a venue where it is almost guaranteed to bait another argument about race, such as this one here. Pride is not the same thing as bluster, no matter how much you try to fluff it up.

Have you ever known a chick in your life who is thin and yet constantly complains that she is fat? I know several. They know they're not fat...they know what size they wear, pick out their own wardrobes. No, they are insecure, and feel the need to constantly seek approval and attention so they feel better about themselves. This bears a striking similarity to that behavior. It is the mother of victim mentality.

I do understand that this is completely anonymous and fake attention. So there is that.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Well said!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
I'm half Scottish and half Apache and proud of both... oh and my penis. Many, many men would be proud to have my penis.

Balls

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Many are saying that you should not take pride in the fact you were born.

But talk about gay pride and it's okay because of whom you're attracted to.

Take pride.
If that's what you want to do.

Really no one else's business.

It is not my place, NOR IS IT ANYONE ELSE'S to determine what you can or should be prideful of.

edit on 21-7-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join