It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will It Be The Blizzard Of 2005?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Out on the eastern end of the island -- we are to get 18-24 (looking good for that right now) And the Fire Department has been told that it may ease up a bit tonight then we will get whalloped with the worst of it later. It is windy and majorily snowy right now. So to think of it getting worse later --

jm

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
DJSpellBound
I gotta apologize to you. When you predicted this sotrm, I thought it wasn't gonna happen.
I stand corrected here in SE Michigan, north of Detroit, we have maybe 9 inces, but with all the drifting, it's impossible to tell. Winds are gusting from the north up to 45 mph.
I truly feel for all who are getting this worse than we are here

mrq

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Near a foot now, a little less, in Westchester, NY.

The roads are very bad...and people are jogging. [[shaking head]]

Anyone else having trouble with weather.com?
Having trouble accessing it most of today...guess they're getting lotsa lotsa hits?

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You should hear the snow that is falling off the power lines above my house and are hitting the house -- it sounds like someone is bouncing a basketball against the sides of the house.

The lights have blinked and there are transformers blowing all around the area (benefits of being married to a fireman - hearing all the stuff that is going on on the scanner) CO2 detectors are going off in peoples houses and accidents all around.

I'm cooking up a stew that can be heated up on the wood stove if the power goes out --- made chicken salad and a roast. So we are good to go for a while.

jm

edited to add that on the east side of the house the snow is higher than the bottom of the door (which is a good step up to get into)

[edit on 22-1-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrq
Anyone else having trouble with weather.com?
Having trouble accessing it most of today...guess they're getting lotsa lotsa hits?

Yep, they must be overloaded with hits.
I've seen it happen on accuweather, too.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
No need to apologize DontTreadOnMe.

I am glad though that I can at least get the word out first for the storm when the rumors first came out and of which proved to be accurate,. I guess we might just end up with 3 feet of snow as I originally threw out in my original post.

I actually just came in tonight from my job and it is definitely white out conditions out there right now. You can't see #. And as for this storm it could be the 5th worst in history.

...BARNSTABLE MA-BLOCK ISLAND RI-BRISTOL RI-CENTRAL MIDDLESEX COUNTY MA- DUKES MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN KENT RI-EASTERN NORFOLK MA- EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NANTUCKET MA-NEWPORT RI-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA- NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA- SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA-SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH MA- SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-SUFFOLK MA-WASHINGTON RI-WESTERN ESSEX MA- WESTERN KENT RI-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ATTLEBOROUGH... BARNSTABLE... BARRINGTON... BEVERLY... BOSTON... BRISTOL... BROCKTON... BROOKLINE... CAMBRIDGE... FALL RIVER... FALMOUTH... FRAMINGHAM... FRANKLIN... GLOUCESTER... LAWRENCE... LOWELL... LYNN... MILFORD... NANTUCKET... NEW BEDFORD... NEWBURYPORT... NEWPORT... NEWTON... NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH... PLYMOUTH... PROVIDENCE... QUINCY... SOMERVILLE... SOUTH KINGSTOWN... TAUNTON... VINEYARD HAVEN... WALTHAM... WARWICK... WEYMOUTH... WOONSOCKET AND WORCESTER 540 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2005

... BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST SUNDAY...

TWENTY TO 30 INCHES OF SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE IN EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS INCLUDING THE CAPE AND ISLANDS AS WELL AS ALL OF RHODE ISLAND BY LATE SUNDAY... MAKING IT HIGHLY PROBABLE THIS WILL BE ONE OF THE FIFTH WORST SNOWSTORMS IN RECORDED HISTORY FOR BOSTON AND PROVIDENCE.

DRIFTS OF AT LEAST 6 FEET ARE EXPECTED IN PARTS OF EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND WITH WIND GUSTS AFTER MIDNIGHT ALONG THE COAST REACHING 55 TO 65 MPH... EXCEPT POSSIBLY TO 75 MPH ON NANTUCKET AND CAPE COD SUNDAY MORNING.

THE STRONG WINDS WILL CAUSE SEVERE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES. THE WINDS LIKELY WILL ALSO TRIGGER AT LEAST SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES NEAR THE COAST... AND TO A LESSER EXTENT INLAND.

OVER CAPE COD... NANTUCKET AND MARTHAS VINEYARD... THE SNOW WILL LIKELY BE OF A SOMEWHAT WETTER CONSISTENCY... AND THUS CREATE THE RISK FOR WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES SUNDAY MORNING.

SNOW WILL TAPER TO SNOW SHOWERS LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL PERSIST INTO LATE SUNDAY EVENING ACROSS EXPOSED AREAS.

AMOUNTS AS HIGH AS 3 FEET POSSIBLE. THE MOST VULNERABLE LOCATIONS FOR 30 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW ARE ESSEX... PLYMOUTH... NORFOLK AND BARNSTABLE COUNTIES IN MASSACHUSETTS AND PROVIDENCE COUNTY IN RHODE ISLAND.

ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL MAY CONTINUE ON THE CAPE AND ISLANDS INTO SUNDAY NIGHT.

ANY TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED UNTIL LATE SUNDAY OR SUNDAY NIGHT. IF YOU LEAVE THE SAFETY OF BEING INDOORS YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I was skeptical as well, we have like 6 - 8 inches now here in New York City! Yeah, I love the snow!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
About a foot here so far in Connecticut. The winds are picking up causing blizzard like conditions. I hear the trees snapping

By tomorrow morning 8 EST we should have a little over 2 feet or more, also depending on the wind drifts.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Okay! A little freaked out here! I just finished watching 'Day After Tomorrow' on PPV.

Everyone, stay indoors!!!

Freez'n here in NY!

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
we recieved around 6 inches, im guessing, here in Kitchener, Ontario. But the wind is making things nasty. The storm passed by last night but we are still receiving snowsqualls from lake huron. if i look on the radar over western Canada along the border with the United States I see another disturbance coming. another storm forming?

Tahlen

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Good call, man!! I first saw this thread a while back and didn't think much of it. But it looks like you called it!!! you should be a meteorologist.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
DJ
Looks as though you were right on target! I followed your thread from the start. You indicated to me that the storm, here in the northeast, would be worse as you went towards the coast.
I believe that around the Cape it is the worst storm they have recorded. Boston is closed for 2 days.
For us in NH, except the coast, it was just a good Nor'easter. We had officially 14 inches of snow in Manchester, but the blowing and drifting caused some inches more than that in places.
I will be watching for your "forecasts" in the future.
Mary

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Erm I believe thanks is due to Accuweather.com and of which I brought the information here so more more people can see it and be forwarned.

Here is the final totals of the storm.

hurricane.accuweather.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here's a Pic of Ocean Drive which is the southern Tip of Newport which is right along the coast. The road is almost completely cover by 6 feet or more of snow. People were driving on the sidewalks to get by.

img167.exs.cx...

[edit on 1/24/2005 by DJSpellBound]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

My home in Cape Cod, Hyannis, Ma.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

My home in Cape Cod, Hyannis, Ma.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by dgtempe]

Ummm the link is broken. If you're havin a rough time use imageshack.us

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
And yet another possibility of another Nor Easter, but come on, what are the odds of another storm being this bad coming again in another week?

hurricane.accuweather.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Boy am I glad I will be in Las Vegas this weekend.... and by Tuesday night it should be cleared up I think. We only just got everyone dug out today.

jm

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join