It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not a Believer, But Jesus was a Great Teacher

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This thread is kind of like "Favorite Teachings of Jesus", but with a Caveat, from not professed Christians who are of the opinion that Jesus was a great wise man, teacher, sage.

So right off the bat, sayings like "I am the way, the truth, and the life." should be not on the list, 'cuz what would that even mean to an unbeliever?

Many people have used sayings of Jesus as a counter to other teachers, as in "Jesus said this, but so and so said that, therefore so and so is a false prophet."

Jesus: "Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." Matthew 5:22

Jesus: "You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes it sacred?" Matt 23:17

“Now then,” said the Lord, “you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You fools! Did not the One who made the outside make the inside as well? Luke 11:39,40

Then Jesus said to them, “O foolish ones, how slow are your hearts to believe all that the prophets have spoken.. Luke 24:25

If you decide to post a great saying of Jesus, include also your own explanation as to how it applies to non believers.

edit on 18-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
what was his real name?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Uhhhhhhhhhh

1. He was Who HE said He was . . . God's Son . . . that those who saw the Son had therein also seen The Father . . . and as John said . . . In the beginning was The Word; and The Word was with God and the Word was God.

KJV: John 1:3
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

And in Colossians 1:16 For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible . . .

or

2. He was a lunatic.

But there's a problem with the latter, He was too wise in a list of ways to be a lunatic. Therefore, 1. is the only logical alternative.

It simply won't do to consider Him a nice, wonderful etc. teacher . . . only.

edit on 18/7/2016 by BO XIAN because: fix refs

edit on 18/7/2016 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

what was his real name?

Not quite sure, something Greek that sounds kind of like Spanish Jesus, or something Aramaic like Yeshua. Or maybe something else or maybe fictitious character.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

He was too wise in a list of ways to be a lunatic.

Now is your chance to list the ways he is too wise.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Pardon the length

0 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.

22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.

25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.

26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.

30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Matthew 5, 6 are full of them.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

0 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

And this means what to someone who doesn't look for an undefined thing called "kingdom of God"

21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.

When? Is that always or do people die hungry and grieving?

Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

Who is the "Son of man"?

23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

What is heaven? Who are their fathers. Who are prophets?

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

And if my enemy is my enemy because he killed me, then ...

You see where I'm going? Where is the wisdom?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

So you want to pick and choose which parts of what he said suit your beliefs and discard the rest?

Where have I heard that before?

No, either he was exactly what he said he was, and you should listen to his whole message, else he was a liar, and you shouldn't listen to anything he said.

Kinda sucks when it's flipped around on ya like that, huh?

edit on 7/18/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

What? Did you read the OP or just responding to title?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

So you want to pick and choose which parts of what he said suit your beliefs and discard the rest?

Where have I heard that before?

No, either he was exactly what he said he was, and you should listen to his whole message, else he was a liar, and you shouldn't listen to anything he said.

You know its kinda rude to throw statements like rocks
People can believe what ever they choose to believe

Jesus was a very wise man, people should understand he came to teach, if people dont accept Christ for what He is but accept His teachings, wouldnt that be enough to change many things for the better

35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.”

The last statement is that Christians have no enemies

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

And this means what to someone who doesn't look for an undefined thing called "kingdom of God"

I would say, there is a better place we are headed to

When? Is that always or do people die hungry and grieving?

They do... Please refer to the above statement

who is the son of man

Better question would be who isn't

What is heaven? Who are their fathers. Who are prophets

Whatever comes next...

Wouldn't worry about prophets or fathers

And if my enemy is my enemy because he killed me, then ...

You see where I'm going? Where is the wisdom?

Well you'd be dead... Thus, no enemies

I see wisdom all through the gospels... Without christianity

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

My mother always thought to take the positive teachings from all of the great religions, philosophers and beliefs and use them in her daily life. While I followed in her path of not having a specific religion I have always found the actual teachings of Jesus to hold many positive truths that have enhanced my life.

I always believed that Jesus was for everyone and the entire premise of salvation was simply a misunderstanding of the Christian Church. I don't believe Jesus wanted all of this craziness in his name.

edit on 2016/7/18 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You know its kinda rude to throw statements like rocks

I didn't take it as rude. Just don't understand if it's directed at me or the people this thread is directed to.

35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

It's nice to be nice not expecting payback. That way, you save yourself disappointment. If you can't afford to give something away, then don't lend it. If you don't feel like giving something away than don't do it. That sounds like a wiser thing in my opinion.

But what reward is Jesus talking about? What is "children of the Most High"?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

But that hinges on something better coming, or at least belief in such?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

But that hinges on something better coming, or at least belief in such?

Correct my friend

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I have always found the actual teachings of Jesus to hold many positive truths that have enhanced my life.
the entire premise of salvation was simply a misunderstanding of the Christian Church.

So ignore the saved/not saved dichotomy and it seems good?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Correct my friend

Do you leave the something else undefined, or use teachings of Jesus to define it?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Correct my friend

Do you leave the something else undefined, or use teachings of Jesus to define it?

Yes... Knowing i don't belong in this screwed up world... But i make the best of what i've been given

I do tend to use his words to define it... Though they are vague on what it might actually be

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Yes... Knowing i don't belong in this screwed up world...

You know you don't belong in this World. How do you know such a thing? Is this some alien exile, or are you a future emigrant to somewhere else?

ETA

Bedtime for me. I'll check back in about 8 hours.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join