It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Sick of contradictory double-speak

page: 1

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:03 AM
This little rant/stab hails from Australia.

In the state of Western Australia, caged MMA fighting is currently banned. All of it has to be done in a boxing ring.

Note: this isn't the point of my post. I'm just adding this little tidbit to give the readers some context as to what I'm angry at. I'll provide the quote as well as the source.

THIS is what gets me:

But emergency physician and AMA WA spokesman David Mountain said MMA should be outlawed. "He (Mr McGowan) should be saying that we don't want cage fighting in a liberal democracy where we don't condone interpersonal violence, don't condone terrorism and we don't want to teach our kids that the way to sort things out is to pummel each other in the middle of a cage."

Note the two words this moron used. LIBERAL DEMOCRACY.

Full article here.

Now, regardless of whether you think MMA is "morally acceptable" or not. It's a choice people make. It's up to the individual whether they choose to compete in the sport or not. This is vastly different to terrorism... you can't even compare the two. Terrorism is an occurence where people can go to their deaths as the result of some fool blowing a place up for some tyrannic, warped belief. Their freedom to live is taken from them on the say so of a fanatical group of people.

MMA fighting is a competitive sport. People who compete aren't FORCED into it. IT'S A CHOICE.

But my biggest gripe is how this fool can say "ban this" in the same paragraph as "liberal democracy". It's a joke.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:15 AM
I could wish all people who want to fight for their religion was doing it in a ring so that no peaceful person got hurt.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:32 AM
a reply to: PushPullDestroy

Yeah! Let's bring back gladiatorial contests to the death!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:37 AM
I'm not aware of the relative dangers of MMA v boxing.

I do know though, that bare knuckle fighting causes far less long term brain damage than boxing with gloves on.

It looks nastier and you damage your hands, but your brain doesn't get smashed about in your skull for as long.

The argument about stopping combat sports because they are dangerous could equally be applied to motor racing, rugby and any other number of sports.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 10:04 AM

They do know it is a SPORT right? Not a death match? At the end of the day both contenders go home!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:02 AM

originally posted by: sycomix

They do know it is a SPORT right? Not a death match? At the end of the day both contenders go home!

They called it a "pseudo-sport"

In any case, the point of this thread was to point out how much of a reality George Orwell's 1984 is.

The moron I quoted says "liberal democracy" while stating that the entire sport should be banned. He also compared it to terrorism which I think is just going overboard.

In Australia the state of WA is well renowned for being the nanny state of the country. I.e, when I visited the Northern Territory I would bull up at a fuel station out in the middle of nowhere and there would be at least 3 pokie machines and and a bar.

In WA, there is only one place you can go to gamble and play on pokie machines, and that is located in the state's capital.

Additionally, a newly introduced supermarket chain Aldi were forbidden from opening up a new alcohol store in a shopping centre because Woolworths already had one. The reason being: "we don't want to encourage bad behaviour"

Yes, I agree that all of these things aren't exactly healthy. But the problem is, the responsibility is taken away from the individual. In regard to MMA fighters, those who compete are well aware of the risks but they are passionate about what they do.

And an above poster is right; it can easily apply to other sports.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 08:17 AM
People should be allowed to join a mortal combat tournament if they so wanted. These people that want to ban everything need to be beaten with sticks.

Want to do drugs? Sure it's your own body.
Want to consensually fight someone to the death? Sure it's your own body.
Want to own your own nuclear weapons? Sure, the second amendment guarantees it.

This is the highest form of freedom.

Where is Sub-Zero when we need him to rip these peoples spines out?