It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A GOP Congressman Just Made An Argument For White Supremacy On Live TV

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The fact that people are discussing and dismissing what he said on a pc or mac "white" using the wireless connection "white" over the internet "white" sad really all this cultural appropriation of white culture.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

my reaction is to the idea that people should be thinking they are superior because they are white, or "western", or christian, or whatever!
when I look back in history in search of other groups that claimed such superiority, the first think I think of it hitler, the nazis, and their "superior aryan race"...

if christianity is so into liberty, why can I find crap like this written by supposed christians??

biblicalgenderroles.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Just as not all colonial-era slavery was about being whipped, picking cotton til their fingers bled and being shackled. Many slaves were practically family members, entrusted with the children, having their own quarters and generally being treated as civil as Whites treated each other. The amount of barbarity associated with slavery has been rather over-represented lately by popular media (think any Quentin Tarantino movie.

Just as Native Americans adopted slaves in to their tribes Whites accepted Blacks as family members too. That doesn't make for much drama so movies leave it out.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

..... Whites accepted Blacks as family members too.

That's because a lot of them were actually kin. But, plenty of Christian men sold their own children into slavery.

edit on 19-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I don't agree with a Eurocentric view of history, but you have to admit this thread is pretty funny. All these liberal types decrying western culture ignore the fact that, well.... western culture is the source of all their self-abasing scruples.

Liberalism is purely a Western political construct. Literally every other culture on this planet is very ethnocentric. Look at the Chinese, the Indians, the Japanese.... they are so ethnocentric and rigid it would make a liberal's head spin. If any of these people actually travelled the world they'd be in for a great shock. Instead they pay half-hearted, perfunctory lip service to exotic cultures that they barely understand (e.g. the Native Americans were LGBT nature fairies with progressive human rights laws). Cut the bullsh*t, give us all a break from your pretentious crap.

Face it, progressives: you are the epitome of Western culture, yet you don't even realize it. You are its greatest culmination, it's zenith, it's final form. In many ways, conservatives and reactionaries are less Western than you are.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

just as many females in colonial times weren't sold off to be wives, beaten, oppressed...
but many were!!

and as long as the laws allowed it, they had no recourse outside of living with the abuse.

but, let's consider for a moment just who is proclaiming the "superiority" of christianity and western culture.
first he is a dominionist.

biblicalgenderroles.com...

I ran across that article as a result of a google search for dominionism. they aren't proclaiming their superiority of western culture because of our liberal advances, they don't like unions, equal pay for equal work, women's rights, affirmative action, ect.
they are proclaiming their superiority because they truly believe that God has ordained them to rule with biblical law.
they are the christian counterpart to ISIS.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

I am actually a benevolent dictator believer.

Big bloated bureaucratic governments can and do accomplish nothing anf stifle evolution.

I would prefer a king ruler with intelligence perfectly balanced with his heart(emotions).

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I just wanna say I'm P.R.O.U.D. to be white.

Also, Rep. King is right.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

If you watch the entire interview it gives the entire thing context.

That was done specifically for a race bait.

This should be hoax binned.
edit on 7/19/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
a reply to: onequestion

It's not ok to be proud of being European or white without it being evil or racist is it??? Every single thing a white person says is racist.

I remember when pride actually meant something.
When one could be proud of a job well done or taking pride in overcoming difficult conditions or obstacles in ones existence.
You know actual accomplishments.

But noo, these days one can be proud for the accidental condition of their birth.
As though by just because of the color of their skin that they should be included in the accomplishments of all who have come before them.

What hubris, unmitigated gall, blind self aggrandizement, abject ignorance of history, culture, society!

White? Blanco please,, I'm "white" Italian, Irish & Dutch, I got a half brother that can grow an afro out to forever.
Lord know what's on the Dutch maybe some Asiatic influence from west of the Caucasus, who knows.
Point being you aint special or pure because you're "WHITE".

Now back to your vaulted Western Culture, most of Europe was a disease ridden cesspool during the dark & middle ages under the supremacy of your glorious christianity, while the middle east & west Mediterranean where heights of civilization so spare us the AB blather.

K~

Where did he claim to be special or pure because he was "White?" I understand what you mean about an accidental condition of birth.. Short of some pre-existance that we don't know about, how can we really take credit for who we are? This is true, but at the same time should we not hurt a fly because it didn't ask to be born of such a poor existance? Should we have mercy on a vicious killer because afterall, he didn't ask to be born? I used to think like you, but then I realized if we are to have any chance of having a world that's better 100 years from now than what we have today, we better fight for what logically will make a world a better place instead of defending poor ideals and ethics on the basis that no one's feelings gets hurt.

I also wonder, how do you judge the height of a civilization? Because a society was able to build great stone monuments on the backs of slaves and somewhat advanced farming and irrigation? These societies were as intolerant and as barbaric as any backwards society we see today. Although I'm not religious by any means, I recognize that Christianity brought us a revolution in tolerance and free thinking. Western civilization today as we know it was brought to us by Christian ideals of tolerance and compassion being adopted by societies. It was not an overnight change and not everyone lived by these ideals, but the world would have been a hek of lot more violent and intolerant without them.
edit on 19-7-2016 by Galacticsun because: Rewording a sentence.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Dominionists are throwing gay men from rooftops and beheading people now?
Man, I joined the wrong church!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
well, he came back today and explained what he said...

"It’s pretty close [to what I said]. What I really said was 'Western civilization' and when you describe Western civilization that can mean much of Western civilization happens to be Caucasians. But we should not apologize for our culture or our civilization," King told ABC News.

"The contributions that were made by Western civilization itself, and by Americans, by Americans of all races stand far above the rest of the world. The Western civilization and the American civilization are a superior culture."

abcnews.go.com...

no we shouldn't apologize for our culture, but if we are so superior, we should at least be able to admit our mistakes, be it slavery way back when, or spreading our "democracy" and "superior" way of life by force to countries that have no interest, or just aren't ready for it yet, or peddling worthless securities around the world.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Slavery continues today in the West and all over the world. Slaves did what they were told and didn't deviate from the task at hand, the same can be said of the work force but instead of being whipped for disobeying, you lose your source of income and thus quality of living declines. Once you hit poverty, you are being punished for not obeying the system and your life suffers because of it.

Slavery has only changed tactics to suit its destruction of the world all while billions of animals are slaughtered in inhumane ways every year for consumption. Billions of animals are enslaved just to be killed and cut up, many times their meat being wasted because it went out of date.

The West is just as guilty as any other culture for the ills in our world. That is my overall point, so these semantics games and goalposts being moved are pointless and are ignoring the overall point I'm making.

I have no idea why the subject goes so far off-topic every time we discuss something. You keep moving the goalposts and that's disingenuous.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I know you were not replying to me, but I would like to chime in if you don't mind.

There does seem to be a moving the goal post discussion to be had here, but why not start at the beginning? Rep. King was responding to a panel on MSNBC that was mocking the fact that the gop convention was just angry old white people. King basically defended these people, and now is being called a racists by people all over the place including by many people here on ATS.

He didn't blurt out for no people, "White people and the West are the best!" He was responding to someone criticizing old white people. Why is it not racist for MSNBC and academia, and the administration, and many others in the media to shout out all the evils of white people and the west, but if someone responds showing good things whites and the west have done, they are racist?

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I know you were not replying to me, but I would like to chime in if you don't mind.

There does seem to be a moving the goal post discussion to be had here, but why not start at the beginning? Rep. King was responding to a panel on MSNBC that was mocking the fact that the gop convention was just angry old white people. King basically defended these people, and now is being called a racists by people all over the place including by many people here on ATS.

He didn't blurt out for no people, "White people and the West are the best!" He was responding to someone criticizing old white people. Why is it not racist for MSNBC and academia, and the administration, and many others in the media to shout out all the evils of white people and the west, but if someone responds showing good things whites and the west have done, they are racist?

In my humble opinion, it was racist for the commentator to make a flippant comment about "old, angry white people" (although I suppose we do traditionally allow latitude for a person calling out members of their own race) and it was also racist for King to suggest that a person would have to look hard to find contributions made by other groups of people.

King was baited. King took the bait.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There are plenty of examples of people of color who did notable things and contributed to Western society. If you haven't studied them, that's not anyone else's problem.

Yes, I have. I might know more about their contributions than you but that isn't here nor their.

I also know about the contributions of people to the betterment of mankind but folks like the GOP person that said what he said, doesn't.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
It's not ok to be proud of being European or white without it being evil or racist is it???

Every single thing a white person says is racist.

Math is a big deal but let's be honest western culture has advanced civilization more rapidly in the past 100 years then the entire world has advanced technologically in thousands of years.

Weather white people or European people (did he even make that claim or was that put in his mouth?) are solely responsible for that I honestly haven't looked at the demographics but I would assume Asians and Germans are more responsible for advancements in technology than anyone.

*OT snipped*

racism is the belief that one race is superior to another

"Where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?”

that's textbook racism

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

He said “I’d ask you to go back through history and figure out where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you’re talking about. Where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?”

So he didn't say no groups had any contributions, just that they didn't have more. I agree as a politician this was a bad choice to discuss.

I will say that I have no shame saying I think that the western culture of today is the among the greatest if not the greatest ever in existence. I do not mean white people, I mean all of the west. Despite the many, MANY flaws of this society, I still think it is a great society. I also would not begrudge any member of a particular civilization taking pride in their civilization and thinking it was best. As long as they are not using the argument that they are best to harm others, I have no problem with healthy pride.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

You're moving the goalposts. For instance slavery now includes farm animals and the poor. War includes all military operations, including the evacuation of US nationals from other countries. And liberal democracies, the abolition of slavery, human rights, and secularism are without substance.

We went off topic because that is where you took it.

Conflating the west with whites, even though the west has been built by every race, and is the pinnacle of a nascent multiculturalism, is disengenuous.

The irony and beauty of the west is the very fact that you can criticize it without reprisal, and apparently, without having spent time living anywhere else.

edit on 19-7-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
No one should be "proud" to be a certain race, pride is something that should stem from something earned. You didn't earn being white, you were randomly selected.

Should you call the pride groups who have parades or should I do it? I have a feeling that they are not going to take it well. LGBT, Irish, black, hispanics, and many others... they didn't earn it.

We need to get on this. I'll grab my phone book.

I'm kidding of course. I find pride groups silly. Never see an honor student pride parade do we? That could be something to actually be proud of.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join