It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do I tell my friend who keeps preaching to me???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

Tell him the truth.
Why do anything else?

If that was me I'd be like "dude I know, you know I know, how about we talk about something else for once?"
It's to the point but not ignorant unless they're the real touchy type.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I know the difficulty of this situation.

In my view, there is only one surefire way to stop someone filling your ears with drivel in a situation like this, and that is to say the following:

"The day I take a Bible lesson from a goddess worshiper, from someone who prays to saints and virigns and gives them the respect that should be EXCLUSIVELY given to Christ and God themselves, will be the day that Gabriel gets his trumpet out."

Although the results can vary, they always result in one kind of silence or another.

If it's getting that bad, try it out!

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I had this problem not long ago. My sweetheart kept trying to convert me. It annoyed me to no end and I finally said, "Look, when we got together you knew I wasn't christian or even religious. You were fine with that and said it didn't matter. Now it's like I'm not good enough for you. If you want a christian, go find one. I love you but I'm not going to convert." That ended it. She apologized and hasn't done it since. Being preached at is one of the most annoying things in the world.

In other words, you don't talk about it.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Honestly, I'm usually a very tactful person but if someone goes too far, they get an earful.

Just tell him he's driving you bloody nuts.

I've had my ear bent a few times by people trying to 'educate' me on stuff I'm not interested in. If telling them doesn't work I'm happy to give them a smack or tell them to bugger off and leave me alone.

I hope that, in your case, a good telling will suffice

ETA - in case anyone thinks I am being harsh, there comes a point where this sort of thing becomes actual abuse. It can cause a great deal of mental stress and a person is entitled to put a stop to it.
edit on 17-7-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I love the quote, Skid!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial
Thank you. Do you mean the one in the pic?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Oops, should've specified. Yes, the "first rule of Fight Club" one in the graphic.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial
I saw that when I was looking for Fight Club memes. It made me laugh so I downloaded it.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Religious people are mentally ill (from being lied to from a young age) and very religious people are very mentally ill.

He's perseverating* on those few topics, it's like a brain Mobius-loop kind of thought process, brought on by all the lies he's been told and cognitive dissonance with the rest of reality.

You can't be friends with someone who is mentally ill AND annoys the hell out of you. You've basically stated that you can't stand being around him, and yet you think he's a friend.

You need some new friends. One or two would do. Avoid this guy, he's well on his way to spiraling in and you probably can't help him. And start reading some science textbooks and nonfiction, your educational level is kinda scary...

*Uncontrollable repetition of a particular response, such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus, usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
the thing is I'm Protestant. I am a Christian. I know the bible cover to cover. I pray daily. I was raised that way too. But that's what I was saying that if u wasn't anything then I could understand his preaching but he actually thinks that he's got a better path to God. It's it's just crazy. Like to think they actually pray to marry and the saints is rather disturbing. They were just people. They're not deaties. My thought is to a large degree were sorta left here to our own devices. That's free will. So prayer is good but I also think if anything I gonna be its up to me. But ya I just think it's strange. Maybe he thinks I'm not a Christian just because I'm not always talking about it the way he does or something. But I've told him I am. I guess he must not believe me. I don't get it. Like I have some issues going in right now so I said a prayer today about them. I really don't know if the message gets received anywhere but no harm in trying. I need all the help I can as I might end up homeless soon potentially. Hopefully not but it's looking that way now. The house might go up for sale tmrw. So I might just buy a small van and live in that. I just don't want to pay for rent until I can first start making some money. Even then the rent around here is just to high. Like its 1000 per month for a 1 bedroom apartment. I could buy a van for 1000

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

So you've got many more problems than this guy and his coffee conversations.

Here's some good reading, good luck: www.reddit.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Religion is stupid.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

It sounds like he's anxious and obsessing about it. Don't feed into it. At all. If you agree with him, he'll keep bringing it up so he gets your validation to relieve his anxiety. If you disagree, he'll argue with you to reassure himself he's right. So, I'd just flat out tell him you're not going to talk about religion and then not let him drag you into a discussion no matter what. Be a broken record if you have to. Eventually, he'll knock it off.

That's what I have to do with my grandma when she starts talking about food. Otherwise, she'll spend the whole meal talking about how many carbs are in our appetizer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join