It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Absolutely Wrong': Bill Nye the Science Guy Takes on Noah's Ark Exhibit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
**************ATTENTION***************

Get back on topic:
'Absolutely Wrong': Bill Nye the Science Guy Takes on Noah's Ark Exhibit

CUT OUT anymore off topic discussions and snide remarks.

All members: Ending Rudeness, Hate and Bigotry:Getting back to Basics

edit on 18-7-2016 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Buzzy, you believe in ghost and spirits, yes?

the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters,

I always wonder about the importance of certain words in the Bible, and the mysterious meaning behind them.

water

I just like to use my imagination to dig a little deeper

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

why is water such a crucial molecule for life? And could there be other ingredients that also provide the perfect recipe for life on other planets? It turns out that several chemical properties of water make it indispensable for living creatures. Not only can water dissolve nearly anything, but it is also one of only a few materials that can exist as solid, liquid and gas within a relatively narrow range of temperatures. Flowing life At heart, all life on Earth uses a membrane that separates the organism from its environment. To stay alive, the organism takes in important materials for making energy, while shuttling out toxic substances such as waste products. In this regard, water is essential simply because it's a liquid at Earth-like temperatures. Because it flows, water provides an efficient way to transfer substances from a cell to the cell's environment. By contrast, deriving energy from a solid is a much tougher prospect (though there are microbes that eat rock), Glazer said. But the other part of the equation — that water can carry things into and out of the cell — has to do with water's unique chemical configuration. The humble water molecule is made up of two hydrogen atoms bonded to an oxygen atom.

Water, light, life, the word, the flood, dissolve, replenish,
edit on 18-7-2016 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
And the light shineth in darkness;

and the darkness comprehended it not.

He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Baptism with water, saved through water, the dove. Saved by grace.

Death of the flesh but eternal life through Baptism by water, sins washed away,

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

edit on 18-7-2016 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

You would think that with main stream media and education system at the disposal to the science community that their influence on young minds would be able to rid the world of silly ideas like creation right. Yet with no help from any mainstream anything, the idea of creation still grow strong.

Bill may be a genuine guy trying to help but his paycheck comes from a media that is no saint when it comes to intellectual honesty.

As for Ken I may have jumped the gun on his motivations. Having a life size replica of the ark dose not make the argument for creation stronger, It does however start a conversation about origins.

My concern is there are many in the christian community that desire strongly that the beliefs of Christianity need to become mainstream to be justified. The true power of Jesus and the gospel is quenched as individuals fight for the attention of the secular world. But who am I to judge either one of these guys motivations or put limits on who and what God sees as useful.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Wow, so first let me start by saying there is a WHOLE lot of anger in this thread that I see. In my opinion, there really shouldnt be. With that said, I think I would like to share my experience of the Noah Encounter.

First, Let me break the news, I'm an agnostic married to a Evangelical wife. The creation museum and Ark encounter is not my first choice of how I would like to spend $140 dollars. HOWEVER, I love my wife, and since I do, why not drop 140 on a date, I would spend that anyway, doing something.

Anyway, I loaded my car drove 7 hours, got a hotel near Cincinnati, got to sleep, then the next day got to the Creation Museum. My first suggestion is dont go on the weekend, the lines are big, and kinda ruins the mood. That said, I did watch a very interesting movie in the planitarium that wasnt necessarily creationist. Christian yes absolutely, however it was interesting. The second movie was about aliens. ya not so interesting. My wife and I then did the museum.

First let me tell you I am not a creationist, However I'm not narrow minded, and I dont mind listening to anyone. I can disregard anything quite easily. With that said. I think the museum had an interesting message. I was entertained, and while i dont necessarily agree with 60% of what they said, it did lay a a good message, We need morals, ethics, etc.

Right so at the end of the museum, I went back to the car, and sat for an hour while my while looked in the gift shop. After that she got in the car we drove the 40 or so minutes to the ark. I was really pretty much expecting the same mood etc.

First let me tell you. The parking is about 300 yards from the Ark. You go out to get on the bus, and you can see it on the hill. ITS HUGE!!. so the bus takes you in, and for most the ride in (5 minutes) you cant see it. Then you arrive. I will say again. ITS HUGE!!!!!!. I was HIGHLY surprised by the size. Then I am surprised by what it actually is. Think about this for a moment. Its a WOODEN ship(looks, feels, acts like a wooden ship) that is the size of a cruise ship. Again, I can not under estimate the size. Again, ITS HUGE!!!!!. So again, I get to the base of the ship. Its about 100 yard walk to it. I go through the cow canals to get into the ship. (Again, I would not go during a weekend, go during the week and save yourself some frustration.)

First let me say it again, I am not a devote christian, nor am i a creationist at all, HOWEVER, I can not emphasis enough, This is an amazing ship. You may not agree with everything said, and that doesnt really matter. What matters is this is a once in a lifetime thing to do. I have been to paris, I have seen the Louve, the effil tower. I have gone to copenhagen to see the canals, and I have seen the locks at sunrise coming into stockholm. This is on par with that.

Take it for what it is, its an amazing ship, there is an amazing story, you may not agree with it, BUT again, it is an amazing scene to go to.

Camain

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

Fascinating!

The second movie was about aliens. ya not so interesting.

How do they work aliens into the bible and creationism? Nephilim?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

S&F for the most laughable pic I have seen in ages! Dinosaurs on the ark LOL

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Hi stormdancer!!

Yes, I believe in spirits and in unseen "guides" - and I believe in the eternal status of the soul. What I don't believe is the stories of Noah and Jonah and the Resurrection and the Ascension......

I don't believe in the "Virgin Birth", or that only those who "believe on Jesus" (whatever code that is supposed to be - sounds all pretentious to me) will enjoy an afterlife. That stuff is preposterous.

It might interest you (or not) - that over the last three days I have been working on a room remodel project, and listening to documentaries while doing it.
Yesterday I listened to two or three dealing with NDEs - and today I listened to one in particular titled "Did Jesus Die?" and also another (prior to Did Jesus Die) about the McCollum case back in the 40s, when the SCOTUS decided that schools are not to teach religion. The "wall of separation".

The latter helped me understand how long the "Bible Belt" people have been squawking about atheists being "communists" and "pariahs" - when this woman simply didn't want her kid indoctrinated and ridiculed in the public school at Champagne/Urbana back in the 40s. She's in the documentary - she was still alive - Vashti McCollum. Just as big of a deal as the Scopes Monkey Trial.

The "Did Jesus Die" one simply explains what I believe - that Jesus survived the crucifixion, went into self-imposed exile (possibly with his wife Mary Magdalene) after he was recovered, and then went BACK to Kashmir, where he had spent his formative years (age 13-29) studying in Buddhist monasteries. They have documentation there of him leaving at age 29 and returning at age 33 to stay, and he died there when he was 80.

I heard (reconfirming what I'd already learned) about how the "Gospels" do not agree - and how the "Ascension" was added on later. And how the "second coming" was just Jesus saying he'd be back - like if I left to go get groceries....he couldn't go back, though - because there was a bounty on his head. So Thomas went to Kashmir and started a church there. Jesus was there, too.

I wish every Christian would realize those things, and also that just because Jesus was a man, he was a sage, a "master", just like Buddha and Krishna, etc. it doesn't mean his message was less....his message was still true.

He was taught Eastern thought by those in the East ---that's where he was during his "lost years". And the "Three Wise Men" were the crew who go out to meet the babies they think might be the next Dalai Lama.....

Those, as far as I'm concerned, are the facts of what happened. We all have an afterlife. There is no prerequisite "born again" or "baptism" - we all get there. No worries.

Anyway: Did Jesus Die?

This film investigates the variety of stories surrounding the New Testament account of the crucifixion, death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus, by interviewing historians, theologians and historical researchers. This exploration of the latest theories about what really happened to Jesus 2000 years ago uncovers some surprising possibilities.

At the heart of the mystery is the suspicion that Jesus might not actually have died on the cross. The film concludes that it was perfectly possible to survive crucifixion in the 1st Century - there are records of people who did. But if Jesus survived, what happened to him afterwards?

One of the most remarkable stories concerns the charismatic preacher Jus Asaf (Leader of the Healed) who arrived in Kashmir in around 30 AD. Just before he died at the age of 80, Jus Asaf claimed that he was in fact Jesus Christ and the programme shows his tomb, next to which are his carved footprints which bear the scars of crucifixion.

Here's the other one: The Lord is Not on Trial Here Today.

The Lord Is Not On Trial Here Today is a Peabody and Emmy Award-winning documentary that tells the compelling personal story of the late Vashti McCollum, and how her efforts to protect her ten year-old son led to one of the most important and landmark First Amendment cases in U.S. Supreme Court history - the case that established the separation of church and state in public schools.

The case is little-known by the contemporary American public, yet the McCollum decision continues to have important ramifications for current conflicts over the role of religion in public institutions - from displays of the Ten Commandments in government buildings to student-led prayers at public school graduation ceremonies.

So, yeah - the ark, built by Amish people is a wonderful accomplishment. Too bad it's filled with stupid lies about dinosaurs and a 900 year old man. That story is hogwash.

Religulous is another movie that would illustrate my opinions about the Bible Belt Evangelical Nonsense in this country.

If you want the links to the films about NDEs (clinically dead people who were revived), which are very convincing, I'll be happy to provide them!

Have a great night, dear!

edit on 7/18/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

That was very courteous of you to do....I understand wanting to experience it, regardless of its more sinister intentions (to indoctrinate kids). As a social exposee I think it probably is worth seeing, about like the world's biggest ball of twine...

Have you seen the movie "The Fundamentals of Caring"?
Worth a watch.

edit on 7/18/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

yea something like that, it was cartoonish, kinda funny, not meant to be serious, they did ask some interesting questions. I took it for what it was. It was interesting, do I agree with it all, no, but it was definately interesting.

Chris

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

I wasn't watching TV. I was listening to documentaries while I was working on a floor I'm resurfacing.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

But you're an adult. What do you think a little kid would see? A four or a six....wouldn't be cheezy to them.

Think 'santa claus'. Kids totally fall for Santa Claus until they realize it's a pretense. That's why some Jesuit somewhere one time said, "Give me a child until he is seven years old, and I will give you the man."

Yeah.
So - if the parents are telling their kids SPECIFICALLY that "this isn't real, honey - it's like a cartoon"...then they might very well be bamboozled by the thing. Sadly, that is exactly what many many many Evangelical parents want to do, and strive to do.

The Home-schooling movement is a hotbed of the stuff.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Last weekend the Evangelicals from the church next door (its yard is adjacent, with no fence between) were going door to door handing out fliers for a "Block Party" which was held on Saturday.

Perfectly nice people - Mr Wigs even went over to take advantage of the bouncy house (no, just kidding - he went over for the free hot dogs). The flyer they'd taken around talked about how they send missionaries to Kenya....

I didn't go over there, but I haven't had any problem with them. I've mowed the lawn for the previous pastor, and the original one knew me as well. I just don't believe in their thing. If they're pleasant and good neighbors, we're cool! It's all good!!

In the 17 years I've lived here, there has never been more than a dozen people there at a time (except for one funeral thing), and there has only been services about 5 times a year to begin with.....no weddings, and until Saturday, no "open houses" or 'block parties'. This one did have a bouncy house, though.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

The bible has been ridiculed for thousands of years, there is nothing new under the sun
Christianity will always remain a fringe group, though it may be said it is the predominant religion of the west it's actually not. There are many who are Christians by name only, call themselves Christians but don't live it
Christianity will never be justified or go mainstream, Jesus even teaches that, the road is narrow
The reality of the tax dollar, the government made a decision, many people in the state are Christian, would have wanted that money spent there, pay taxes
It's a pity all the anti Christians just can't live and let live.
Christians pay tax just like the secular, vote for representatives just like the secular, ask for tax dollars just like the secular
Difference is the secular act like this thread here depicts when they don't get the money to spend on lying school text books

The fundy atheists act all Wesboro like and do a Bill nye and have a big cry, hissy fit

Don't see these scientific fundamentalists bitching about Haeckels embryos, the lie of the peppered moth still published in text books though they are established as frauds. They pretend they care about the truth and children, hypocrites of the worst kind

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

The bible has been ridiculed for thousands of years

The Bible hasn't been ridiculed for 1000's of years. People who take every word of it literally are.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Christians pay tax just like the secular, vote for representatives just like the secular, ask for tax dollars just like the secular
Difference is the secular act like this thread here depicts when they don't get the money to spend on lying school text books

The fundy atheists act all Wesboro like and do a Bill nye and have a big cry, hissy fit

It really astounds me that you say this.
Really, truly does. You have no respect for the truth or modern thought, then - for free-thinkers and scientific facts...right?
Pathetic.

wow.

Something really horribly traumatic must have happened to you to be in that frothing state of mind every day.

I know I'm an antitheist and agnostic who takes opportunities as they come along to point out how delusional, judgmental, bigoted and hateful SOME SELF-DESCRIBED CHRISTIANS are -
I do it on purpose. Your venom only fuels the flames. I'm busy trying to educate you and your kids about what is real.
Your attitude is all about condescending rudeness, with everyone, and (honestly) sounds like desperation and an addiction sort of crutch thing to me.

If I am proven wrong, then oh well. I have expressed what I believe. Your revulsion about it is your problem, not mine.
And that is mutual.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Besides the exhibit being an obvious and morally repulsive praise to genocide, it is a taxpayer funded flood of ignorance. Including taxes from people who aren’t allowed to find employment there!
The Ark Encounter hires only Christians but scams everyone. None profit tax free scams should be free!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Tardacus
I always wondered where they stored all the food to last that many animals at least 40 days.
For instance, an adult lion eats between 11-15 pounds of meat a day,multiply that by 40 days
( it rain for 40 days,although the animals were on the ark longer than 40 days because noah had to wait for the water to subside before he could let the animals off the ark)
and that equals a minimum of 440 pounds of meat for just 1 lion. multiply that 440 pounds times the number of meat eating animals on the ark and we are talking tons and tons of just meat.
Then there had to be thousands of tons of vegetation for the non meat eaters to eat. Noah would have needed 4 arks just to carry all the food for all those animals.

Maybe, just maybe, just
Noah was wiser than you and took little baby lions

Common sense goes begging

what did the baby lions eat after they left the ark? they had to eat something to survive for years and become mature lions that could reproduce.
maybe they ate the unicorns and all the dinosaurs? that would explain why there are no unicorns or dinosaurs anymore.

Fish.

And yes, I just pulled that out of my butt.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join