It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will It Be The Blizzard Of 2005?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I'm in the UK and would love to have some snow. Think the reason for that is, because i got me a new 4x4 and i need to play

seriously though. We don't get the amount of snow you get in the states. We usually get a few inches and the whole country grinds to stand still.

Please send us some snow over here.

That's okay, they had an inch of snow in North Carolina today, and they said traffic all came to a halt and people were stranded. You know I had to laugh because I'm from Buffalo, NY!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well down here in SE VA, it has once again start to snow here just start lile 30-40 min ago...the 6th time in less than a month, we are lucky to see this much snow fall, not accumalate, in 2 yrs combined. Looks like its gonna be a nasty winter. The saying goes here is, it if snows prior to New Yrs its gonna be a bad winter, if it doesnt, its gonna be mild. Why not be bad the rest of the US is in shambles, the world is starting to fall apart climate wise...WTH is going on?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Here in Connecticut we're bracing for this unexpected storm, I hadn't heard the news of it until yesterday. I'm ready for it! Being a snowboard freak, this is good news.

[edit on 1/21/2005 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by magickalworld
That's okay, they had an inch of snow in North Carolina today, and they said traffic all came to a halt and people were stranded. You know I had to laugh because I'm from Buffalo, NY!!!

Bah, that's Raliegh Duram area, i.e. flatlanders. We get some real snow here in the mountains from time to time.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Well winter storm watches were finally posted last night and it seems that people close to the coast (NYC, Long Island, Southern Conn, Rhode Island, East Mass.) will see close to a foot of snow(vague number at this point) with temps in the teens and 20's and for here wind gusts up to 40 mph.

I'm ready for it.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
...from 24 hours ago is already proving to be accurate. Both the NOAA and AMS have narrowed down their predictions as of this morning and both have supported my predictions from yesterday. This will NOT be the blizzard of 2005 or any other horrendous storm. This is simply a normal occluded front moving along the jet stream, being squeezed by a dome of high pressure to the north and being fed by a moisture from the gulf. In other words, this is your typical winter storm set-up., Nothing to freak about.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
kozmo -

are you ready to predict amounts of snow yet ?

Say for NW Ohio - Toledo, Cleveland etc...

On local news they're saying 6-10".

with blowing and drifting to 14"

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
...from 24 hours ago is already proving to be accurate. Both the NOAA and AMS have narrowed down their predictions as of this morning and both have supported my predictions from yesterday. This will NOT be the blizzard of 2005 or any other horrendous storm. This is simply a normal occluded front moving along the jet stream, being squeezed by a dome of high pressure to the north and being fed by a moisture from the gulf. In other words, this is your typical winter storm set-up., Nothing to freak about.

I hear a horn tooting somewhere in ATS land....

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Fox News Channel is saying 1 - 2 feet for New York City...I'll believe it when I see it, these things usually end up fizzling out.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yes just heard it also 30 inch for Cape Cod . DJSpellBound can we have a direct link to your weather page if you have one because my weather man hasn't been that close all year or last year for that matter.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38
Yes just heard it also 30 inch for Cape Cod . DJSpellBound can we have a direct link to your weather page if you have one because my weather man hasn't been that close all year or last year for that matter.

hurricane.accuweather.com...
Well here's a more broader preliminary of the forcasted snowfall amounts. It'll probably be updated tonight and tomorrow morning.

Cape Cod and the Islands may encounter blizzard or near blizzard conditions by early Sunday. Winds may gust from 50 to 60 moh there with higher winds offshore. Snow will end or taper off to flurries on Sunday. It will also be quite cold and windy during this storm in the major East Coast cities with wind chills near or below zero.

And of which that is pulled from here...
www.weather.com...

But I really don't follow weather.com becuase they have way too many mistakes in the past.

[edit on 1/21/2005 by DJSpellBound]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Washington-Baltimore-Philadelphia = 8-12 inches
New York-Hartford-Boston = 12+ inches

Place bets now

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Also for my local area...

...BARNSTABLE MA-BLOCK ISLAND RI-BRISTOL RI-DUKES MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA- EASTERN KENT RI-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NANTUCKET MA- NEWPORT RI-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI- SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA- SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH MA-SUFFOLK MA-WASHINGTON RI-WESTERN KENT RI- WESTERN NORFOLK MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ATTLEBOROUGH... BARNSTABLE... BARRINGTON... BEVERLY... BOSTON... BRISTOL... BROCKTON... BROOKLINE... CAMBRIDGE... FALL RIVER... FALMOUTH... FRANKLIN... GLOUCESTER... LYNN... NANTUCKET... NEW BEDFORD... NEWBURYPORT... NEWPORT... NEWTON... NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH... PLYMOUTH... PROVIDENCE... QUINCY... SOMERVILLE... SOUTH KINGSTOWN... TAUNTON... VINEYARD HAVEN... WARWICK... WEYMOUTH AND WOONSOCKET 330 PM EST FRI JAN 21 2005

... HEAVY SNOW WARNING AND BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM EST SATURDAY UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON MA HAS ISSUED A HEAVY SNOW WARNING AND A BLIZZARD WATCH... COVERING RHODE ISLAND AND EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS FROM THE INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR TO CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS.

SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON... THEN WILL QUICKLY BECOME HEAVY EARLY SATURDAY EVENING. THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR SATURDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY SUNDAY MORNING... WHEN SNOW COULD FALL AT THE RATE OF 3 INCHES PER HOUR. STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

SNOW WILL TAPER OFF EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 FEET ARE EXPECTED OVER A LARGE AREA... WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ALONG THE IMMEDIATE EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS COAST... AS WELL AS CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS.

IF THE POTENTIAL FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS INCREASES... BLIZZARD WARNINGS WILL BE ISSUED IN LATER FORECASTS.

So I guess a blizzard is unfolding here quite possibly......not a "severe" blizzard because our temps will still be above 10 so just classified a as possible blizzard

And also check this out for New York City.....

...BRONX NY-KINGS (BROOKLYN) NY-NASSAU NY-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) NY- QUEENS NY-RICHMOND (STATEN IS.) NY-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD CT- SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER NY- 350 PM EST FRI JAN 21 2005

... A BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON SATURDAY TO NOON SUNDAY ...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING.

SNOW WILL MOVE IN SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND WILL CONTINUE SATURDAY NIGHT. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF SUNDAY MORNING. FINAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE 12 TO 15 INCHES BY SUNDAY MORNING. IN ADDITION TO THE SNOW... NORTHEAST WINDS WILL INCREASE SATURDAY AFTERNOON... AND WILL BE QUITE GUSTY SATURDAY NIGHT. STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS WILL PERSIST SUNDAY MORNING. THESE WINDS WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

A BLIZZARD WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OR FREQUENT GUSTS OF OVER 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND OR BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BECOME POOR... WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES. THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS MAY BECOME LOST OR DISORIENTED... SO PERSONS IN THE WARNING AREA ARE ADVISED TO STAY INDOORS.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
kozmo -

are you ready to predict amounts of snow yet ?

Say for NW Ohio - Toledo, Cleveland etc...

On local news they're saying 6-10".

with blowing and drifting to 14"

They are saying 6 - 12" inches in Buffalo, and then Lake Effect off Lake Ontario from the wraparound of the storm for Buffalo Northward.....

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

As the Midwestern area of low pressure transfers its energy to the coast and the coastal low takes over, watch for the storm to intensify quickly as it parallels the coast of Long Island and southern New England. Because of this intensification, snow totals by Sunday afternoon from eastern Long Island to Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts may be in the 1 to 2 foot range (and that may be conservative. Look for extremely strong winds across eastern Long Island and Cape Cod on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Wind gusts may exceed 60 mph along with the heavy snow. Blizzard warnings are in place from Long Island and into much of southern New England including New York, Hartford, Providence, and Boston.

from the weather.com site -- can you guess what area i live in
To make it all really fun -- we got a new boiler put in yesterday and so far our house hasn't gotten over 60 degrees (being actual temp of -6 right now may be part of that I guess) It's been a few years since we had a furnace so I can't remember what it is like -- going to get some more wood just in case though (down to the last load in the house right now
) The winds will mean that the field across from my house won't have any snow in it but my yard will be neck high.

jm

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
They just reupdated the forcast and briought the storm totals higher.

...BARNSTABLE MA-BLOCK ISLAND RI-BRISTOL RI-CENTRAL MIDDLESEX COUNTY MA- DUKES MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN KENT RI-EASTERN NORFOLK MA- EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NANTUCKET MA-NEWPORT RI-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA- NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA- SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA-SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH MA- SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-SUFFOLK MA-WASHINGTON RI-WESTERN ESSEX MA- WESTERN KENT RI-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ATTLEBOROUGH... BARNSTABLE... BARRINGTON... BEVERLY... BOSTON... BRISTOL... BROCKTON... BROOKLINE... CAMBRIDGE... FALL RIVER... FALMOUTH... FRAMINGHAM... FRANKLIN... GLOUCESTER... LAWRENCE... LOWELL... LYNN... MILFORD... NANTUCKET... NEW BEDFORD... NEWBURYPORT... NEWPORT... NEWTON... NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH... PLYMOUTH... PROVIDENCE... QUINCY... SOMERVILLE... SOUTH KINGSTOWN... TAUNTON... VINEYARD HAVEN... WALTHAM... WARWICK... WEYMOUTH... WOONSOCKET AND WORCESTER 540 AM EST SAT JAN 22 2005

... BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 PM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON MA HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING.

SNOW WILL BEGIN ACROSS WESTERN RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHERN WORCESTER COUNTY BETWEEN 2 AND 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON... AND WILL QUICKLY OVERSPREAD THE REMAINDER OF RHODE ISLAND AND EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS BY NIGHTFALL.

THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM WILL OCCUR TONIGHT THROUGH MOST OF SUNDAY MORNING... ESPECIALLY RIGHT ALONG THE COAST AND ON CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS. SNOW WILL LIKELY FALL AT THE RATE OF 3 INCHES PER HOUR FOR SEVERAL HOURS OVERNIGHT. STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO OVER 35 MPH FOR A TIME TONIGHT AND EARLY SUNDAY... WITH GUSTS CLOSE TO 50 MPH. THIS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS INLAND AREAS SUNDAY MORNING... PUSHING TO THE COAST BY MIDDAY SUNDAY. HOWEVER... LIGHTER SNOW WILL CONTINUE ALONG THE COAST AND ON CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS THROUGH A GOOD PORTION OF SUNDAY.

TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE ON THE ORDER OF 20 TO 30 INCHES... WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ALONG THE IMMEDIATE MASSACHUSETTS COAST AS WELL AS ON CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE ON THE CAPE AND ISLANDS INTO SUNDAY NIGHT.

A BLIZZARD WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OR FREQUENT GUSTS OF OVER 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND/OR BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BECOME POOR, WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES. THOSE VENTURING OUTDOORS MAY BECOME LOST OR DISORIENTED, SO PERSONS IN THE WARNING AREA ARE ADVISED TO STAY INDOORS.

[edit on 1/22/2005 by DJSpellBound]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well in the Toronto area we are in for 15-30cm... lots of that is lake effect though.. it sure looks nasty outside today (and you can tell it's lake effect snow just by how the flakes look).

Osiris

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Were really taking it hard, and I live in the lower west virginian region. About...ermm....6 inches out there, but the roads are HORRIBLE!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Here in Chicago we have gotten atleast a foot, and its still Blizard like weather. Got to drive to Midway Airport in it Fun Fun.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yep over here in jersey five minutes away from philly its snowing pretty hard Its going to end up being about 8 to 12 inches on the ground by 8 est time here I love it no work!

[edit on 22-1-2005 by Thug69]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join