It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Video] Northern Miami police shoot unarmed Black man with hands raised.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Must have been a misprint in the training manual.

Step 1: *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

Step 2: Yell 'FREEZE!'

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: subfab
a reply to: gladtobehere

all we have is one side of the story.
i want to hear the officer's side of what happened before making a judgment.

Officer's side when asked why he shot: "Ummmm.....I don't know". I mean, he can't even justify it.

That is really odd.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Maybe nervous not well trained...A finger spasm?.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

February 18, 2016
A proposed civil rights settlement released Wednesday shows the U.S. Department of Justice will spend the next four years monitoring how the Miami Police Department trains and supervises its officers, investigates police shootings and operates its specialized units.

Justice and city of Miami lawyers have been negotiating the agreement since July 2013, when the federal agency's investigation of Miami police shootings found that officers' use of force had violated the Constitution. A tentative agreement was announced Friday by U.S. Attorney Wifredo Ferrer during a visit to Miami by Attorney General Loretta Lynch, but the details of the settlement remained private until Wednesday.

According to the 92 stipulations in the newly published document, Miami's 1,300-member police force must prove over the next four years that it has appropriately deployed its specialized units, such as the SWAT team, and sufficiently monitored their operations and who becomes members on those teams.

Police supervisors must be "held accountable" for officers under their watch. And officers must receive firearm training that "incorporates and emphasizes de-escalation training and techniques."

The settlement runs until March 15, 2020, and calls on retired Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor to serve as an independent monitor of the city's compliance.

"A lot of (Miami's issues) surrounded police-involved shootings," Castor said Thursday. "One of the issues I've talked about is, if you can reduce the number of police-involved shootings through de-escalation and community involvement, you won't have to worry about investigative issues down the road."

Jane Castor had been a great asset to the City of Tampa and how she redesigned the model for policing in our community. Crime has dropped quite a lot and did not require NYC style broken windows harassment policies. I am wondering what went wrong in Miami, unless Loretta Lynch is somehow facilitating a deal with certain people to fabricate a propaganda piece, which btw is absolutely 100% legal thanks to the president that signed it into law some years back.

This literally could have been entirely fabricated. The very act of doing it is codified into legislation by law, and is very doubtful the general public can ever have a resource to determine if this is the case.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: grey580

Glock, S&W, H&K... doesn't matter. What matters is, that cop had piss poor trigger discipline, if he had his finger on the trigger.

Well...assuming the gun did not spontaneously fire, I think he had his finger on the trigger...yes piss-poor trigger discipline.

I think the crux of the issue's with unjustified shootings recently is Apple...Before everyone had a relatively high quality video camera in their pocket, these shootings never made the news and police could easily muddy the waters around what actually happened or on occasion do full cover-up. Those days are gone...and police should assume the same.

Everytime the police roll up on someone they should proceed as if national news television cameras are watching and will be scrutinizing how they act. That is not pro BLM or Pro-cops...that's just the state of our world with technology right now. I am a little pissed about how where places where body-cams are being rolled out...cops have been claiming malfunction or that it wasn't turned on...yada..yada.. The public they are policing are the ones that bought that gun and those bullets with their tax-dollars...Cops have to step up their professionalism, training etc. It's all on film these days.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

There should be protests--not because the guy was black, but because a police shot an obviously unarmed man in a very non-threatening position, and the officer can't even articulate the reason behind pulling the trigger.

That right there is an example of an incapable law enforcement officer. I really doubt that training has much to do with it, but I have no idea, as it appears that this may have been an accidental firing, meaning that he had his finger on the trigger when it should not have been. But, this seems like a mistake by a single individual and nothing more, and luckily the victim did not die or have any major injuries.

Of course, I question the need for the handcuffs, but at the same time, I can understand why--just because someone claims to be weapon-free doesn't mean that they are, and it's a safety precaution for the officers.

edit on 21-7-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

There should be protests--not because the guy was black, but because a police shot an obviously unarmed man in a very non-threatening position, and the officer can't even articulate the reason behind pulling the trigger.

That right there is an example of an incapable law enforcement officer. I really doubt that training has much to do with it, but I have no idea, as it appears that this may have been an accidental firing, meaning that he had his finger on the trigger when it should not have been. But, this seems like a mistake by a single individual and nothing more, and luckily the victim did not die or have any major injuries.

Two things occur to me. His race might have been relevant in the sense with recent attacks on police they likely came heavy and with a more high-throttle/danger attitude than they otherwise would. It could have been a contributing factor. I agree it is likely accidental shooting...If they were looking to shoot someone and thought the toy truck might be a gun...why did they not shoot the handicapped kid?

Second thing..Police don't often get fired when they are sloppy because of strong police unions and a phone book of restrictions on what it takes to legitimately discipline or fire a cop. If conservatives are all anti-union when it comes to teachers and make the case about how unions can protect bad teachers...they should also break up police unions that make it hard to discipline or fire bad cops.
edit on 21-7-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Does this really surprise anyone? With tensions being high between the whole BLM, anti-cop propaganda and cop slayings going on around America right now? When tensions are high like this, stuff like this happens. The people involved are hyper-sensitive and hyper-aware and to be frank, trigger happy due to it. So you can pretty much blame everyone involved. From cops to BLM all the way up to Obama. We are a country divided right now.
edit on 21-7-2016 by -Blackout- because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Slightly extended footage here: heavy.com...

Couple things I noticed:

1. Mr. Kinsley in the post-shooting footage is facing a different direction by 90 degrees

2. Autistic kid in the post-shooting footage is now on the other side of Mr. Kinsley by a few metres

3. From the footage I linked I don't see how it could've been possible to shoot Mr. Kinsley from the position of the police officer in the footage with the autistic kid in the way

4. The footage appears to have been provided by Mr. Kinsley's attorney and is conveniently missing the part of the shooting

5. Mr. Kinsley's attorney comes off rather apologetic and forgiving to the police and Mr. Kinsley himself doesn't seem too angry about the situation

Seems rather staged to me. But I don't know #, I wasn't there. If Mr. Kinsley's version of events is true I hope the officer involved is discharged immediately and that this event doesn't further contribute to racial tension.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: -Blackout- So you can pretty much blame everyone involved. From cops to BLM all the way up to Obama. We are a country divided right now.

Again...stepping back...the common thread is cell phone video on the news where 5 years ago there was none.

Strange as it sounds, I believe Apple is the cause.

It would be naïve to claim that questionable and unjustified shootings were not occurring 10 years ago...the principle difference is that everyone has a video camera in their pocket and the public can watch what happened vs. being forced to accept what the police say happened.

All BS aside...since we are not going to ban cell-phone camera's...the simplest, most direct solution is to train officers to act as if they are being filmed and evaluated at all times. Obviously bad things happen when people believe no one credible is watching.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlimK
Slightly extended footage here: heavy.com...

Couple things I noticed:

1. Mr. Kinsley in the post-shooting footage is facing a different direction by 90 degrees

Safe to assume he changed position because the police had sat him up, fully frisked him and linked 3 sets of hand-cuffs together behind his back and placed him face down on the pavement again....As was explained in the video.
edit on 21-7-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Can you link me to that footage? The footage I linked shows him clearly on his back. You can easily tell but if you need further confirmation he raises his knee. And I would assume they would handcuff his hands behind his back so I'm not sure he was handcuffed at that point (as they would lay him face down with cuffs).

After a bit of thought my most plausible scenario is autistic kid gets up and runs, cop fires erratically, hits Mr. Kinsley by accident, autistic kid immediately surrenders and lie downs, police approach and discover that this situation was a bit of a # up.

I believe Mr. Kinsley is a part of a pro-black group. He might now see this as an opportunity to strengthen his cause and his attorney sees it as pay day.
edit on 21-7-2016 by SlimK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm buying the story on this one. The details are there and what film we've seen matches up with his recollection of the events.

We know that there is a problem with the way police are trained. People have to see now that this is a perfect example of the problem. When you are a police officer there must be an expectation that you will find yourself in situations where it is unclear whether or not you are actually in danger. I think this is the grey area we need to really focus police training on. It's easy to train people to shoot guns, follow arrest procedures, using their tools etc, but it is not easy to train people on how to make sound judgment calls. Clearly.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

did he black out?

Was he a Vet I wonder,

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlimK

Can you link me to that footage? The footage I linked shows him clearly on his back. You can easily tell but if you need further confirmation he raises his knee. And I would assume they would handcuff his hands behind his back so I'm not sure he was handcuffed at that point (as they would lay him face down with cuffs).

That video you refer to at your link at Heavy...watch it again...They Autistic kid has been moved and is face down by the police. Yes the guy who was shot is on his back at that point, but yes they had frisked him already, thus no guns are trained on him anymore and the officers have a more casual stance beside him.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Bone75
So none of you find it suspicious that we have footage of the guy laying on the ground with his hands in the air, but not the actual shooting?

There's a reason for that I'm sure.

I'm curious what you think that reason is. Did the guy suddenly start reaching for a gun when the video went off or something? Is that what you are suggesting? Are you honestly incapable of finding fault with the police?

Oh look, another person putting words in my mouth.

By not showing him getting shot, the media is creating doubt. Doubt that the left will spin into racism. Later the unedited version will come out and you'll say "See, it happened just the way he said it did, but you didn't believe him because he's black".

You just hit the nail on the head...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

did he black out?

Was he a Vet I wonder,

According to Heavy.com....there were 3 shots fired? But only one hit?

I know cops are trained to shoot in groupings...pop,pop,pop...but that is not finger slip or spasm...more mental spasm..

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

This just makes me sad... Not even angry anymore, just sad... I don't understand why they would fire on a man with his hands up speaking clearly to them...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: flyandi

Loretta Lynch said she doesn't know enough about the situation yet to see if the DOJ will investigate. There have been rumors that the cop that shot the unarmed black caretaker was black as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

1. It's possible...as for not shooting the autistic kid, I'm not willing to bet that this cop is the highest sharpshooter of the force.

2. Agreed--I can't stand unions and how they protect those who should be fired easily.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join