It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not a Believer, But Jesus was a Great Teacher

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Life and experience, especially mistakes is the greatest teacher of all..
a reply to: pthena

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

"I am the way, the truth, and the life."
There is only presence - presence is the one.

'I am', not 'I will be' or 'I was', is the truth. Speaking happens presently so the one who speaks is here now, not somewhen else - the person in time does not exist - neither does time. It is always now - there is only now and it is the way and the life.

Am-ness is being - there is only what is being - which is What Is.
'I am that I am' - is the answer God gave when asked what is your name.
edit on 18-2-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
This thread is kind of like "Favorite Teachings of Jesus", but with a Caveat, from not professed Christians who are of the opinion that Jesus was a great wise man, teacher, sage.

So right off the bat, sayings like "I am the way, the truth, and the life." should be not on the list, 'cuz what would that even mean to an unbeliever?

Many people have used sayings of Jesus as a counter to other teachers, as in "Jesus said this, but so and so said that, therefore so and so is a false prophet."

Jesus: "Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." Matthew 5:22

Jesus: "You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes it sacred?" Matt 23:17

“Now then,” said the Lord, “you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You fools! Did not the One who made the outside make the inside as well? Luke 11:39,40

Then Jesus said to them, “O foolish ones, how slow are your hearts to believe all that the prophets have spoken.. Luke 24:25

If you decide to post a great saying of Jesus, include also your own explanation as to how it applies to non believers.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

This thread is kind of like "Favorite Teachings of Jesus", but with a Caveat, from not professed Christians who are of the opinion that Jesus was a great wise man, teacher, sage.

So right off the bat, sayings like "I am the way, the truth, and the life." should be not on the list, 'cuz what would that even mean to an unbeliever?

Many people have used sayings of Jesus as a counter to other teachers, as in "Jesus said this, but so and so said that, therefore so and so is a false prophet."

Jesus: "Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." Matthew 5:22

Jesus: "You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes it sacred?" Matt 23:17

“Now then,” said the Lord, “you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You fools! Did not the One who made the outside make the inside as well? Luke 11:39,40

Then Jesus said to them, “O foolish ones, how slow are your hearts to believe all that the prophets have spoken.. Luke 24:25

If you decide to post a great saying of Jesus, include also your own explanation as to how it applies to non believers.
[I'm of the persuasion that Jesus taught rebirth, that we live muliple lives. ]

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BrazenStar
Try clicking on the reply (balloon icon) instead of the quote.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Sorry I missed this. I didn't look closely enough to see it. Do you have a verse or saying of Jesus?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Sorry I missed this. I didn't look closely enough to see it. Do you have a verse or saying of Jesus?

3 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?

10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Trust you to throw this at me when it's past my bedtime. I don't want to miss the eclipse tomorrow, should be at least 80% in my backyard.

I read a few essays on Christian reincarnation looking for the perfect verse and couldn't find any. Based on the arguments I read verse 3 would be a candidate. The argument would go: The Kingdom is gradually coming about while the souls are becoming more fit for the kingdom. After many lifetimes the souls are ready for the kingdom when the kingdom is ready too. Perfect timing.

Is that the thinking?
No hurry, I'm going to bed as soon as I hit the reply button.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Generally speaking "christian" and reincarnation don't mesh...

The last line of that passage is the main thought in the idea

Another good one is where he says "i am the door, whoever enters will be saved, and will go "in and out"

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.”

Mark 12:29,30

Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah, 30 and you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.’

It's not called the first for nothing you know, which is a clue why it gets mistranslated and misquoted so often and people say "you must love the Lord your God..." etc. even if they do quote it. It's a quotation from the Hebrew Scriptures, the oldest manuscripts of which still contain the divine name in them. Providing evidence that some people have been very naughty when it comes to producing, marketing and selling bible translations.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Difference between you and me whereislogic, my church doesn't stop me from researching any websites that disagree with what I believe, encouraged to do so

If I was to paste a website about JW.org that wasn't nice, you are not allowed to go there are you?

Anyway, I believe Jesus is God, sorry

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

There are a number of difficulties in Mark Chapter 12.
They are debates mostly, between Jesus and others such as Law experts and Sadducees.

Some paradoxes:
1) If every breath and thought and bit of energy is devoted to loving an invisible God, then what could be left for self or neighbors?
2) But love neighbors as self.
3) The expert in the Law(scribe) added that the three-way love split "is more important than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices" (vs 33). Jesus seems to approve of that.
4) But then, what of the poor widow? "Most certainly I tell you, this poor widow gave more than all those who are giving into the treasury, 44for they all gave out of their abundance, but she, out of her poverty, gave all that she had to live on."(vss 43,44) The sacrifice is total. She will die.

Is the temple treasury more important than the widow? Is that a sacrifice Jesus approved of or not?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
I have the same free will as you do. I try not to ignore 2 Timothy 4:3,4 though when it comes to websites that are tickling people's ears with propaganda and slander (incl. gossip, "abusive speeches" and "wicked suspicions"), none of their arguments and claims are going to change God's unique, only and personal name Jehovah to "the LORD" or "the Lord" anyway (which is also an indication that I have looked into it). I also try not to ignore the biblical counsel in the article about propaganda in my signature including the 2 texts that I quoted there or 1 Tim. 6:3-5:

3 If any man teaches another doctrine and does not agree with the wholesome* [Or “healthful; beneficial.”] instruction, which is from our Lord Jesus Christ, nor with the teaching that is in harmony with godly devotion, 4 he is puffed up with pride and does not understand anything. He is obsessed* [Or “has an unhealthy fascination.”] with arguments and debates about words. These things give rise to envy, strife, slander,* [Or “abusive speeches.”] wicked suspicions, 5 constant disputes about minor matters by men who are corrupted in mind and deprived of the truth, thinking that godly devotion is a means of gain.

What's stopping you from clicking any of my regular links to jw.org without dismissing the information out of hand even if you do click? If it's not your church according to you perhaps there's something or someone else you're overlooking. Did you know that a pioneer of Jehovah's witnesses spends 90 hours a month talking to people that disagree with what they believe? And a number of the people they encounter will be using the arguments from the type of websites you are talking about. God's name will remain Jehovah though no matter what they discuss. Makes it really easy to see who belongs to which spiritual Father and who is following Jesus' command that he described as the first and greatest commandment of all and in which he repeated the name Jehovah 3 times as he was quoting Jehovah's commandment from the Hebrew Scriptures.

Proverbs 18:10

American Standard Version
The name of Jehovah is a strong tower; The righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

Darby Bible Translation
The name of Jehovah is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

Young's Literal Translation
A tower of strength is the name of Jehovah, Into it the righteous runneth, and is set on high.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NW)

3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things. 5 For we are overturning reasonings and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are bringing every thought into captivity to make it obedient to the Christ;

Ephesians 6:11,12

11 Put on the complete suit of armor from God so that you may be able to stand firm against the crafty acts of the Devil; 12 because we have a struggle, not against blood and flesh, but against the governments, against the authorities, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places.

Jehovah Equips Us!

edit on 25-8-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

1) If every breath and thought and bit of energy is devoted to loving an invisible God, then what could be left for self or neighbors?

It's not like a fuel tank that can run empty or something...or like an energy drink that once the can is empty, you've ran out. It's all connected anyway.

1 John 5:2,3

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and carry out his commandments. 3 For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome,

Is It Wrong to Be Ambitious? Awake!—2005

Did Solomon say anything about humans reaching their potential? In a way he did. After examining his many experiences in life, his conclusion was: “Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man.” (Ecclesiastes 12:13) Humans reach their potential, not by achieving rank, wealth, fame, or power, but by accomplishing God’s will.

Humility Leads to Exaltation

Granted, there is nothing wrong with a modest love of self. The Bible commands us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. (Matthew 22:39)

What It Means to Love Our Neighbor

How Do We Love Our Neighbor as Ourselves?

19, 20. What does it mean to love our neighbor as ourselves?

19 Jesus said: “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” It is normal to care about ourselves and to have a healthy measure of self-respect. If that were not so, the commandment would have little meaning. This proper love of self is not to be confused with the egocentric love of self mentioned by the apostle Paul at 2 Timothy 3:2. Rather, it is a reasonable sense of self-worth. One Bible scholar described it as “a balanced self-love that is neither a narcissistic ‘I am divine’ nor a masochistic ‘I am dirt.’”

20 To love others as we love ourselves means that we view others as we want to be viewed and treat others as we would like to be treated. Jesus said: “All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them.” (Matthew 7:12) Notice that Jesus did not say to mull over what others have done to us in the past and then repay in kind. Instead, we are to think about how we would like to be treated and then act accordingly. Notice, too, that Jesus did not restrict his words to friends and brothers. He used the word “men,” perhaps to indicate that we should act in this way toward all people, everyone we meet.

21. By showing love to others, what do we demonstrate?

21 Loving our neighbor will protect us from doing what is bad. The apostle Paul wrote: “The law code, ‘You must not commit adultery, You must not murder, You must not steal, You must not covet,’ and whatever other commandment there is, is summed up in this word, namely, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ Love does not work evil to one’s neighbor.” (Romans 13:9, 10) Love will move us to look for ways to work what is good toward others. By loving fellow humans, we demonstrate that we also love the one who created man in His image, Jehovah God.—Genesis 1:26.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I guess I should have written the lead up without using questions.

My question is this:

Is the temple treasury more important than the widow? Is that a sacrifice Jesus approved of or not?

The rest was set up.
edit on 25-8-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I guess I should have written the lead up without using questions.

My question is this:

...[earlier you said:]
The sacrifice is total. She will die.

The widow wasn't going to die because of her gift, don't be silly. "gave all that she had to live on" is an expression talking about what she had at that moment and doesn't say anything about future income or genorisity from the community that will help her survive. Jesus was teaching another important point that relates to the first and greatest commandment. This was the point in regards to the rich who gave only a small amount in relation to what they had (and what was in their hearts, cause Jesus could see that).

Mark 12:41-44

41 And he sat down with the treasury chests* [Or “receptacles.”] in view and began observing how the crowd was dropping money into the treasury chests, and many rich people were dropping in many coins. 42 Now a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins of very little value.* [Lit., “two lepta, which is a quadrans.”] 43 So he called his disciples to him and said to them: “Truly I say to you that this poor widow put in more than all the others who put money into the treasury chests. 44 For they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her want,* [Or “poverty.”] put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

hyperbole (google)

I guess 2 lepta is of such little value that we're perhaps talking hyperbole here anyway. Perhaps not even enough to buy a week's worth of food. But ancient economics in Israel isn't my expertise. 1 lepton would be today's equivalent of a penny, the smallest denomination within their currency system. It may have been just a momentary situation that she was so low on currency. It was clear though that she wasn't one of "the rich" (using Luke's terminology) or those referred to as "rich people" by Mark. But that doesn't mean she didn't have something else to trade or some way to make more money or be fed. It wasn't about that, it was about the contrast with the rich who "put in out of their surplus".

The temple treasury wasn't more important than the widow. One of the reasons Jesus was emphasizing the good example given by the widow in comparison with the rich. He approved of her course of action and he considered her behaviour and gift to be of more value than the total contents of the treasury chests being augmented by "the others who put money into the treasury chests" who "put in out of their surplus". Clearly showing that this widow (and the state of her heart and mind) was more important to him than the treasury chests and the total content therein.
edit on 27-8-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Flesh and blood cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. Jesus said one must be born of water and Spirit.
The kingdom of heaven is for those who recognise that they are poor in spirit.
We spend our lives dictated by our thoughts, unctions, biases, perceived needs and wants.
Some people value things, some value people. We all have a concept of love, and it doesn't necessarily follow that our concept of love is what love REALLY is. It is a source outside of our grasp, we flail around seeking it, often in terms of our feelings. Feelings.....appetites.....this is the natural man.
We need to be 'born again', meaning to be born spiritually that we might no longer rely on the 'natural man' to dictate our lives. The natural man is selfish. The natural man is us on the throne of our own heart, master of our own fate and destiny.
Jesus commanded us to take up our cross daily. For the spirit of GOD, the spirit life to become a reality in those of us who believe, we have to deny the natural self, otherwise it will be the only voice within us we will ever hear.
In the parable of the sower, Jesus made it clear that some will simply refuse this message. Others will see truth and rejoice in it, but more concerned about what people think of them. Fear of man is a snare, and in such people this truth will not have depth to grow. Fear of other people's opinions will result in nothing more than a shallow face value life. Others are deceived by the pleasures of this world, and so it chokes that spiritual life from ever producing any fruit.

While I may have difficulty in expressing the gospel properly, my grasp is that Jesus has reconciled me to the Father because both He and the Father desired it. I believe a divine exchange has taken place on my behalf. I believe spiritual birth is given to those trust Jesus as the provider of that spiritual life.
I believe He is a model for how I am to live this life, and what I am to expect if I should choose to live that life.
Death to self is the daily challenge, and it is a daily choice. For me, He has done and provided everything I need to walk a reconciled life. The only thing I bring to the table is my thanks for His gift, and the conscious decision to choose that life or not.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join