It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Shed 9

page: 124
<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:15 PM
a reply to: kaelci
No need for blushes.
Just look in my book on page 241 and see if you can spot the typo. It's glaringly obvious once you see it.
(Oh, for those who don't have a print version, it's in chapter 18. The discussion between Kiya and the Goddess when they are riding along in their litters.)

Kaelci, we can discuss the other ones in your chapter later. There are not many and most are very picky. And don't worry about it! The main thing is you are writing. You are producing creative work! Fixing little glitches is secondary, okay?

Now I'm going to watch the Olympic opening ceremony from Rio.
Catch you all later.

And spare a thought for those athletes. For many of them, getting to the Olympic Games has been their dream. They have worked and worked, and now, they have reached a huge goal, one that very few will ever achieve. I admire all of them! Medals or no, they are worthy of our admiration, in my opinion.

PS: I have to log out now, but please check your PMs.

edit on 5/8/16 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:30 PM
a reply to: JustMike

Hi JustMike!!

Pleasure sir. Look forward to many more posts from you. My writting could use a little cleaning up. Will seek your knowledge out in the future.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:36 PM
a reply to: BASSPLYR
I'd be delighted to assist if I am able.
Feel free to send me a PM any time. Don't be concerned if I am slow to reply; I am sometimes away at the cottage and not online.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:37 PM
a reply to: kaelci

Morning kaelci!!

I gotta get all the different time zones figured out for all the members here. Your all from such diverse locations.

I too just had caffeine. I need it to navigate the los angeles bus system if i want to go look at renoirs this afternoon. I really hope they let me use non flash photography in the galleries using my phone.

Looking forward to more story time tonight if you please.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:40 PM
a reply to: JustMike

Sir if youre slow to reply because youre off in some cottage i wont be upset. Envious probably, but for good reason.

Studio apartment apartment...cottage. Pretty sure enchanted cottage wins.
edit on 5-8-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:46 PM

originally posted by: Night Star
Jungle adventures? UFO story? Damn, share with the rest of us! Sounds interesting!

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
The story was for kaelci and its hers now. She can do whatever with it as she pleases including posting it here just so long as she fixes my spelling errors first.

I have completed my task! Haha!
Dave, this story was nearly 2000 words, so two ATS posts. I think we have discovered that if there is a word limit in the U2U system, we haven't reached it yet! And I am once again amazed that you wrote all of this on a tiny phone screen.

This is Dave's story! Not mine! But I fixed up some spelling errors and linked some things, please enjoy!

When I was a boy in the late 80’s, my parents took me and my sister on a month long trip to Mexico. I’d never been to Mexico before and was an excited little boy about to see pyramids, I didn’t know what pyramids were but I knew they were exotic and steeped in mystery and adventure.

Life was dark those days and so I guess I felt strongly attached to the idea of escaping my world and was eager to explore Mayan and Aztec ruins, whatever those were.

So we first land in Mexico City, it was a strange exotic place to me. Different food, art and culture. Everybody speaking a different language. Although I was familiar with Spanish having grown up in Los Angeles. I still remember vividly the first breath of Mexican air as I stood at the bottom of the steps from the plane at the airport. The deep thick humid air, the scents and texture to it. It was different from Los Angeles air and instantly told me everything there was about my new environment.

Mexico City wasn’t what I expected, all I heard was overpopulated and polluted, but I found myself in the back seat of a taxi peering out the window at hotels and beautiful museums going past as the car sped through narrow congested streets.

I discovered that Mexico City had world class museums, great pride was put into building them as if each one was competing with the next one. I discovered that at the time Mexican hotels viewed swimming pools as a status symbol, the more the better. One had six pools. They were all different sizes and depths. I couldn’t understand why six pools, why not just one nice pool instead?

I ate cactus for the very first time, I didn’t like it, but I was a little boy. Now I eat cactus from time to time and actually enjoy it, tastes like overcooked string beans, not bad really.

We made our way outside of the city to the ancient pyramids of Teotihuacan.

It’s located in a valley just outside the city. It contains the pyramid of the moon, avenue of the dead and the monstrous pyramid of the sun at the far end of a wide avenue lined with smaller temples and ruins. I remember waddling behind an energetic tour guide as fast as my little legs could take me, eyes like saucers. The tour started at the end of the complex closest to the parking lot by the temple of the dead (hence the street infront of it called the avenue of the dead) I was in awe of the small pyramid before me. Adorned with carvings of skulls, grotesque monsters, and Aztec gods. I thought I was at the temple of doom in Indiana Jones or something.

Eventually the tour made its way a few hours later to the main showpiece at the far end of the boulevard. The temple of the sun. Its huge, really huge. It takes 20minutes to climb. They had to put chains down the steps like vines for people to grab a hold of to help them climb the steep stairs. I distinctly remember getting bitten by a fire ant for the first time while climbing on my hands and knees. Eventually we made it to the top. Up there with a panoramic view, there sits the ruins of a little temple no more than 15x15ft. That’s where they sacrificed the people.

We stayed around Central Mexico for another week visiting other Aztec and Toltec ruins before getting on the road and travelling to the Yucatan.

The Yucatan is dense thick jungle with more wildlife than I’d ever seen in my entire life. I remember looking out the hotel window and seeing my first wild toucan. I was disturbed that it didn’t look like the bird from the froot loops cereal box.

We visited Tulum, and Naranjo, then we got to the giant Mayan city of Chichen Itza.

It was a sprawling complex built in a wildgrass plain in a section of cleated jungle. We saw the Mayan ballcourts where spectators used to gather to watch athletes compete in games similar to soccer and basketball for the honor of being sacrificed to the gods if they won. I climbed around the uniquely circular “observatory”, a temple built to track Venus.

The center of the complex is a pyramid with rattlesnakes carved down each side. They don’t let you enter the pyramid now but back then they did. I remember you’d enter it by a tiny door on the side of where the steps of the pyramid landed. Basically the neck of one of the giant rattlesnakes. The inside was these narrow and very steep stairs that ascended to a small room with a cinnabar painted jaguar that was worshiped. Its red color had faded and was now pink, as a boy I thought that was funny. I remember the stairs were corroding limestone and very slippery and moist. Even deep inside the pyramids the jungles moisture and humidity permeate.

We drove further south deeper into the jungles towards Guatemala and Belize.

The highways were straight as arrow and they cut bold lines through the thick carpet of the jungle as far as the eye could see. The government erected polls on the sides every 100ft or so, so that drug runners couldn’t land their planes using the highways for drop-offs to whatever cartel they were doing business with.

We’d pass small villages of 20 or so people randomly established here and there on the side of the road, I was shocked when I noticed a dog on a spit over a fire in one of them, a barefoot family gathered around.

We had to stay in these villages as they had the only lodging around. My sister and I would excitedly run to the motels “pool” only to find that it was the local watering-hole for the denizens of the jungle. It was guarded by two very territorial 4ft iguanas that would chase you out, swimming right at you like a torpedo.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:47 PM
Part 2 of Dave's story

We eventually made our way to rather unique Mayan ruins called Uxmal. Uxmal was located about 2miles in the jungle off the highway in the middle of nowhere.

We parked the car on the side of the highway on a dirt pull off that had a sign saying Uxmal and an arrow pointing to a dirt path that led deep into the jungle. You’d have to walk through clouds of butterflies. Two crazy things happened while walking along this dirt path. Once while walking to the ruins and again on the way back out.

While halfway to the ruins on this muddy dirt path we saw a pair of morbidly obese tourists running as fast as they could around a bend in the path ahead of us yelling for us to RUN! We’re all standing there dumbfounded at this spectacle coming towards us. Then we find out what they’re running from. Around the corner lazily chasing them was a 300lb razorback hog with 4 inch tusks. Just trotting after them, its tail wagging like an excited dog. The boar could’ve run them down in a second but was clearly entertained and having the time of its life making the tourists run. He had no intention of hurting them but was obviously amused.

At the temple we climbed to the top and to my glee it was bat infested. They really liked my sister, swooping down at her hair. Again being a little boy I thought it was a riot and teased my sister about it.

On the way out, we head a creep howling coming from deep in the jungle on all sides of us. We didn’t know what it was but multiple animals and they were getting closed. Getting more uneasy as moments passed. The howling closed in around us like a noose. Then something grapefruit sized and lime green whizzed past my face. I turn to look and sitting up in a tree is an alpha male howler monkey and the rest of his troop. They had taken exception to us tromping through their territory and were pelting us with fruit. We all fled back to the car and left.

We returned to the north of the Yucatan to visit one last ruin. We stayed a night in the city of Merida on our way. It’s the capital of Mexico’s Yucatan province and it stands like an elegant Spanish city in the middle of expansive unforgiving jungle. I was surprised at such a sophisticated and beautiful city being located in the middle of nowhere.

We made it up to the exotic Mayan ruins of Palenque.

That evening something peculiar happened to me.

We were staying the night in a motel located next to the pull-off of the highway for the Palenque ruins. It was one of those 20 person villages, the motel their only business. The hotel was beautiful. Two stories with a thatched roof. The room were upstairs, we had two rooms that night. One for my parents and one for me and my sister. The rooms sat just above the canopy of the thick jungle. Your view if you were to look out the window was the lush carpet of deep green extending as far as your eye could see.

So the evening ended normally. My sister and I quickly fell asleep around 11.

In the middle of the night around 3am, for some reason I woke up. My sister was fast asleep. As if on cue and if in a trance, I got up out of bed and walked to the window. Like I was summoned. I saw a dully fiery glow coming from outside. There are no lights anywhere at this time of night other than the stars. Curious I stand on my tiptoes and peek out the window.

Everything stopped, my eyes grew wide and fearful. About 400ft away outside my window hovering was a 20ft wide silver ball glowing bright orangey-red illuminating the tree-tops of the jungle canopy. It just sat there hovering no more than 10ft above the trees for a few seconds. Startled birds hued in the craft’s red scattered out of the trees and flew away. I leaned in closer to the screened-in open window spellbound. No sound at all could be heard. Not a thing. The jungle was dead quiet. So was this glowing hovering ball. Then without warning it took off to a modest speed of maybe 150-200 mph and while still low to the tree-tops it glided as silent as a searchlight at night across my field of view from left to right until it was out of my view. It had flown off towards the ruins somewhere.

Oddly I just shrugged, turned around still in a trance and walked back to the bed. Crawled in and fell asleep, the ball seemed familiar to me somehow.

A week later we were back on a place landing in Los Angeles. The next Summer we returned to Mexico but this time touring the west coast. That story involves a sudden hurricane and other interesting stuff that I’ll save for later!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:49 PM
Ok so i braved the los angeles metro bus system and made it to the Getty.

The getty is located sitting high up on the side of the santa monica mountains like a citadel.

Heres shots of the tram as its about to pick us up and take us up to top where the museam sits

Part of me gets excited like a little kid when i get on a tram. I dont know why.

Shots halfway up the hill of the sepulveda pass and the imfamous 405 freeway. Had to sit in that traffic to get here. Bel air is in the background.

Ok im at the top and about to enter. Heres a shot of the front entrence.

But first im going to go to the right and visit the gardens

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:53 PM

Grrr I was on the 405 earlier. I wanted to pull out my hair. Great photos! I am reading your story now from kaelci!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:03 PM
Wonderful story Dave!!! Thank you Kaelci for sharing it with us! Also loved the pics of your little trip today. Did you get any museum shots? I love museums!

Hiya Qman!
edit on 5-8-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:08 PM
a reply to: Night Star

Hello good late afternoon I just got home.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:14 PM
Just found my antique book from the 1800's by Longfellow.

I love the following passage.

The setting of a great hope is like the setting of the sun.
The brightness of our life is gone.
Shadows of evening fall around us,
and the world seems but a dim reflection, itself a broader shadow.
We look forward into the coming lonely night. The soul withdraws into itself.
Then stars arise, and the night is holy.

_ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

edit on 5-8-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:19 PM

Wow that is beautiful!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:19 PM
a reply to: Quantum12

Afternoon? It's 8:19 pm here.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:20 PM

Oops it's 5:20 here lol

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:23 PM
a reply to: Quantum12

Hahaha! So it's evening then. I wasn't sure of the time difference between us.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:29 PM
The beautiful gardens.

The first few shots are of its entrencecwhich leads down to a pool with an azalea maze. Surrounding the pool is this enchanting garden.

Pretty sure its on loan from the accasia island botanical society and royal gardens.

edit on 5-8-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:30 PM

The sun is still shining. Taylor and her friends are cooking dinner. They won't let me see it. I invited my date from the other night over to eat at 7:00 she is super funny you would like her.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:30 PM

Beautiful there!👍

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:33 PM
Plans for tomorrow. Waking up before 6 AM, picked up 6:20, meeting others 'round 6:30 then to Montauk for the beach, grill and bonfire till the evening or night with a couple bottles of wine(I believe). About a two hour drive I believe. Six of us I believe. Should be good fun.

Oh and my manners! Hello everyone! How are you all?

new topics

top topics

<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>