It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraq recalls 2,000 from Saddam's army

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
With the security situation reaching a critical point in the run up to the Iraqi elections, the Interior Ministry has called up 2 battalions. The 2 battalions, comprising 2000 men, were part of Saddam Hussein's army. The Interior Minister, Falah al-Naqib, stated "We needed to find a quick solution so we depended on some ex-military special units".

www.msnbc.msn.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - The security situation in Iraq is so critical now, NBC News has learned, that the Iraqi interior ministry has recalled two full battalions — about 2,000 men — from Saddam Hussein’s army, the same army the United States dissolved. All of them are retrained as special police to battle terrorism expected at polling stations on Jan. 30.

“We needed to find a quick solution so we depended on some ex-military special units,” said Falah al-Naqib, the Iraqi interior minister, told NBC News.

And in another departure from past practices, these units will also have the use of armored vehicles by Election Day, Jan. 30. Until now, only coalition troops have had heavy weapons to confront insurgents.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The security situation in Iraq has clearly deteriorated to the point where they are looking to reconstitute former Saddam elements to help out. No doubt the Republican Guards know how to quell a disturbance, but it may not be in the warm and fuzzy mode of the U.S. troops.

[edit on 1/18/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Yea but this may turn out to be a wise move. I bet you did not know that after the allies occupied Germany there were terrorism and many allied troops were killed. The West Germans brought back former SS soldiers to clean up the terrorism. They were Hitlers army but their tactics did the job. Maybe this will turn out to be a good thing.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
After WWII the allies quickly used nazis to run the country. Its a distasteful yet pragmatic solution.

Bloodline, what are you talking about, i am unfamiliar with the use of SS troopers to supress a nazi insurrection. Who was resisting if not the SS or the werewolves that they created? I thought that the nazis were used spy on and counter soviets?

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yea but don't forget, everyone was a forced Nazi. Many businesses were "nazified". The people who were terrorists were former Nazis, but the government did bring back SS troopers to combat the terrorists. Many SS soldiers led comfortable lives after the war and still collected military pension under the democratic governemnt.

*edit* yea you are right about the werewolves and us using former Nazis to spy on the communists. I just took a history class on Germany and the 20th century, I will check the book with the quotes, and quote it and give u the name of the book when I can find it.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Bloodline of God]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
not all soldiers are brutal or bad in such armies as iraqs was, i dont see any problem with this.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I imagine that with the lack of support from allies US has to make a decision like this, in a way is good for the Iraqis, but in the other hand how can US trust this people.

How reliable they are going to be and if the end will not turn against US.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think it all comes down to the all mighty dollar for the most part. Pay these former Iraqie military personal more then Saddam paid them and I think we will be suprised how many and much they are willing to work.

Plus they were putting down Insurrection in Iraq long before the US came into their country.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
How reliable they are going to be and if the end will not turn against US.

The $100 dollar question. My guess is that these will be low level baathists and the like and they will no doubt be placed in the SUnni triange. Now thier tactics and the like will no doubt leave alot to be desired as a previous poster put it they should be good at hunting down the insurgents.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well 100 dollars should be good enough, but this people were from Saddam elite, if we take in consideration that the Sunni were in power then, the members of this army most be also Sunni.

So how is this not going to bring conflict with the Shiite comunity that wants to get hold of the power in Iraq now?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
They will likely only be used in Sunni areas of Iraq. I really doubt these 2000 will be working in Shiite or Kurdish areas.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
They will likely only be used in Sunni areas of Iraq. I really doubt these 2000 will be working in Shiite or Kurdish areas.

That will make sense then but about the Kurdish, ha, they will not allowed anybody in their borders, and they will stay away from the eletion.

new topics

top topics

join