It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spicy red lentils. Vegan but still worth eating !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: seeker1963

There ya go. The rest are cupboard staples so you should be good to go.
Well maybe not fresh ginger I have to buy that for this dish. Dried just does not have that sweet fruity taste.

when you buy ginger root, store the unused root in your freezer. Keeps for 6 months no problem (im not afraid to dust the ice off of a year old chunk and use it). i prefer using frozen ginger. when you run it across a microplane, it'll end up melting into the dish, giving you a much more even flavor.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

ill likely throw this together later this week. Except ill use bacon in the base Partly because i like bacon a lot, and partly to fix the recipe.

Seriously, though....looks delicious.

I do a similar one with pancetta and I also include an onion because onions are delicious. Oh, and a little red wine as well near the end.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I bet the yeast in the red wine makes a fantastic addition.

Our local grocers has limited offerings with regards to everything. Although they have had some lately.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The red wine adds a nice floral note. The trick that I use is to add some in the beginning to get the flavor imparted but not too much that it becomes tannic. I add a bit more about 10 minutes before serving to cook off the alcohol and get that nice bouquet.

Your friend in the Northeast can always send you a care package.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I'd do the dish as posted, but I'd go to the local butcher and get some nice house sausages and cook those in the cast iron and find a way to deglaze the pan afterward, possibly with bit of red wine mentioned before but somehow get that cooked sausage bit into the lentils or the hot seasoned oil you season them with and serve the cooked sausages hot (reheated if needed) on the bed of hot lentils.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I do keep it in the freezer but I still only buy very small pieces so I don't have to store it too long.
Thanks.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I guess but the lentils only take 30 minutes on the stove. I think even on low they would be too mushy cooking all day.
I never tried though so maybe not.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I guess but the lentils only take 30 minutes on the stove.

Which is why I suggested not using one. It does not take very long to cook lentils.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

They are fine additions. I made this version to go with Indian food hence the Graham marsala type spice blend.
I have another lentil recipe that incorporates hearty flavors. I use a ham hock and cubed ham. And onions and liquid smoke.

I've never had a legume dish made with wine though.
edit on 7192016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
ill likely throw this together later this week. Except ill use bacon in the base Partly because i like bacon a lot, and partly to fix the recipe.

Seriously, though....looks delicious.

Ah hem.... my recipe don't need no fixin cowboy ! Lol.
Lentils are versatile.
I like this version because it has a fresh clean almost fruity flavor. Unlike a hearty lentil recipe that includes smoked meat. But they sure have their place too. Yum.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I served this last night with a pork tenderloin seasoned with the same spices and a small amount of coconut milk. It makes a nice sauce when the meat juices and spices blend together. 45 minutes in my electric smoker gets it to 140 degrees of perfect doneness.
And I don't have to heat up the kitchen running the oven.
edit on 7192016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

You did suggest using a slow cooker. I answered that very post.
LOL

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

i make a rice dish frequently that is a long grain and wild rice. i start by browning some almonds or pine nuts, remove them then sweat some onion and garlic, throw in the rice and brown it off a bit, then add in the appropriate amount of chicken stock and a couple sprigs of fresh thyme

right before its done i throw in some dried cherries or cranberries and put the nuts back into it. Its a great side for fish and chicken. But its got enough nutrient to be a meal, too. Especially with a touch of romano grated over the typ.
edit on 7/19/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You did suggest using a slow cooker. I answered that very post.
LOL

I was referring to him using a rice cooker. A slow cooker, if the lentils are dried, could work but I prefer to cook mine more traditionally.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I love lentils I will definitely try this. It looks easy and delicious.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

It was really good, thank you for sharing this! My friend was visiting and she's a vegan. She is really polite but I'm not the best cook and usually when I make vegan stuff it ends up pretty bland. This time she seemed impressed though. lol, just had to make an account to say this. I've been lurking for a while but haven't bothered yet.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join