It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words and catch phrases that really frack you off

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Great thread! Makes me wanna scream when I thank someone and they say, "No Problem".
I'm from Arkansas so I cant even get into the things that people say that bug me. It would take pages.
Ya'll know as you'nz should , it just bugs the heck outta me!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Too much trendy language :

1. ending too many sentences with "really...?" to connote disdain regarding something someone else said or did.
2. using too many abbreviated words "what's the sitch?" Is it so much work to pronounce the entire word "situation"?
3. too many trendy catchphrases "its all good..." Is it? Is it really ALL good? Hmmmm...

Sal

a reply to: PushPullDestroy

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Number 4 w/a bullet: "It is what it is..."

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I have The Detour to thank for my "catch phrase"

Because I live in West Virginia and it seems everyone here thinks it's cute to sound like a moron.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Bae.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The trend of starting an answer to a question with the word 'so'.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
"And so it begins"

That is the single most annoying thing I've read anywhere and it is most common on ATS.

First of all, how the hell do you start a sentence with the word "And"?

What exactly is beginning? With that phrase being used so much I have to wonder if whatever is beginning is run by some lazy ass people.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

When someone says I have to go to the ATM Machine ATM = Automatic Teller Machine so they are saying I am going to the Automatic Teller Machine Machine.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

*top of the list - "Who's your daddy?" - has to be the most twisted and disturbing slang phrase ever! Most times I have heard it used, it's highly inappropriate as well.

*another one, a bit newer, is "hot mess". The usage here isn't even consistent.

*any ridiculous PC nonsense term, made up to appease this or that group, instead of plain words that actually mean something.

*mispronouncing common words, or misusing them - to/two/too, as a start, and a host of others.

*"flammable" - Come on, it's "inflammable", meaning capable of being set on fire, i.e. capable of being inflamed!

I have little tolerance for people who murder the language.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The word pulp. Or pulpy .

Moist pulpy "insert noun here"

Oh you sick, sick people...get your mind out of the gutter...the noun is obviously orange...

~meathead

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Interesting topic! Here are some of mine.

1) "Check your privilege". Like how about you check YOUR privilege? Everybody loves to be the repressed victim, and yes I get that white males have more privilege than a minority born in the ghetto or whatever. But it's all relative. Some people were born in 3rd world countries and have to travel just to get clean water. The fact is, if you are on a computer arguing with someone about their privilege, you were born with privilege, too.

2) "Just saying". O rly? I needed that clarification, thanks. I thought you were using interpretive dance or something.

3) "Cray cray". Not sure why. I think maybe because of the whole "it's trendy for girls to call themselves crazy" movement that is going on. But no, that's not what that word means. It's not some fun thing that scares boys. Being crazy is a very real and tragic thing. It would be like people who pride themselves on saying dumb things calling themselves "tard tard".

4) "PC Master race". Way to appropriate and make light of the very sick idea of eugenics to make a pure race of Aryans ruling the world.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: thepixelgarden
#3 made me laugh out loud...
My dog abruptly looked up at me with this certain expression and Im sure she was thinking " what a tard tard!"

~meathead

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: thepixelgarden

#3 reminds me of the trend of referring to women as "bitches". When did that become socially acceptable?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

There is a segment of my gender, who act like dogs in heat, it does not surprise me they refer to females with that term..

Good point.

~meathead

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Any political slant rhetorical terms... just because it seems to become a parrot speaking than anyone with any actual personal understanding or opinion on whatever topic.

Here's a short list of ones politics have grabbed and has infected the masses with:

Emboldened
Slippery Slope
Indoctrinate
Vitriol

I am sure there are more, but I have been avoiding politics and most political threads on purpose these days.

Seems every politician gets one so it echo chambers through the entire populous focused on the political spectrum until it permeates out and even many years afterwards.

I saw Vitroil used in a comment recently not here, that said so and so's lyrics are a vitriol stained tapestry... Vitriol is an old word for sulfuric acid there wouldn't be stains there would be gaping holes.

It's like when someone says full of piss ind vinegar when it should be piss and vigor, personalization sure why not but the meaning becomes meaningless with such things after awhile and such rhetorical spewings using such words simply makes someone appear on the take, pushing an agenda either consciously aware or subconsciously not...

Just something I've noticed

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: sassymcsnickerson
Great thread! Makes me wanna scream when I thank someone and they say, "No Problem".

This is mine. Doesn't upset me but I find it... discordant, I guess you could say.

When I say "thank you" and someone says "no problem," I feel kind of like:

1. Did I ask if it was a problem? Not sure I care. I am thankful for whatever it is. That has nothing to do with how easy or difficult it was for you.

2. Are you implying that had it been a problem, maybe you wouldn't have helped me? Should I not ask you again for (help, service, whatever they did for me) if in the next instance it seems like it might be a problem or bother on your side?

3. What I'd like is for you to acknowledge my gratitude with something like, "You're welcome," or "glad to help," or anything that isn't "no problem," as if you are too cool for such heavy emotion like thanks (haha). It is a human connection. I feel like I reached out to make the connection and you half-brushed me off.

But then, you know, I realize, geez I'm getting old (GET OFF MY LAWN) and this person probably has never even THOUGHT about what they say in this instance, they have no bad intent whatsoever, in fact to them, "no problem" MEANS "thank you" because that's what they grew up with.

Sigh. So I should get over it I guess... :-)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

* People who type using numbers in place of letters. Why?? Just...no.

A long time ago that began and evolved as something called leetspeak and virally infected Internet chat rooms. I can clearly remember seeing it for the first time, ranting for hours about how stupid I thought it was... right before spending hours coding it into endless chat macros and scripts.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Heh...

Even now, when the clock switches over to 13:37, I turn to whomever is around and say "would you look at that! It's leet o'clock!"

And the real irony of that is, that I was never into that junk. It's just funny when it happens, and I happen to be looking at my clock!

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: RedCairo

I think it is just a modern way of saying "Don't mention it" which was a perfectly normal response to being thanked back in the day.

It is meant to reassure the individual who is doing the thanking, that your efforts on their behalf are but a trifling matter, when compared to ones vast reserves of stamina, effort, energy and commitment, and that you would certainly do the same thing, and more, a thousand times without feeling put out by it in the least.

Back in the day, it was considered the height of rudeness to inconvenience another person, to cause them to put themselves out on ones behalf. That is, of course, stupid, and responses similar to "no problem" or "don't mention it" were supposed to dispel any sense of a debt being owed by the person who has been assisted by the speaker of those phrases.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: RedCairo
responses similar to "no problem" or "don't mention it" were supposed to dispel any sense of a debt being owed by the person who has been assisted by the speaker of those phrases.

Ah. Yes, that is a good point I hadn't considered -- it did probably evolve from that concept. Thanks. :-)

RC

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join