It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will It Be The Blizzard Of 2005?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I think I can call myself above average with studying weather patterns, making judgements with maps and how things are going to progress. I thought I would generate some discussion with this thread with the potential of a major snowstorm impacting the major cities in the Northeast by this weekend. I , myself, used to live about a hour and half north of NYC in which we always got clobbered with snow especially from Nor' Easters, which was good since I am a snow lover. It could snow 3 feet and I could care less, just business as usual.

Last year I moved closer to the coast in which now I reside in Newport, RI which is gorgeous out here with a different pace of scenery and also slower pace of life.

Well Anyways, back to the subject at hand here's a link and I'll probably start looking at the maps tomorrow to see if anything spawns and I am sure some weather buffs with be commenting and of which I will be looking forward to it.

hurricane.accuweather.com...

Maybe it will be a dud. Or a Dusting. Or 3 feet.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
My bet is dusting if it's anything like what we've got due in here (Toronto area) in the next few days..

Osiris

E_T

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Here's one site showing results of weather model runs.
www.wetterzentrale.de...

Looks like there's some windier weather 100 hours from now. (number tells how many hours to future that result is)

Also "Niederschlag" means precipitation/rainfall

This site is extremely good for translating words:
www.websters-dictionary-online.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by otlg27
My bet is dusting if it's anything like what we've got due in here (Toronto area) in the next few days..

Osiris

It's looking more and more like this could be a healthy storm. I don't know about three feet, but a significant amount (certainly more than a dusting) is looking likely for the mid atlantic and northeast.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
NW Ohio here...

they're saying heavy snow for us on Saturday, but no one is making predictions on the accumulation, yet.

I hope it misses PA. I want a clean field for the game in Pitt on Sunday.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I'm just East of Philly, and their starting to speculate that it's gonna leave a pretty significant amount of snow. The local sports stations are saying it's going to be cold, snowy, and windy. I hope we get clobbered. Nothing like watching good football when it's snowing!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
NW Ohio here...

they're saying heavy snow for us on Saturday, but no one is making predictions on the accumulation, yet.

the pats will still dominate anyway. my prediction is that weatherman will say we get 6 inches but we end up with 24

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm in the UK and would love to have some snow. Think the reason for that is, because i got me a new 4x4 and i need to play

seriously though. We don't get the amount of snow you get in the states. We usually get a few inches and the whole country grinds to stand still.

Please send us some snow over here.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It all depends on how much energy is transferred over to the new soon to be ocean low as it rides the coast and northeast. A classic Nor Easter it seems but with coastal locations getting a lot of snow instead of just the inland locations from a typical Nor' Easter.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Today at work I had to plow and shovel 2-3 inches of snow, and bring in 22 carts. Anyway, while I was working inside a customer mentioned it's suppose to snow and rain everyday this week but friday. Go figure! I have to work in it, but can't enjoy it.

And the News keeps saying it will be wrost next week. Does anyone on ATS know if that's true?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I work in the construction supply industry (Yes; I sell rock salt in the winter) and live and die by the weather. I consider myself a novice meteorologist and even have equipment set up at home that monitors barometric pressure, wind speeds and chill rates, hygrometers, temps, gust speed and direction, precipitation rates etc... In fact, I'm such a weather "Geek" that I track the data on my computer and have a program set up that e-mails my weather monitoring results to one of our local weathermen who uses it in his segments (Along with a number of other weather "geeks").

My take on this storm... Yes, it will certainly offer precipitation in excess of what would be considered normal for this type of weather pattern. The reason being the blocking high pressure front will allow an abnormal amount of moisture to build up in the atmosphere. The arctic express will invariably collide with the prevailing jet stream which will make any moisture in the atmosphere highly unstable resulting in snow. However, I highly doubt that we'll be looking at 3 feet or anything like that. My guess would be 10 to 12 inches in the midwest as a result of the occluded front, lake effect areas could be double that amount. If the Nor'easter fires up late this weekend like they speculate, the NE could really get slammed with snofall amounts of up to 2 feet. If the Nor'easter doesn't rear it's ugly head (As a result of the shift of the high pressure dome), NE could expect between 6 and 12 inches of snow. That's just my take on it.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
where's indy when you need him. he's a god when it comes to weather prediction.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yeah I live in jersey 5 min away from the bride to philly and it is snowing right now about an inch or 2 But the local weatherman said we should be getting a piece of that major weekend snow storm thats coming. They even said maybe 8 inches this is the first snowfall this winter too

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

It's looking more and more like this could be a healthy storm. I don't know about three feet, but a significant amount (certainly more than a dusting) is looking likely for the mid atlantic and northeast.

Toronto area got about 5-10cm today.. just FYI

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

That he is, he has definitely impressed me the most on the board when it comes down to the weather,

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

indiana jones? he is the mack!

the snow last night around here(central MA) came in pretty unexpected and heavy...like 5 inches came out of nowhere near my house

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'm in Manchester, NH and I sure would like to know something about this storm ahead of time. So far I haven't heard anything about a monster storm coming. I love the snow too, as long as I don't have to go out and drive in it. A good ole noreaster blizzard would be kind of nice.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Snowing in Chicago now, so all of you East of here, get ready!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
i haven't looked at any maps but i think that the storm in chicago is gonna mix with some warm gulf air and create the slushy ice storm of death

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree
I'm in Manchester, NH and I sure would like to know something about this storm ahead of time. So far I haven't heard anything about a monster storm coming. I love the snow too, as long as I don't have to go out and drive in it. A good ole noreaster blizzard would be kind of nice.

Seems though as with this one the closer you get to the coast the more snow you'll get.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join