It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX live webcast - CRS-9 DRAGON MISSION

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Hey all, this thread is short and sweet, essentially a nudge to all that if you're interested SpaceX has a live webcast tonight.... I'm sure that everyone could use a distraction.. In less that 10 minutes (12:45 EST), SpaceX will be doing a live webcast.

If you are interested in watching, please click on the SpaceX link and enjoy the show SpaceX is about to put on...

SpaceX will attempt to land its Falcon 9 rocket during the launch of a cargo mission toward the International Space Station early Monday morning (July 18), and you can watch all the action live. SpaceX's two-stage Falcon 9 rocket is scheduled to lift off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida at 12:45 a.m. EDT (0445 GMT) Monday with the company's robotic Dragon cargo capsule aboard. About 10 minutes later, the booster's first stage will try to touch down softly back at Cape Canaveral. You can watch the launch and landing live here, courtesy of NASA TV, beginning at 11:30 p.m. EDT Sunday (July 17; 0330 GMT Monday). The landing try β€” which will come as the Falcon 9's second stage continues carrying Dragon to orbit β€” is part of SpaceX's effort to develop fully and rapidly reusable rockets, a technology that company founder and CEO Elon Musk has said should slash the cost of spaceflight

Space.com

Enjoy!
edit on 17-7-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Looks like a clean landing at LZ-1 and that SpaceX has got another first stage back. Dragon has successfully separated from the second stage, so the primary mission to resupply the ISS is proceeding nominally.

SpaceX better start re-using those first stages, otherwise they're going to run out of storage space

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Did we miss the launch?....Damn...I'm late.
edit on 17-7-2016 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Thank you, I needed a break from all the crap of late. This sort of thing allows hopeπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin

The launch started 14 minutes ago. You can still go to the webcast and watch the different stages of the launch.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Thank you, I needed a break from all the crap of late. This sort of thing allows hopeπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

I figured we ALL needed it.. All the ATS threads of late are legit depressing, so it's nice having a little distraction.. Even for a brief few moments! Glad you enjoyed!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin

Ok, webcast ended, you can reclick on it, then go to minute 16:30 and you'l be at 1 minute to launch!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I really did. I couldn't give enough stars. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟he re is a start!

For the rest, you can hit up the space x youtube for live still going on results.
edit on 18-7-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
will this be tried with human occupants eventually? Still pretty awesome we've gotten rockets to self land 40+ years after the moon landing

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheToastmanCometh
will this be tried with human occupants eventually? Still pretty awesome we've gotten rockets to self land 40+ years after the moon landing

The portion of the rocket that landed today was just the first stage. The rocket's second stage and Dragon capsule continued on into orbit. The second stage's orbit decays quickly, and it is destroyed re-entering the atmosphere. The Dragon capsule will deliver cargo and experiments to the ISS and return with completed experiments and other station materials.

A new version of the Dragon capsule, one which is rated for use by people, has been undergoing testing, and it is scheduled to have its first manned flight sometime next year. Dragon Version 2 will - eventually, at least - use small engines that SpaceX is calling Draco thrusters to land propulsively on a landing pad (like the first stage did today) instead of splashing down into the ocean like the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo capsules did.

It is worth noting that the Russian Soyuz capsule already uses rocket propulsion to make touchdown on land; however, the landing planned by SpaceX for Dragon Version 2 is a bit gentler and more controlled than the one made by the Soyuz capsules, which have been known to land rather far off target.

top topics

join