It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Singer Curses at Inaugural Youth Concert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Brett Scallion, lead singer for the Pennsylvania band, Fuel, that played for a concert hosted by the Bush twins to honor teenage volunteers, used profane language to express his pride in America. George W. Bush arrived after the faux pas to praise the teenagers. The audience also included many preteens who were attracted by the appearance of Hilary Duff.

www.comcast.net
You might say the Janet Jackson moment of President Bush's inaugural festivities came Tuesday at a youth concert with hundreds of preteen Hilary Duff fans in the audience.

No nudity was involved, but the Vince Neil-style profanity probably didn't win rock band Fuel any fans at the Federal Communications Commission, nor from the parents at the concert. Now the Pennsylvania band is just hoping the concert, "America's Future Rocks Today," wasn't aired live.

Borrowing a word from Motley Crue's Neil, the lead singer of Fuel proclaimed, "Welcome to the greatest ----ing country in the world." Brett Scallions followed with a quick apology of "excuse my language."

The FCC is investigating Neil's wish to band mate Tommy Lee for a "Happy ----ing New Year," which aired live on NBC on New Year's Eve.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is getting out of hand. I'm a Marine. I can curse with the worst. I've heard it all, but I can control myself in "polite company." I know that these filthy rich celebrities are just pushing the envelope because they can afford the fines and whatnot. What is most concerning is that we may be witnessing an entire generation who find it impossible to express themselves without profanity. With all the preteens in attendance, the hosts of the event and its intent, it will be interesting to see what, if any, fallout there will be. If Fuel has a record out, it will probably sell out tomorrow.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.wjla.com

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I don't think there will be any fallout, and I don't think it's a bg deal. With respect GradyPhilpott, the concert wasn't "polite company." I think the country is too easily shocked and should take a breath and look up the word "relevant."

That said, I don't think an entire generation should be judged by a well publicized incident. I hail from said generation, and I believe my attempts at alliteration are not only without profanity, but concise and with value(my own opinion of course, if we don't have that what do we have
).

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
A hall full of teens and preteens is not polite company? I failed to note any attempt at alliteration in your response, with the exception of the phrase "attempts at alliteration." If that is what you are speaking of, then I commend you for resisting the urge to insert a profanity into such a concise phrase.

[edit on 05/1/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
A rock concert is not polite company. The lyrics expressed in their cds are listened to by these same adolescents, they have heard it before and probably expect to hear it in person, live and on stage. Also, take a look at context; most vulgarities of this type are used in an actual offensive manner. He was being patriotic, albeit crassly.

I stand by my opinion.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
At least he cursed in a patriotic way, which more than what most Hollywood celebs and other rock stars do.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
To be blunt: Who cares? Freedom of expression.

Unless a person is living a sheltered life, he/she has probably heard the word used before by a relative or some form of entertainment (music, tv, movies, sat. radio). If parents have not developed a line of communication with their children, I suggest they attempt to put down the remote, pen, keyboard, mouse, work, or whatever else and get to know their kid.

Mitch: "...and all I want to do is get some .... sleep. "
Beanie: "'Whoa. Whoa. Why the ...? Why in front of the kid? All ya gotta do is say "earmuffs" to him, and you can say ..., ..., ..."
Frank: "...., ...."
Beanie: "I'm just trying to make a point, Frank. You don't have to celebrate it."

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
GradyPhilpott you know just as well as I know that the taboo on certain words of the English vocabulary needs to be 'lifted'. Language should not be censored. It's the primary way of obtaining knowledge and the only way to transfer ideas. 'Curse words' can be the most efficient and meaningful way to convey an emotion.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Are we back to Puritan England?

Can you say "Rock star"??????
Can you say.....

If Fuel has a record out, it will probably sell out tomorrow.

IF?????
TRY 6!!!

I guess Republican rock stars aren't supposed to curse.

(Rumor has it that "W" uses the "F" word constantly!!)

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If Fuel has a record out, it will probably sell out tomorrow.

LOL If Fuel has a record out!? They've had several CDs out and they all sell out. Fuel is a very large band at the moment!

I like a lot of what they do. I am one of those that feels that you can get a message through without all the vulgarity, but that's just me....

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It never seems to amaze me, our so called celebrities and their mouths. I was always taught to behave in public, but I never had a record or could carry a tune in a bucket. I spent my career cursing with the best and I just don't want to hear this stuff all the time. I suppose that once you become a legend in your own mind celebrity, you can do what you want......NOT.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm so sorry I've never heard of Fuel. I listened to some of their music last night and I have to say that what I heard is not particularly inspiring. I agree that all the words are important, but context is everything and profanity does not belong in every venue. ATS comes immediately to mind. If you can't express yourselves without profanity or expletives of any form, you need to work on your vocabulary, because there will come a time when a slip of the tongue will cost you dearly.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It's very difficult to explain why profanity in normal everyday conversation is so objectionable, especially if you're trying to explain it to the younger generation. They have taken it from shock effect and made it part of their vocabulary.

I take it as a sign of plain laziness or poor vocabulary. IMO, you should talk the way you'd be comfortable talking to your grandmother, or other person you respect, or have influence over, like your child or her school teacher.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Most of the kids there prob curse worse than any Rock Star anyway

Excuse my ignorence but who on Gods Green Earth is Hilary Duff?

EDIT:Forget that i just Googled her, shes pretty Hot!

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
While I am not a marine I can certainly curse with the worst of them too -- but one thing I find funny nowdays is I was the other day I said "Oh balderdash" and I would have gotten less of a reaction if I had said "That's **ing nonsense" Which I have been known to say also.

jm

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Golly gee! Hilary Duff has a guitar shaped like a, hmm, well, shaped like a, let's see, a, well, a heart. I think.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
now Grady -- where is your mind? Are you old enough to qualify as a Dirty Old Man? Or just a young man with a good imagination.
And as a Marine you should recognize it --after all it is a "Purple Heart"

jm

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Old enough to go to jail for that!!

again.... ROCKSTAR!!!

If you want nicy nice, listen to Top 40, not rock.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Oh, yeah. The Purple Heart. I should have recognized it right off the bat. All it needs is a bust of Washington and a gold border.

[edit on 05/1/19 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join