It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 7 Checking for Updates for Hours.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

My friend has the same problem as you. He has to wait and then check for updates and pick to install. I think Microsoft has a major clitch because they are pushing Windows 10 into the auto update.

I bought a Windows 10 dell laptop recently. It's not working. Lol. It keeps saying you computer is not compatible with Windows 10. I am like what, it has Windows 10 lol. I just had to put it away.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Your issue is different to the issue the OP is describing.
I can suggest a few things to try but judging by your response to the IE question I fear you may have not updated IE when they had became available, which can cause major issues to windows updates further down the line.

There is a tool you can run that checks the windows servicing catalog against currently installed updates and that can often fix issues with missing prerequisites, which is a common fault with windows updates failing.

It's called the System Readiness Checker.
I have a feeling it's the same thing that Klassified linked to but comes in a downloadable file.

The other common issue is with WMI repository errors and fixing those takes a little bit of investigating and a bit of knowledge using the command line. There is a tool called wmidiag which you can get from here.

You need to run the vbs script then read the logs and see what errors you have, it will then give you various options to repair the WMI repository. If you need any help, let me know.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Klassified

Is there a workaround to the INternet Explorer requirement?
I never used it on this computer....and so it is probably woefully not up to date....I don't even remember how IE works LOLOL

None that I know of. I tried on both Firefox and Chrome. No go. You can however, download Internet Explorer 11 here, and update it. You'll need to be online, so it can download required components.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

It doesn't fail....it just runs and runs and runs....and RUNS.....I'm talking wuaserv....sometimes taking up huge amounts of CPU usage and memory.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I'll try that, thanks....there's no sneaky stuff attached that will activate Win10, is there?

Can I then "de-activate" IE....I really don't use it...haven't for more than 5 years....and totally not comfortable with it.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

OK. Uninstall KB3102810 from Programs & Features, View Installed Updates.
If you have any of the following updates installed, uninstall them. KB3035583, KB2952664, KB3021917.
Check task manager and see if GWX.exe is running, if it is end it. Navigate to C:windows & delete the folder GWX.
Go into task scheduler and delete the task under MicrosoftWindowsApplication ExperienceMicrosoft Compatibility Appraiser.
Download the script from here & run it.
Go into system services and disable the windows update service.
Reboot.
Reinstall KB3102810 & set the windows update service back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
Reboot.
Try again & hide any of the updates I mentioned above.

Internet Explorer is integrated into the OS, you have no choice in having it but keeping it up to date is critical if you want to keep your O/S secure. Just utilise other browsers and keep IE for sites that require it. IE11 is probably the best version of their browser in Win7.
edit on 18-7-2016 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

OK...thanks....I'll attempt this when I can again turn updates on.....

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I'll try that, thanks....there's no sneaky stuff attached that will activate Win10, is there?

Can I then "de-activate" IE....I really don't use it...haven't for more than 5 years....and totally not comfortable with it.

No sneaky stuff.

Just don't use it any more once you're done with it.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

thanks for the info, Klass!!!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join