It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hostage Air Base – and Its Hydrogen Bombs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It sounds like the Turkish government is firing people just for being secular, I'm sure that many people weren't involved in the plot. If they were, then you would think the Turkish intelligence agency would have picked up on it.

That many secular educators being dismissed means that higher education in Turkey will now be much more Islamic.
edit on 20pmWed, 20 Jul 2016 21:43:46 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

If that many people were in on it. the coup likely would not have failed which is why so many think this was a set up by Erdogan to give him an excuse to purge them from his government.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: imod02
And you have finally two possibilities listed for what could happen. Either Turkey could expel the US and NATO and take the nukes for itself making for a nuclear armed Muslim nation precipitating an arms race in the MIddle East. How long then before Iran takes to show up with its own nukes after that?

Or you've got some other options that are very much more likely:

3) Turkey somehow gets their hands on them, tries to arm them, and the PALs safe the bombs irreversably. Tha-tha-tha-that's all folks!

4) There's been flights out since Erdogan did his thing. If they've got weapons mechanics on hand, the likelihood that the physics packages have been dismounted and flown out: close to 100%.

Absolutely correct, there is an incredible amount of security both built in to and surrounding the U.S. nuclear weapon stockpile.

There is just shy of not in chance in hades of either a usable weapon or a physics package ending up in the wrong hands.

Of course that won't stop the doomsayers but I wanted to re quote what you wrote for truth

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

Then, too, assuming they're B61s, which is a near given, you just set the thing to disable and pull the handle. Takes maybe five seconds each, it's a rebuild at Pantex to fix.

If you've got more time you can easily dismount the initiator and boost gas and put the boots to them.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Why in the hell haven't you written a novel?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Well sure they're disarmed, but that's still a nice cache of refined nuclear material that in the wrong hands could be re-armed. Or, does the disarming process ruin the shape of the charge so that it would have to be re-processed to be re-weaponized? I don't really think these nukes are in much danger (if they're still there even), just curious.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well it seems you can stop worrying about whether Turkey is going to hold the base hostage, as the US is back to running and gunning from it...

www.incirlik.af.mil...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
I'm almost convinced Erdogan orchestrated this coup against himself.

At first I believed it was an opposition planned coup, possibly backed by Russia. More and more, it is looking like a false flag orchestrated by Erdogan.

The strange report of the F-16 interception without shoot down lends a lot of credence to this likelihood.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Why in the hell haven't you written a novel?

Oddly enough, I am! It's military fantasy. Sort of. A genre I haven't found yet, excepting maybe Harry Turtledove.

Only it's sort of tangentially biographical, and incorporates a lot of people I know with minimal name changes to avoid law suits. Although they are probably less military in the book. I couldn't do a novel with f* being 5-10% of the word count.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBadCabbie

Well sure they're disarmed, but that's still a nice cache of refined nuclear material that in the wrong hands could be re-armed. Or, does the disarming process ruin the shape of the charge so that it would have to be re-processed to be re-weaponized? I don't really think these nukes are in much danger (if they're still there even), just curious.

Well, it's good material but a bit technical for an AQ Khan special. AQK weapons are compression uranium, the W61 uses...um...composites with other ahhh stuff that's sort of fused together in ways that's tough to get separated. Not that you couldn't if you worked at it.

There's a nice bit of plutonium in, of pretty decent quality. However, building plutonium weapons is like the black haired Swede.

I would expect the AF dismounted the physics packages and sent them home to mama and left the tamper and casing behind. The self destruct just fuses the electronics and the special bits used for doing multi-point detonation.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: ketsuko

And you have finally two possibilities listed for what could happen. Either Turkey could expel the US and NATO and take the nukes for itself making for a nuclear armed Muslim nation precipitating an arms race in the MIddle East.

Or you have the possibility that a terror operation mounts a successful attack on the base and manages to take one for itself.

I really hope neither of those 2 scenarios come to fruition...

Great write up Ketsuko. I'm looking forward to hearing from others on this situation

Nuclear Turkey may start WW3 on its own. As North Korea technically can. Turkey attacks someone, be it Russia, be it Iran, Saudi, anyone. It will make chain reaction of retaliations. Greece is unlikely to be attacked by those potential nukes, but the relations that are already frosty could further downgrade if Greece refuses to surrender the officers with the helicopter. Turkrey looks for excuses and will find one. A war with Greece although conventional (Turkey has overwhelming majority) is more dangerous than war with Iran. Because Greece is in NATO as well as Turkey, and NATO according to its charter cannot intervene in a conflict between its members.

I see the only fast track solution is NATO to suspend Turkey membership, and the US nukes to be withdrawn ASAP. Now when there is permission for flights there could be made air bridge with Incirlic. It is that bad.

Not because Turkey may turn to Russia and exit NATO. After all, the countries allied with Russia and Russia itself are not dangerous. But because Turkey is unpredictable with the erratic leader that just survived the coup. Any associations with Hitler's coup?

Although the relations with Russia seem to be restored to pre-Syrian war, let not be any doubts. A country that can change policy in a month is not a country I would bet my life on its protection. As it is used to say, Turkey protected the Southern flank of NATO during the Cold War. A potential war with Greece will make Russia to choose between. Other scenarios are possible. Who could say a month ago the current scenario would happen? If an excuse for a mega war is sought, not only by Turkey, it will be found. As in WW1 Sarajevo.

If first Turkey is expelled from NATO, it can't invade Greece anymore because will trigger article 5 for collective defense. But if Turkey is still a member of NATO and attack Greece, NATO can't intervene militarily. In such situation the only hope of Greece infront of overwhelming army, will remain a speedy intervention of Russia on behalf of Orthodox Christianity and other ties between the two countries. Paradox, NATO that should guarantee the security of its member states, is not prepared for a phenomenon Dictatorship to rise from one of its member states and attack others. Why Greece, and not Syria? Seems Turkey follows its long term goals that are not published on CNN or other Western reports. If the goals of Turkey were Syria, Jerusalem, Mecca, as in the days of Ottoman empire, it would do it already. Nothing stopped Turkey to go that direction. ISIS could be the excuse. Instead, Turkey chose to aid ISIS until now.

I hope Kerry was serious when saying that Turkey may leave NATO, and that will be taken as preventive measure against a dictator who could be expected to do everything thinkable and unthinkable.
edit on 21-7-2016 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Arming codes, not launch codes, these are airplane delivered bombs, not missiles.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

GREAT books ,history revision and all.
My favorite would dovetail a real military reaction/op to a..thing
If you tickle our keys TR3B wise and HEY some of the stuff on that other thread will work FINE.
I can now promise you a best seller once you work out dialogue and descriptions ...without doing bad by the man...
and may I throw my hat in for the my dabute cover as well?
edit on 21-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

If you tickle our keys TR3B wise and HEY some of the stuff on that other thread will work FINE.

I keep trying to interest someone in a sort of "Final Countdown" script version of the 'TR3B' issue. Remember that awful Navy movie, got them a huge funding increase and recruits out the wazoo? And most if not all the extras and locations were free...

Mostly along the lines of 'Hey, you guys wanted to start conditioning the public on this stuff, why not a movie that's, you know, built around the real thing presented as a movie prop? Free locations, free extras...just like 'Final Countdown', and when you get to the punch line 50 years from now, you can say 'We didn't hide anything! We made a damned movie showing you, you just didn't believe us!'

I envision it as a Forbidden Planet remake, only this one's more like 'Forbidden Planet - the Engineer's Tale', and it stars this homely but sensitive and brave systems engineer who is retired Army but gets forcibly recruited back into the Navy as the engineer of the craft (C57D probably won't do for a Naval designation). The trips aren't pleasant, they're boring except when parts fly off and the brave engineer has to keep the thing going, and they mostly go to Planet Dirt, which isn't much of an improvement except you don't have to keep fixing things or die. Mostly.

Then one day the Planet Dirt radio telescope, a simplistic but functional bit of kit they had cobbled together to take advantage of the low radio noise there, picks up a transmission from the Bellerophon, a British ship which, like so many of the European ones, just vanished on its maiden voyage without a trace...

The novel that's beating me to death right now is less technical. I was talking over something with friends that happened back at the dawn of time in the early 80s which I successfully dodged. And it jogged a memory, and that memory was this...at one point, there was this total CF which was called 'Project Jedi'. Most of it was a total crock, and it was fairly brief and died a cruel and well deserved death.

But. I recalled one guy I knew somewhat who got dragged into one of the only units that was connected with an aspect of it that survived the end of the original project. And one day over beers he said something like 'We always had the impression we were carefully selected to clash, mistrained, and then set up to fail in a spectacular and ridiculous fashion', only with spicier language.

The implication being, of course, was that some of it DID work, it scared the brass, they turned the original project into a set of clown shoes to hide the fact that it worked if you did it right, and sequestered the real thing in such a way you'd never hear about it.

Did that happen? Who knows? BUT...it's a cool concept, which I appropriated and modified a bit. Given who it was they were trying to train, in the novel outline a couple of the original project guys figured out how to do the thing operationally, kept it to themselves, left the program and took their nifty knowledge to 1st Special Warfare Training Group, which forms an off the books project to train and manage a very few SF to do this thing in the field, and keeps it tightly hidden from the Army, CIA and SRI.

It being the Army, though, it all falls to bits and the guys in the project get ground up in big geo-political wheels.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Erdogan cut the power to the base and it hasn't been restored,

I mean really as if that matters. The military has generators built into bases and if they don't have them. They have ability to purchase material like generators from civilians sources and use C-5 Galaxies to transport them to Turkey.

But chances are they have generators on site.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Go PM before we get yelled at...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
They can't just "expel" our troops and keep our weaponry. Do you really think the U.S. would simply say "Aw shucks.. ok, you can have 50 weapons of mass destruction." They know if they did that, they are basically declaring war on the U.S. They won't do this. I'm sure all U.S. brass has their eyes closely on the situation, along with a contingency plan in case Turkey becomes abruptly very stupid.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What, is the US military too afraid of what the turks will say to protect their own men? That's just sad.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   
The nukes at Incirlik are not protected by or even accessible by Turkish forces. They are under guard by American forces.
Their purpose is for them to be used by the Turkish Air Force against Russia, or back then, the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact in the event the two blocs went to war and it went nuclear.

Saying they are protected by Turkish troops is as stupid as saying F22 and B2 deployments abroad are protected by local forces and not American forces or that a carriers on port visits around the world have foreign troops embarking to protect it while in port.

Sheer lunacy.

Just think about what it is.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I guess the conspiracy minds are working hard on something that isn't and wasn't even close to what happened.

The base is back to running normal but without commercial power...the US is and was in no danger of losing it's nukes to Turkey, they never were going to hold the base hostage, and they have reopened it for the fight to resume against ISIS.

So you can take the tinfoil hats off and let your brain breathe again the US has still got their nukes in Turkey under their control as they always did.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join