It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Absolutely Wrong': Bill Nye the Science Guy Takes on Noah's Ark Exhibit

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

originally posted by: Bone75

At this point I'm not overly concerned with all of that. I just want to know whether or not they could've all fit on the ark.

At a pair of animals every 30 seconds it would take about 300 years to get them all on the ark.

Does that include rounding them up and keeping them alive before departing? Seriously.. How did these guys get to Antarctica, then round up 17 species of penguin and get them back to the middle east. The fact is, these bronze age primitives did not even know penguins existed or Antarctica existed for that matter.
edit on fTuesday165576f554706 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

(post by Raggedyman removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

originally posted by: Bone75

At this point I'm not overly concerned with all of that. I just want to know whether or not they could've all fit on the ark.

At a pair of animals every 30 seconds it would take about 300 years to get them all on the ark.

So you're saying the arc would've had to accommodate roughly 300,000,000 species of animals?

t
edit on 19-7-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Here we have the crux of your problem

(a) You feel that evolution is a a faith. You don't have poof. You feel it.
and
(b)You don't understand (despite repeated explanations) that a theory in science means much more than it does in every day useage.

It appears that you will accept any science, as long as it does not cause you to feel unsettled in your faith.

As for evidence empirical of not? You keep discounting it when it is shown too you (and many of us have in many past posts, I am not going to do it again). Perhaps you need to examine yourself? You are qualified how to accept or discount evidence? OR do you just feel it?

Lets take it a step further. Where is the empirical evidence for creation?
edit on 19-7-2016 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

Do I ever talk to whom? Believers? Of course...but not about their religion.

Do I talk to people at the church who think they have all the answers about God? Nope.
edit on 7/19/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Enough Dude, your like a juior higher with a microphone. Just set it down and relax. There are better ways to express your frustration than tossing everyone who disagrees with you on to your freeway of shame.

I participate in these threads to learn and hopefully change a heart or mind, in my experience with communication enduring patience goes a long way. I can endure the athiest snide remarks but not so much coming form a fellow person of faith.

“Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing.
Proverbs‬ ‭12:18,
bible.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Dude...it just occurred to me that you are an Aussie, and so is Ken Ham.

Also - Ricky Gervais is an Aussie, and so are you and Ken Ham and Jim Jefferies.

Ricky and Jim are brilliant. I bet you think they have cooties and are possessed by the devil, though - right?

If you aren't aware of them (like US Americans might not be aware of Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart), then you need to be.
In order to keep up here on ATS. You need to be aware of both sides - the arguments of both/all sides.

Otherwise you are (like Sremmos said) being willfully ignorant (and/or 'trolling'). And on here, we try to discourage that.

Wow, I must be in a different world to you, I dont relate evolution to tv personalitys like you do

Dudette...Ken Ham is an Aussie, built a boat, you hate it, me I think not much about it, its mostly irrelevant to my life.
Jim Jeffries, never heard of him
Ricky Gervis is a pohm, go antagonise TB
Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart, never heard of them, I am not interested in them either, not a big tv watcher

anyways
Lets discuss 11 points
1) We have morals, too!

2) You don't know us better than we know ourselves.
You kdding me right? You over there in USA, me here. I know nothing about yous outside of your post rants, on the other hand you know squat about me

3) We don't deep down believe in your particular God.
Really, OMG!!! I get that, kinda obvious sweety

4) We don't hate your particular God.
Yeah, I suspect given the amount of hate from you haters, there is lots of that going on, or is it you just hate our beliefs.
You, the head on the clip does not speak for everybody

5) We don't all disbelieve because something bad happened to us! (AKA, we aren't "broken")
Really, so what, whats the point.
Something bad didnt happen to lots of people, whats your point

6) Believing isn't a choice (I made a thread entitled "how does one force themselves to believe?")
Believing isnt a choice, its a decision, its like building a house, hard work and effort

7) Most of used to be Christians too (and then we stopped, because we figured out we didn't believe it).
Most may have attended church and listened and acted christian, big difference

8) Quoting the Bible doesn't work like a Jedi Mind Trick.
Wow, aint I learning, being schooled in stuff I have never heard could never believe, ever see

(saying it one more time isn't going to magically cure us. And most of us know the Bible better than most of you, anyway)
I doubt that, I have read the posts here

9) We don't worship the devil. (we don't believe in the devil, either!)
That is an issue w could discuss, mostly you worship yourselves, other people like those mentioned above

10) Hell doesn't scare us. To us, it doesn't even make any sense.
Shock, something you dont believe in doesnt scare you, gosh, thats pretty cool, pretty tough, pretty bloody obvious my dear girl

11) Not all of us are anti-theists. (Although I personally am becoming more and more an anti-theist agnostic.)
No, not all are but the ones ranting and railing here are, you, i have read your previous threads and this one
Why pretend, just why

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Pretend what?

I'm not pretending.

If you don't know Jim Jefferies, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, and Eddie Izzard, then we are not even on the same planet, sir. Get out of the house once in a while. If you don't know who those people are, then you are sorely lacking in knowledge that would help you combat the naysayers that you so vehemently disdain.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

It is probably a good time to point out, that it is not the place of someone who does not have a given belief, to proclaim that the belief in question cannot exist comfortably alongside other concepts.

After all, I have free will. I can do and think as I please, and it pleases me greatly to have Jesus to guide my spirit, and science to guide my reasoning. Not only does it please me, but I waste an awful lot less time being confused because I lack one or the other in my life, and fInd my toolkit absent vital equipment, when life throws a curved one at me.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman I believe the devil put dinosaur bones for to confuse us..oh well doughty that is real earlier..
So Dina sours on the ark?
Maybe, maybe not
This thread is about Bill Nye supporting an Amusement park, if I read the OP correctly and what is being taught to young minds...? through a simple park that is not paying taxes for their beliefs, which may or may not be true...
Am I correct or not?
Will reread the OP and let you know if I receive no reply and am not promoting thread drift off topic, or name calling, sweetie... just kidding. Hope you are okay and I will reread the OP.
Then perhaps start a thread that is in line with the OP, concerning religious views on Dino sours... whether they existed alongside man kind or not.
Thank you for reading... my reply... to your post.
Okay, so ken ham invited bill Nye and Mr. Nye disagrees that Dino sours were on the ark..if that is correct?
So are we discussing whether it is true or false that Dino sours were on the ark?
They weren't mention in the bible as being on the ark so, unless there are written scripts proving otherwise, there is little left to debate.
Great thread OP.
Children should definitely think for themselves for they are smarter than given credit for many times... sorry dealing with my auto correct said skater not smarter.
I'm out of this.

edit on 19-7-2016 by peppycat because: on topic according to OP.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

There you have it, someone indoctrinated in the modern paradigms is upset that someone challenges the notions of those paradigms.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: dr1234

It is probably a good time to point out, that it is not the place of someone who does not have a given belief, to proclaim that the belief in question cannot exist comfortably alongside other concepts.

After all, I have free will. I can do and think as I please, and it pleases me greatly to have Jesus to guide my spirit, and science to guide my reasoning. Not only does it please me, but I waste an awful lot less time being confused because I lack one or the other in my life, and fInd my toolkit absent vital equipment, when life throws a curved one at me.
nicely put, thank you I agree. Would love to see video of Bill Nye and Ken Ham, discussing this topic.
edit on 19-7-2016 by peppycat because: quote all wonky

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

I would likely find such a discussion very difficult to watch. I find Ham disagreeable, because of his "fundamentalism". Now, I put that word in quotes, because it is important to note, that true fundamentalist worship of Christ involves no dedicated worship space, no organisation devoted to the upkeep of those premises, no priests, no clergy, no hierarchy between oneself and God of any kind, save for Jesus himself.

Of course, many considered fundamentalist Christians these days, would find living in a world without congregational worship utterly befuddling. The real fundamentalists are out there, looking after people, making no noise, making no fuss, moving around largely unseen and desiring no recognition for it. But that's an issue for yet another discussion!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Those are actors and comedians. Lol iow they are professional liars...lol

Jaden

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

So is a man who puts dinosaurs on the ark.

BS in the name of God is actually WORSE than BS for any other reason.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Someone once said the story of Noah and the ark was real, but was actually an alien vessel, and Noah was its commander who spent much time gathering the DNA of every species on earth, including humans, in preparation for an ELE the aliens couldn't prevent. It was quite an imaginative tale, but I would believe that fairy tale, before I ever believed the biblical version.

I actually always assumed if the Ark was real, it was a collection of DNA samples. Putting 2 of every species on Earth on a ship would require an OBNOXIOUSLY large ship, and at minimum, tens of thousands of hours of exploration, lugging animals across continents, down mountains, through rainforests, from the Arctic to Australia to their accomodations on a boat which must have been at least 5 miles long.

There's over 2,000 species of rodents alone. What kind of habitat did they have on the Ark? With a few DNA samples of every animal on Earth, probably a single refrigerated 40-foot shipping container would be more than enough.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: peppycat

I would likely find such a discussion very difficult to watch. I find Ham disagreeable, because of his "fundamentalism". Now, I put that word in quotes, because it is important to note, that true fundamentalist worship of Christ involves no dedicated worship space, no organisation devoted to the upkeep of those premises, no priests, no clergy, no hierarchy between oneself and God of any kind, save for Jesus himself.

Of course, many considered fundamentalist Christians these days, would find living in a world without congregational worship utterly befuddling. The real fundamentalists are out there, looking after people, making no noise, making no fuss, moving around largely unseen and desiring no recognition for it. But that's an issue for yet another discussion!

Ah, truer words are seldom spoken! For some reason we get all of our labels wrong these days! Liberal, Conservative, Fundamentalist... None of them seem to mean what the words are actually supposed to mean anymore - but they help those who identify as such to believe they are what they claim to be.

Silly world.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I really would like to see what Bill Nye proved incorrect in the exhibit... Or if he just threw any and all arguments against mainstream science under the bus without researching anything... That's most likely it.

Christians and the un-faithful all a like use circular reasoning to defend their views. Somewhere along the lines "It's right because someone built upon other things that someone said was right before me, and all the way back and so on! So therefore all my work I built upon these is totally legit... Because it's JUST RIGHT!!!"

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I guess we watched a different debate. Bill Nye tried appealing to emotion, and failed to prove his case that the teaching of creation science is harmful to actual science. Historical science and observational science are not the same thing. Observational science, which is subject to the scientific method, is what gives us medicine, computers, rockets, bridges etc. Ham even brings up the point that the inventor of the MRI is a creation scientist. Historical science is purely theoretical and cannot be verified using the scientific method. It gives us stories of apes turning to humans, the universe being created from an explosion of nothing. It 100% hinges on your worldview on how you interpret the evidence. If you hate God and the Bible, nothing you see will convince you to the contrary. Ask yourself what has the Darwinian molecules to man evolutionary theory positively contributed towards our advancement? Unless that is, you like the racial tension going on today. If only someone didn't suggest that one group is inferior, or less 'evolved' than another, where would we be?

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: kingofmd

Lol Aw too funny that you just make up this idea of historical science and then throw your flawed explanation of both evolution and the big bang in there.

Social Darwinism is something a sociologist twisted and applied to humans, evolution never said that any humans are inferior based on race.
edit on thWed, 20 Jul 2016 10:22:34 -0500America/Chicago720163480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join