It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Video] Northern Miami police shoot unarmed Black man with hands raised.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:
(post by Bone75 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is the police response..

From Bearing Arms.com

North Miami SWAT Cop Shot Therapist In Order To “Save” Him From Unarmed Autistic Man

This is getting worse and worse.

The lack of competence in this particular police force is astounding.

Honestly...I accept the reality that incompetence and stupidity exists in all lines of work, including police units, swat etc..

All I ask is that when errors are made they are recognized and reconciled...vs. covered up with BS and defended by over-zealous police unions.

This was a eff-up. The cop needs to be fired and the swat team needs immediate and thorough evaluation and re-training where needed.

Scopes on their rifles would probably help too.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

There is another point here that should be mentioned:

If a person his intent on committing suicide, why call the police? That was the call that was made, why did they not send out along with the officers someone who could have talked to the person, rather than the first response had been to draw a weapon and shoot the person?

This is a nasty cycle the country has gotten in. We turn to the police for every little thing in our life, and more and more cases like this show up. And the more cases show up, the more the people start to distrust the police and it is getting out of hand.

Being a police officer is hard, they are asked to sacrifice themselves at a moments notice. But at the same time, the number of times when a person should not have been killed or shot while in the custody of the police are going up. And it is tainting the view of the police in ways to make the people distrust them.

This incident has done far more damage than many people would suspect, as now the minority community is going to withdraw further away from the police.

But the one thing that we should be chilled about, the one thing that strikes me, is what is reported to be stated: When the officer got up there, the victim asked him: Why did you shoot me. The officer replied: I don't know.

That in itself is chilling, an officer who was on the force for 4 years, firing his weapon, who could not explain why, and then to turn around and say he was trying to protect the therapist? The officer is a highly trained person, and I would think that he could at least hit the target he was aiming at. And in this case, it appears as though his target was not the autistic person, who was reported to be trying to commit suicide, with only a toy truck in his hand, but an unarmed therapist, trying to bring his patient back into safety of the group home, who happened to be of african descent.

link   

If a person his intent on committing suicide, why call the police? That was the call that was made, why did they not send out along with the officers someone who could have talked to the person, rather than the first response had been to draw a weapon and shoot the person?

This is a nasty cycle the country has gotten in. We turn to the police for every little thing in our life, and more and more cases like this show up. And the more cases show up, the more the people start to distrust the police and it is getting out of hand.

Being a police officer is hard, they are asked to sacrifice themselves at a moments notice. But at the same time, the number of times when a person should not have been killed or shot while in the custody of the police are going up. And it is tainting the view of the police in ways to make the people distrust them.

This incident has done far more damage than many people would suspect, as now the minority community is going to withdraw further away from the police.

But the one thing that we should be chilled about, the one thing that strikes me, is what is reported to be stated: When the officer got up there, the victim asked him: Why did you shoot me. The officer replied: I don't know.

That in itself is chilling, an officer who was on the force for 4 years, firing his weapon, who could not explain why, and then to turn around and say he was trying to protect the therapist? The officer is a highly trained person, and I would think that he could at least hit the target he was aiming at. And in this case, it appears as though his target was not the autistic person, who was reported to be trying to commit suicide, with only a toy truck in his hand, but an unarmed therapist, trying to bring his patient back into safety of the group home, who happened to be of african descent.

link   

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

You're assuming Kinsey had his full attention. As a father of five, I can tell you that "I don't know" is my default answer when I'm focused on something else.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

From Bearing Arms.com

North Miami SWAT Cop Shot Therapist In Order To “Save” Him From Unarmed Autistic Man

Honestly...I accept the reality that incompetence and stupidity exists in all lines of work, including police units, swat etc..

All I ask is that when errors are made they are recognized and reconciled...vs. covered up with BS and defended by over-zealous police unions.

This was a eff-up. The cop needs to be fired and the swat team needs immediate and thorough evaluation and re-training where needed.

Are you trying to say this particular SWAT team doesn't have scopes on their rifles?

The hole keeps getting deeper. You may need your waders soon.....

edit on 23-7-2016 by FaunaOrFlora because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

originally posted by: Bone75

From Bearing Arms.com

Are you trying to say this particular SWAT team doesn't have scopes on their rifles?

See for yourself...

There are no scopes on those guns.

You can borrow my waders though.

edit on 23-7-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
What a bunch of incompetent liars..we shot the wrong guy..then we decided we should handcuff the wrong guy we just shot in order to save him, these f'ing scum ..this is we people do not trust the police

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

nope, no scopes. But the guy at the back end sure looks like he has a Holo or Red dot on it. Neither of which zoom in or have a ranged focus. Just dots.

I agree it was an accident. It was stupid to say they meant to shot anyone though. Would probably have scored better PR if they just said "I #ed up, lost my focus, became distracted and my finger slipped. I don't know what I can say or do do make amends, but I will at least apologize" . And Has anyone #ing apologized yet? i mean FFS many times a simple apology could work wonders towards helping people heal and feel better about everything.

And yet I observe rarely is it ever done. They should apologize even if it was justified in many cases if it took someones life. One does not have to mean it if they don't want to. But just suck it up and say it to help the families feel better at least. Then in private one can celebrate whatever they want. But a Goddamn apology would go a looooong way. Something so simple, but a few words. It is not difficult.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

If it was an accident why come up with the bull# excuse they came up with?

Shoot the victim to save him from the toy train weilding autistic man?
And then put the man they "saved" in handcuffs?

This was no accident.

edit on 23 7 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I would say it falls back to their reluctance to apologize for anything. Rather than apologize, they made up some complete horse manure. Plus, its Florida. Strange thing, hardly anyone here is worked up over it. Its really hard to get anyone in Florida worked up over anything that is not in their phones nowadays.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

In the video you can hear the cops yelling for them to lay down on their stomach. Was that towards the kid or both of them.

Could it be he shot because the guy wouldn't roll over.

If he had tried to roll over that could have been their excuse to fire then.

I live in Florida and I can tell you Miami has a problem with their police and has for a long time.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: supremecommander

originally posted by: DeadFoot

originally posted by: supremecommander
a reply to: DeadFoot

the fact that you are stating that resisting arrest by fleeing warrants a shooting speaks volumes about what people consider justifiable homicide by police.

The way that you have to spin oppositional argument is what really speaks volumes.

Where is this fact of me stating that fleeing warrants a shooting?

You're really stretching here with that type of language.

I'm saying that running away from an officer is going to end up with a higher chance of you getting tased and possibly shot.

I do not condone resisting arrest mind you. I'm just wondering why you find it acceptable that running is going to lead to a higher chance of getting shot?

THAT IN ITSELF IS THE PROBLEM.

Talking to you is just so irritating.

You have no integral value for your own standpoints.

I was saying that it would be a terrible idea to run from the police when they are telling you not to move, and that would only increase your chances of getting tased or even shot at.

Nowhere did I "condone" anything behavioural on behalf of the police in any situation.

You seriously need to calm down and stop jumping to conclusions and pointing the finger at literally everyone who doesn't agree with 110% of what you're saying.

Every single person who doesn't see eye-to-eye with you on any point on this topic is not automatically a racist, gun-toting, right-wing, trump-praising LEO apologist who is out to get you.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

In the video you can hear the cops yelling for them to lay down on their stomach. Was that towards the kid or both of them. Could it be he shot because the guy wouldn't roll over.

I just can't see the justification for that.

If he had tried to roll over that could have been their excuse to fire then.

I think this man was going to get shot regardless of what he did, or in this case, didn't do.

I live in Florida and I can tell you Miami has a problem with their police and has for a long time.

You're not the first person to tell me that. Seems they have some bad problems with their professionalism, training, and competencies.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

It sad that the people who live there are apathetic toward the incompetence of the armed people that are supposed to protect the community.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I swear there is a signal in the air that affects us more than other states. Like before Ybor city was completely locked down with facial recognition surveillance and cops on most corners, there would be one drunk person literally beating the dog # out of another right on the strip, and people casually walk by, like literally walk by mere feet away smiling and acting like its not even happening. I saw one group of friends just step to the side like "oh excuse me" as if the guy was not bloody beaten to near death.

Even when there was an incident at the mall two years ago where people thought it was shots fired, although it was really a jewelry heist, on the way out nobody was running for their lives. I heard some grumbling about not being able to finish their shopping, while others merely continued on smilling and laughing like "whatever, lets just go to SOHO and drink there teehee!"

Im thinking to myself at the time "these people are being evacuated over a possible active shooter, and its like they arent even in the same world" . if you were in Orlando the next day, everyone was carrying on as if Pulse didn't even happen.

Our Cities are strange like that, but the rural towns seem more normal to me. Anyways, give Jane Castor some time, she is trying to bring that Tampa professionalism to the Miami PD, but I don't see how she can really succeed without coming out of retirement and really driving boots up some asses. As of now shes more of an advisor just overseeing the implementation of a settlement, but I trust she will accomplish something.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I think this man was going to get shot regardless of what he did, or in this case, didn't do.

So the cop just woke up after 4 years on the job and decided "You know what, I think I'm gonna go shoot me a black man today."

Yeah. Sounds plausible.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Right because the amount of time on the job is a determining factor in shooting people.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

So the cop just woke up after 4 years on the job and decided "You know what, I think I'm gonna go shoot me a black man today." Yeah. Sounds plausible.

No. I believe the cop set himself up mentally and emotionally to engage any threat, perceived or real, when the call for service was received. He knew he'd be employing his weapon. He knew he'd be making contact with what was thought to be a gun threat. What he did not do was deescalate his tactical posture with new information. In other words, he didn't use his brain. He was thoughtless, and was motivated to use his firearm regardless of the situation, and it shows when he responded with "I don't know" when asked why he shot the man.

That is a textbook definition of incompetence.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join