It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THIS is Why ALL LEOs Have a Target on Their Backs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This judge is absolutely right, and it's a good start in addressing our abuse and brutality issues --
Judge throws out ex-L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca's plea deal, saying six months in prison not enough

But I cannot believe I have not heard about this before now. When BLM is totally unavoidable on virtually all media... and the dead victims of cops playing judge/jury/executioner are dragged through the mud throughout the media... and any/all criticism of law enforcement is declared "anti-cop"... how is it that the criminal investigation, prosecution and guilty plea of the nation's largest county's SHERIFF regarding ABUSE AND BRUTALITY by his deputies is pretty much ignored by the major media??? And all the political talking heads???

Ex-L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca pleads guilty in jail scandal

Retired Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca pleaded guilty Wednesday to lying to federal investigators, a stunning reversal for the longtime law enforcement leader who for years insisted he played no role in the misconduct that tarnished his agency.

So, technically, this pathetic excuse of a sheriff only pled guilty to lying... what he lied about is more disturbing, such as:
  • The threatening visit to an FBI agent's home
  • Hiding the inmate informant (for the FBI)
  • Halting FBI interview with inmate

And that's just the beginning of his suspected/alleged crimes:

Los Angeles (KABC) -- Eyewitness News has learned that former L.A. County Sheriff Leroy Baca was under investigation by his own department for more than two years for alleged conspiracy to obstruct justice. The L.A. County District Attorney's Office has now declined to file charges against Baca or his former Field Deputy Bishop Edward Turner, who was being investigated for alleged charity fraud and theft.

D.A. declines to file charges against former LASD Sheriff Leroy Baca, Bishop Turner

I had many thoughts come to mind when I read this article, but a couple stand out: This is the largest county in the USA... that's a whole lotta people who were betrayed by a law enforcement official they voted for and put in office.... that's a whole lot more who didn't vote for him, but also know just how corrupt and abusive he was of the people.... and that includes a whole lot of Black people. THIS is what people know. All across the country. Just because ever sheriff or police chief or whatever hasn't been charged and prosecuted doesn't mean it isn't the reality. (Absence of evidence does not equal absence of a crime. Especially when the guilty are investigating themselves.)

THIS sheriff and every one like him are the ones who give ALL officers a bad name... and THEY are the reason ALL LEOs have a target on their back. It's too easy for a few bad apples to spoil the whole bunch, and turning a blind eye to the abuse and corruption is a disservice to every good and honorable LEO out there. They deserve better. Much better.

Most of all, it's absolutely disgraceful and shameful that this abuse and arrogance and corruption is (and has been) pretty much ignored in the national discussion. Trying to find further information turned up lots of local L.A. sources, but not much on the national level. Pathetic.

If we want to stop the wanton killing of law enforcement, we must address the very legitimate concerns of the public and the crimes of too many law enforcement agencies/officers... not all, but too many.

---------------------------------

More:
Hear the lies that federal prosecutors say Sheriff Lee Baca told them
Former deputy testifies about jail beatings, FBI sting
Exclusive: ABC7 Eyewitness News obtains evidence against Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department defendants
Tanaka convicted on conspiracy and obstruction of justice charges -- Baca's righthand man and partner in crime
Plagued By Scandal, Sheriff Lee Baca Resigns to Avoid Bruising Re-Election Battle
Sheriff Lee Baca Facing Tough Re-Election Challenge From Two Top Commanders
Sheriff Baca accused of retaliating against department officials
Investigation: Did Sheriff Lee Baca's fury push deputies to break the law?
Full Disclosure Network: "The News Behind the News"

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

That's why "ALL" of them do, eh?

Way to lump people into groups and then stereotype / dehumanize them.

You do realize that your precise reasoning there cuts a million different ways, hardly any of them good (except maybe in comedy), when applied across all social group inter-relations?

I actually loathe the militarized cops. Attracts a lot of power-trippers. But I very rarely have to deal with them, unlike what's going on in ATS these days all day every day.
edit on 19-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I think there is a problem with legal system in this country. At the most basic level, I am sure we can all agree that the more money you have, the less likely you are to be convicted. This is unacceptable and although it may not be able to be ever completely done away with, we should take steps to limit this.

I also think there are bad cops that need to be terminated or jailed depending on what makes them bad. I have only read this article, but it appears this sheriff is one of the ones that should be jailed.

I want to point out that you are painting with a broad brush though. You say this is why all leo's have a target on their back. Well it seems as if most of the people painting that target lately are BLM types. Would it not be fair to say that given the statistics of violent black criminals, that this behavior has painted a target on all blacks? If you can justify one whole group as having a target, why not the other?

The truth is that I think a lot of people were convinced there were problems with officers and the legal system, but the media, academia, and groups like BLM's insistence that it is only abusive towards black people doesn't bare out in fact. As a result of these selfish lies, many people that would have otherwise been voices against corrupt law enforcement are being ostracized, and now siding with the police.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
LA and Orange County sheriff are horribly corrupt.

Its real bad.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a very important case which will never make front page though. you should have added 'black' or 'blm' to the title...

he's going to get a nice retirement and live it up in a gated community away from those he caused plight, and probably be get decent work as a guest speaker, and maybe an award? maybe...

Justice for all! Merka.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Its real bad.

That may be true, but when the OP says this is why "ALL" LEOs have targets, the OP is basically justifying the killing of the LEO way out here in Kansas City today. Is that LEO part of the corrupt dept. out in LA? No, so why does this justify the target on that officer who lost his life today?

Does it justify the targets on the officers in Dallas, who by all accounts worked for a well run PD in their city?

Does it justify what happened to the officers in Baton Rouge?

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Maybe he can be a Fox News contributor later, like Mark Fuhrman or Oliver North. I hear Fox about to be less on personnel.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That's why "ALL" of them do, eh?

Way to lump people into groups and then stereotype / dehumanize them.

No. I'm not the one lumping any group all together.

But those who have WRONGLY decided in desperation that they have no peaceful means of self-defense left from "THIS sheriff and every one like him" are the ones who are lumping all officers into one group.

They won't make the distinctions that I will... and neither have you.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Its real bad.

yup. got a friend in Santa Ana, joined the force about 4 years agao, making close to six figures. he's just joe schmo, not a special op or atf or special unit or anything.

the revenue from traffic tickets alone is cause for an investigation.
the amount of highway 'beautification' is cause for more concern. its ridiculous here.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Right. He's an ATS member. What about if some random ATS member goes on a serial rape spree, or embezzles millions of dollars from elderly people, etc. By his logic that would mean that "ALL" ATS members should have targets on their backs, which would also mean so should he.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Bad cops are bad cops. They prey on everyone, but why is it that you are excusing one group for doing this? No one sees other groups running around perpetrating mass cop killings all of a sudden and yet bad cops are going to prey on all of us.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
No. I'm not the one lumping any group all together.

But those who have WRONGLY decided in desperation that they have no peaceful means of self-defense left from "THIS sheriff and every one like him" are the ones who are lumping all officers into one group.

They won't make the distinctions that I will... and neither have you.

This was you, the one who defends against every single premise of BLM criticism at every turn:

THIS is Why ALL LEOs Have a Target on Their Backs
[thread title]

Now you're the voice of reason all the sudden?

A shame the way you have to frame, too, this is actually a good story.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I want to point out that you are painting with a broad brush though. You say this is why all leo's have a target on their back. Well it seems as if most of the people painting that target lately are BLM types.

That's a mighty broad brush you just painted folks with.... see how that works? Anyone who dares speak up against police brutality and corruption is tarred with that same broad brush and summarily dismissed. I can denounce BLM ten ways from Sunday, and I have, but I have also still been tarred with that same broad brush. I just provided proof, and instead of addressing the gross misconduct of a Sheriff, you go back to BLM...

Would it not be fair to say that given the statistics of violent black criminals, that this behavior has painted a target on all blacks?

No, it would not be "fair." As I discuss in detail here: Off duty, black cops in New York feel threat from fellow police.

If you can justify one whole group as having a target, why not the other?

I am not justifying anyone targeting anyone; identifying, recognizing and acknowledging has nothing to do with "justifying."

But since you ask, who is targeting who? Who targeted who first? Who has all the power???
NYPD captain caught on tape ‘pressuring officer to stop and question more black men because they are more likely to be criminals’

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I think there is a problem with legal system in this country.

the situation was inevitable once you start Policing For Profit ...

edit on 19-7-2016 by Tellurian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Its real bad.

I've heard that the new sheriff is better? Is that not true? Or just relative... as in Baca was sooooooo bad that even this guy looks good?

I think the last OC sheriff left in disgrace too, didn't he?

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

he's going to get a nice retirement and live it up in a gated community away from those he caused plight, and probably be get decent work as a guest speaker, and maybe an award? maybe...

Maybe not??? I know that ^^^ was probably the deal, probably what Baca expected, but maybe this judge has some real cajones and knows it just ain't going to fly in this environment. I'd like to think the judge would impose an appropriate sentence for all the right reasons, but it's almost too much to hope for.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

...the OP is basically justifying the killing of the LEO way out here in Kansas City today.

I am justifying nothing... Just stating the reality.

THIS is what people know. All across the country. Just because ever sheriff or police chief or whatever hasn't been charged and prosecuted doesn't mean it isn't the reality. (Absence of evidence does not equal absence of a crime. Especially when the guilty are investigating themselves.)

See that finger you're pointing at me? Now look at the others pointing right back at you.

By refusing to recognize, acknowledge and condemn police brutality and corruption, much less hold these LEOs accountable for their very real crimes, you are justifying and reinforcing the very real perception that there is no peaceful recourse. You make their perception the reality.

In another thread, you asserted something to the effect that you have to assume ALL Muslims are bad because you know that SOME are bad. You should likewise understand why so many people would assume that ALL cops are bad because they know that SOME are bad.

In either case, I refuse to play that game. It's not fair. It's not right. It's not just. It's not the American Way.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Dirty cops, like dirty politicians, need to be made examples of every time.

Conversely, many if not most career politicians are scum. They start wars (both foreign and nowadays domestic race wars), and so on (a LOOOONG list of evil). It doesn't mean they should "ALL" be gunned down.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

That's a mighty broad brush you just painted folks with.... see how that works? Anyone who dares speak up against police brutality and corruption is tarred with that same broad brush and summarily dismissed. I can denounce BLM ten ways from Sunday, and I have, but I have also still been tarred with that same broad brush. I just provided proof, and instead of addressing the gross misconduct of a Sheriff, you go back to BLM...

Must have missed the part where I said this sheriff should go to jail it seems. The reason people are tarred with this brush, unfairly might I add, is that the media, BLM and academia have shoved the narrative down our throats so far. I criticized our legal system and some police in my intial post did I not? My point is the lies of BLM and their supporters have drown out all reasonable discussion.

No, it would not be "fair." As I discuss in detail here: Off duty, black cops in New York feel threat from fellow police.

So you are ok lumping in one group of people because of the actions of a few, but not lumping in another group? You seem quite reasonable.

I can post links too. www.city-journal.org... 1.html

The point is if you ask cops, they would have more of a fear of a black criminal being violent. Statistics back this up. So why are you (correctly) unwilling to say all lack people have a target on their back, but will do that for cops? Is your bias showing through?

I am not justifying anyone targeting anyone; identifying, recognizing and acknowledging has nothing to do with "justifying."

But since you ask, who is targeting who? Who targeted who first? Who has all the power???
NYPD captain caught on tape ‘pressuring officer to stop and question more black men because they are more likely to be criminals’

You are jsutifying it based on the fat that you are saying blacks should not have a target on them. Fine lets take away the phrase justifying, why can you understand cops having a target on them, but not blacks?

And yeah, there are crappy cops. But the reason that this problem will never be solved is because of people like you and BLM. You jump at any blame that police have, which there is certainly some, and yet ignore the lies told by BLM and others, and even worse refuse to recognize any culpability in inner cityy black communities where most of these police shootings of blacks occur.

Its like what came first the chicken or the egg. Do black people commit more violent crimes and resist police more because the police are more aggressive towards them, or are the police more agressive to black people because they commit more violent crime and are more likely to resist.

As long as the main narrative being pushed by people like you, the media, our president, BLm and academia is that blacks are always oppressed and never at fault for anything, then no positive change will occur.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Right. He's an ATS member.

She.

What about if some random ATS member goes on a serial rape spree, or embezzles millions of dollars from elderly people, etc. By his logic that would mean that "ALL" ATS members should have targets on their backs, which would also mean so should he.

No, that would be your logic... and anyone who thinks that identifying the problem is justifying the problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join