It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Absolutely Wrong': Bill Nye the Science Guy Takes on Noah's Ark Exhibit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yeah, so. Do you guys remember the debate between Ken Ham and Bill Nye? A couple of years ago.....
they had this awesome debate where Bill demolished Ham's ridiculous fundamentalist bullcrap.

Ken was planning to build this giant "Ark" replica. And he did.

So, Bill Nye went to see it. This thread is about how he responded.

'Absolutely Wrong': Bill Nye the Science Guy Takes on Noah's Ark Exhibit

Days after white doves and shofar horns christened the opening of a new Noah's Ark attraction in northern Kentucky, the land-anchored ship welcomed a conspicuous and curious visitor: Bill Nye "the Science Guy."

The bow-tied man of science — openly skeptical about the exhibit from the time it was announced — was an invited guest at the Ark Encounter, which opened July 7 and is billed as the largest timber-frame structure in the world, at 51 feet tall and 1-1/2 football fields in length.

Nye had to see the voluminous vessel for himself, and set off for the rolling green vistas of Williamstown, a rural community south of Cincinnati.

What he found, he told NBC News, was an eye-catching attraction that was "much more troubling or disturbing than I thought it would be."

There is a video in the article (not a youtube vid, so don't know how to embed it) that briefly shows circular saws and interior pens with dinosaur replicas and automated robot 'people' in the exhibits) - they were even going to use real animals at one point, but that plan got scrapped (thankfully).

Anyway - so, here's more about what Bill Nye had to say about it, having been invited as a guest:

"On the third deck (of the ark), every single science exhibit is absolutely wrong," he said. "Not just misleading, but wrong."

Nye said the exhibit encourages visitors to trust faith over science and thereby undercuts their ability to engage in critical thinking.

"It's all very troubling. You have hundreds of school kids there who have already been indoctrinated and who have been brainwashed," he said, recalling how one young girl on the Ark told him to change his way of thinking.

"The parents were feeding her word for word," Nye added.

So. There you have it, folks.
Bill Nye visits the Kentucky tourist attraction that promises to brainwash umpteen millions of little kids with a bunch of fantastical LIES!!!

What do you think about it?
I think it's awful.

edit on 7/17/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Nye said that while he appreciated some of the craftsmanship details that went into building the boat, which was the handiwork of Amish laborers, something else behind the scenes has troubled him.

He takes issue with a tax break that the commonwealth of Kentucky provided to the Ark Encounter — built at a cost of $102 million. Despite opposition in 2014 by former state officials, a federal judge earlier this year ruled that the Ark could take advantage of a state sales tax rebate worth as much as 25 percent of the investment.

Boo. Churches and their amusement parks should be paying the same taxes as Six Flags or any other amusement park.
I have to wonder if the Amish were aware of the finagling going on.....

surprising that they would do the labor if they had objections to it.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here is the original debate.....

Well worth the couple of hours plus to watch it.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Bill Nye just turned in his disguise!!! Let them know the truth NYE!

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
And entrance to this spectacle??? Costs FORTY DOLLARS.

USD $40

edit on 7/17/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: fix formatting

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Where I live-in the deep south-this kind of indoctrination goes on 24/7. You can't open a Chik fil-a franchise unless you have been totally indoctrinated and they close on Sundays. You can seldom share your beliefs with others here unless you drink the kool-aid. Even at the schools. Can't wait to move. Can't believe anyone taking this ark seriously but I know all the churches around here have rented the buses and are sold out in tickets. Scary.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I want to build my own R'lyeh amusement park and fill it with appropriately themed rides and attractions.

edit on 17-7-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

You can seldom share your beliefs with others here unless you drink the kool-aid. Even at the schools. Can't wait to move. Can't believe anyone taking this ark seriously but I know all the churches around here have rented the buses and are sold out in tickets. Scary.

That is scary, indeed. Should have ceased by now!!!

So sad. Earlier today I was listening to documentaries, and one was about the "Ancient Astronauts" theory. I can actually relate to that theory. I can NOT accept Ham's "Answers In Genesis" as anything but nonsense.

My kids are 25 and 27 now - we watched Bill Nye The Science Guy on TV when they were preschoolers!!
Thank God for Bill Nye. lol

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure PETA would also have a few things to say about all of it

:-)

It's good that Mr. Nye has a sense of humor

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Someone once said the story of Noah and the ark was real, but was actually an alien vessel, and Noah was its commander who spent much time gathering the DNA of every species on earth, including humans, in preparation for an ELE the aliens couldn't prevent. It was quite an imaginative tale, but I would believe that fairy tale, before I ever believed the biblical version.

edit on 7/17/2016 by Klassified because: coherence

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yes...and, I was also told that the moon was the actual ark. That's a really high mountain top!

edit on 17-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Tell us about the rides...I want to know about the rides there!!!

Is there a dinosaur with a saddle thing that you put some coins in and it rocks back and forth??

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Oh wow - just listening to the debate again - Ham just said "I encourage children to listen to this"....

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea tbh

but with some alterations. perhaps convert the pens into small apartments, and instead of a park, make it a homeless shelter and job training center. then I will see the work of good hearted christians behind this project

But as it stands, just looks like a bunch of greedy corporates banking off the superstition of local morons, and enforcing nonsense.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

But as it stands, just looks like a bunch of greedy corporates banking off the superstition of local morons, and enforcing nonsense.

And the local government is complicit........
sad.

Just sad.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Tell us about the rides...I want to know about the rides there!!!

The show stopper will be the CthulhuCoaster which deposits you in his gaping maw at the end.

Nom nom nom.

Is there a dinosaur with a saddle thing that you put some coins in and it rocks back and forth??

No, but we do have a Shoggoth petting area. Highly recommended for the little ones.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Nye said the religious element of the theme park itself doesn't worry him — rather, he's concerned about what it's passing off as fact.

"I'm not busting anyone's chops about a religion," he said. "This is about the absolutely wrong idea that the Earth is 6,000 years old that's alarming to me."

Ham, on the other hand, has accused atheists of being "intolerant bullies" toward people of faith. He is confident both the Ark Encounter and his Creation Museum will see a shared surge in interest.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

"So while a large group of people were gathered around, I publicly prayed for Bill. I did ask him if we could be friends, but he said we could be acquaintances with mutual respect, but not friends."

What a dick. Who's the closed-minded fundamentalist now?

Also, one would think that someone as scientifically inclined as Bill Nye would've spent more time debunking what he saw instead of engaging in political bickering.
edit on 17-7-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I'm thinking about this - and unfortunately now I can't stop. I'm just trying to work out the science...

So - I get that God was pissed. Humans suck, he miscalculated or something - yada, yada, yada...they all gots to go

He gives Noah ample time (apparently) and detailed instructions. Please build a big ass boat - get all the critters and their snacks on board. Extras of everything in case they are also the snacks. Wait for the waters to rise, then wait for a sign...

Keep it simple stupid doesn't really apply here I guess

The way I see it - the 6,000 years thing is the easiest part of this story to swallow

I say - some of these kids are going to be OK Buzzy. It's just a numbers thing. Eventually some kids figure out Santa can't really deliver that many toys in one night all by themselves

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
Eventually some kids figure out Santa can't really deliver that many toys in one night all by themselves

Wait, what??!?!?!?!?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join