It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Video] Northern Miami police shoot unarmed Black man with hands raised.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock
a reply to: reldra

You don't need to convince me. I don't believe they even needed their firearms drawn.

I know.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Sounds like a negligent discharge that's being blown out of proportion as another cop shooting a black guy.

It is another cop shooting a black guy, though. I can see it may have been misfire. but added to the pile, others will not see.
edit on 20-7-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I openly admit and am not ashamed to say that in general, my default setting is to defend the police.

The whole "Hands Up; Don't Shoot" was proven to be a lie and although it was a shame that the individual in that case was killed, he was far from an innocent person.

The guy in Staten Island that got killed had a sizeable record and children (I believe 5) and instead of doing an honest days work for an honest days pay, he was selling "loosies" on the street and resisted arrest. Again, I can't say he deserved the death penalty but he was far from an innocent person.

This case though.... jeez. Of course I only know what we all know so far but my HOPE is that it was an accident... an AVOIDABLE accident (meaning that the cop just basically sucked at this part of his job and shouldn't have been issued a badge to begin with... but somehow slipped through the cracks). I can't fathom (nor do I believe) that someone would, in that scenario, take a shot at someone lying down like that just for fun or for sport.

Two quick points though....

1) Some people are saying that CLEARLY the autistic guy was autistic. That is not a fair assumption. Every night of the week my wife sees them come into the ER. People that are wacked out on this drug or that one and from what I saw in the video and what she describes, for someone arriving on the scene it would NOT have been obvious that the person was autistic instead of being high on Lord knows what. I'm not justifying shots being fired. I'm just trying to clarify that one item that is being kicked around.

2) Before people start going crazy with the institutional racism nonsense (nonsense being my understanding and belief), I think we should wait a day or two to see how this is handled. If this is as bad as it looks, and the officer is kicked off the force and stands trial, then there is no huge issue there in the sense that nobody would be above the law. We'll see how it plays out.

2A) If this turns out to be as bad as it kinda/sorta looks at the moment, my suggestion to the prosecutor would be to NOT try to OVERCHARGE the officer. Look what happened with the Freddy Gray case. I'll say that I personally don't think the officers did anything wrong, but if the overzealous prosecutor didn't overcharge the officers, she would of had a shot of getting a conviction. Just like with Trayvon Martin. Although the person that shot/killed him wasn't a police officer, had the prosecutor not gone over-the-top with the charges, Zimmerman would likely be behind bars as I type these words.

Back to this case. I'm glad the victim survived and I'm hopeful that (somehow) this turns out to be not as bad as it might be.

edit on 20-7-2016 by eluryh22 because: minor detail added

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

You're a gun dude, does this seem plausible to you. One thing I worry about is all the cops running around with ARs now. I don't mind them having them if they're trained up, but I'm wondering what the qualifications actually are.

Plausible, not probable.

The AR15 is the easiest weapons platform known to the American gun owner and police departments.

The fire control group is stupid simple and easy to operate.

This cop already had a round chambered with 30 following in the mag. The safety was most likely on before the incident, and was most likely disengaged at the onset.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I agree with most of what you say.

Police are supposed to be trained to recognize the mentally disabled. It was about 2 years ago they shot and killed an unarmed guy in a wheelchair in a grouphome. If they haven't been trained as of yet, and a guy laying on the ground with his hands up clearly states it....they have no excuse for that.
edit on 20-7-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

I didn't say he meant to shoot the guy, I said he had poor training/habits IF he had his finger on the trigger.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Mmm. Good point. Last time I went on a ride along the Sheriff I was with was showing me her AR and how to release it "in case something happened" which seemed... odd to me. They didn't leave rounds chambered in their patrol rifles. That was also the worst ride along I've ever been on. She was just awful.

I'm just thinking if all you have to do is qualify with your AR once a year and just leave it in the trunk the rest of the time it's not going to stay super intuitive.

Article I found interesting.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
I openly admit and am not ashamed to say that in general, my default setting is to defend the police.

I get where you're coming from. The guy laying on the ground like he did, would have raised my suspicion.

Unfortunately, a civilian was friggin' shot, during an event where weapons were completely unnecessary. It was probably caused by a build-up of tension in an unnecessary stand-off situation that any cop on the scene could have defused by walking up to the two guys in the street.

If the blue blanket is thrown over this matter, the cops deserve all the repercussions coming. This cop has gotta go ... and the sooner the better for everyone involved.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I wish I could spend a month training officers.

Most of them would quit the first week after being dressed down for their firearms incompetence.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I don't doubt it. This is why I am going to be attending some classes next month.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This was very poor timing. Weather Channel Heat Warnings

Larger cities will probably have power loss or rolling blackouts. Chicago will be one. That is when people are very upset to begin with.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I don't doubt it. This is why I am going to be attending some classes next month.

I'm a security professional and have a semiannual qualification.

I also take regular monthly tactical courses for different scenarios and applications including battlefield medical intervention.

I wish cops got the kind of training I regularly get as a civilian.

There would be a lot less "accidents"(read negligence) like this.
edit on 20 7 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yeah not good. I'm a grumpy bitch today and it's like 80 out. I suppose yard work contributed, but still.

Trump getting the nomination + all the other unrest + what you just shared is really turning this summer into a powder keg.

The government should hand out otter pops for free.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Not to mention if it was a negligent discharge and after hand cuffing the guy anyway I have to wonder how long he lay there before first aid was rendered ?

These are the kind of stories and videos that make even the strongest supporter of the police have second thoughts.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Bastards have the footage but won't show it for obvious reasons.

"Hands up."

"Don't shoot."

Thats why the chant began in Ferguson, Michael Brown had his hands up too. And they won't show us that footage either.

Remember, Black lives don't matter.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Not to mention if it was a negligent discharge and after hand cuffing the guy anyway I have to wonder how long he lay there before first aid was rendered ?

These are the kind of stories and videos that make even the strongest supporter of the police have second thoughts.

He might have only been hit by a bullet fragment. He said it felt like a mosquito bit him. He might not have bled much at all. There sounds like a lot of practiced exaggeration in what was said. The settlement is obviously gonna be hefty.

I also liked how he said he asked the cop, "Why'd you shoot me?" and the cop said, "I don't know."

link   
Either there's and influx of nuts becoming cops, who just wanna hurt others, or they are becoming to scared to effectively perform their jobs.

Why go to the police academy?
Why carry a tazzer?
Why carry pepper spray?
Why carry batons?

Why learn self defense?

I guess none of those are possible when the answer is pull a gun.

link   
Dp

edit on 20-7-2016 by Black_Fox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The Calgary,Canada Municipal Police shot and killed an unarmed Canadian who had Afro-Canadian roots,two eye-witnesses he had surrenedered and had his hands up.

The police are firing on refusal to obey a verbal command not on imminent threat of death or bodily harm to themselves and the public.When you fire on this verbal command disregard every time you misinterpret someones initial movements the consequences of the mistake are death by gunfire.

Its like watching all the videos of people on the ground being tazed as the Cops verbally command them to STOP MOVEING...lol...then when they FAIL TO COMPLY...because they are to busy doing the electric-chicken dance to STOP MOVING.....lol...we have to all take responsibility for no standing up and stopping this sooner.

This verbal command crap this stormtrooper crap with people being abitrarily executed on the spot by Civil Employees for not obeying some vebal command must be stopped by forcing the SOP interpretations of acceptable levels of force and when and for what they may be used.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The liabilities for police rendering aid are insane. I think that's something that desperately needs to change.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join