It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would sailing around the world be a good idea or not???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I was debating this idea of learning to sail, eventually getting my own boat then sailing around the world. I really like the idea. I mean I think it has a lot of upside. However, probably some drawbacks as well. But from what I've researched, basically you'd only need an income of about 1 to 2 k per month, plus your boat to do this. The cost of a boat isn't too bad either. Like for 30k you have tons of options already. I seen someone selling a 30ft sailboat for 12k US which is a really good price for that size boat. Also I seen a lot of places offering free mooring. I really don't even know how that all works either but free parking sounds good. And then you could essentially go see an awful lot of places. The alternative was I was thinking I could just begin by getting a boat and just learning to sail it near the coast. There's one really good area that has an awful lot to see. Just off the coast of Vancouver. So the seas are calm there. I was thinking I could learn to sail there and then maybe eventually go out more into the open ocean. Plus I have my boating license already. So as a idea for retirement it's definitely up there. Do you think this is a good idea for retirement or not? Why?

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Go for it

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
DP
edit on 2016-07-17T05:28:52-05:002016Sun, 17 Jul 2016 05:28:52 -0500bSunday2807America/Chicago165 by corblimeyguvnor because: double post

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance
On your own? Have you read some of the books written by the people who've done it? Try that first.
It will open your eyes to the difficulties and expenses involved. If you haven't even learned to sail yet, you have a long way to go.
Also read up on the story of Donald Crowhurst.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
i would think it not a good idea.
you get so far out into the drink and youre not even on the map anymore. helpless.
does not seem like a good feeling to me.
i know people have done it.
still though. seems pretty dangerous and seems like there are several ways you could die a terrible death out there.
ill pass.

join a regatta john candy style. play it safe

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Yeah, I had the same fantasy years ago. Did a stint in the navy instead.

Nowadays I wouldn't be game to sail outside Aussie waters.

One hint mate, stay away from the South China Sea.

Kind regards and smooth sailing,

Bally

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Sailing isn't as dangerous as people think. Either is learning to sail. Bother far easier than I originally thought from what I've researched. Like learning basic sailing is about as difficult as learning to drive a car. I think it would make for a really exciting life. And if you die at sea, really what better way is there to go? You go fast, not slow. I mean seriously; you wanna live forever? . Better to die that way then long slow painfully of some decease.

edit on 17-7-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
Sailing isn't as dangerous as people think. Either is learning to sail. Bother far easier than I originally thought from what I've researched. Like learning basic sailing is about as difficult as learning to drive a car. I think it would make for a really exciting life. And if you die at sea, really what better way is there to go? You go fast, not slow. I mean seriously; you wanna live forever? . Better to die that way then long slow painfully of some decease.

If you are talking about going out to see then I think you will find out that sailing is nothing like learning to drive as there are no actual roads to navigate and when driving it is unlikley that the road will all of a sudden go from bieng flat to rising 30 feet in the air sharply and trying to flip your car over.

Stick to the van dude, far safer unless you have 20 years to learn how to survive on the seas.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   

yeah drowning is probably one of the worst ways there is to die.
passing on that.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Maybe you should ask yourself if you are running away from something , Its an old saying,but true, you cant run away from yourself.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Flat-Earther sailing around the world, eh?

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

ya in a circle ha ha

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

There doesn't have to be some grand phyolosophy behind ever reason. My reason is to go see the world. Not run away. Just want to live a little before I check out.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Start sailing up and down the coast, work out what you need and can do.
Gets very lonely and boring

Plenty of good places to sail, don't really need to go around the world
If you must why not?

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'd learn to fish first.

Really know how to do it and do it well.
Learning to operate a watercraft is pretty simple, 'Sailing" on the other hand on the open ocean/Sea is a whole lot more difficult from what I've gathered.

Anybody could hoist a sail and head out to sea. Navigating and operating beyond civilization/help is a huge gamble and one where the stakes are your own life and well being.

Still, a very romantic notion.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Quite a plethora of oratories you have posted over time. They kind of point to a mindset. I will ask you this ..... have you ever been sea sick ? I mean really, really sea sick...... for extended lengths of time ? I have... Two weeks and a day. So sick I was nearly incapacitated, and quite familiar with the poop deck on a 40 foot fishing boat. You mention Vancouver, so obviously you are talking about the Pacific. Well there are waves there called Pacific rollers. They are the norm, anywhere from four foot to eight and ten foot. Were talking calm waters too. They rapidly increase in inclement weather.

At intervals of six to ten seconds, they become a nonstop rollercoaster ride. The water is cold, the hull radiating that cold, and those rollers are often times plowed into as the frequency between them decreases, producing abundant salt spray. It is cold. You become salty without a source of bathing, and fresh water is a very valuable commodity. Sunburn is abundant.

It would seem a romantic endeavor, but in reality it becomes mundane and taxing. Solitude ...... there's plenty of that ! They say there's two times when boats are a pleasure.... when you get one, and when you sell one. They are a hole in the water into which you pour money.

Just thought you should know.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If you have never sailed a boat before. Then going around the world would be fatal for you. With no experience. Handling a sail boat in a protected bay is quite different than sailing a boat on open ocean. Not only do you have to navigate precisely. You have to be able survive many days with little sleep, food, or fresh water. Never leave port without someone knowing your route, and destination. You need to be a mechanic and boat builder in case of damage. There are so many things that can go wrong for a person that is underway. I have seen it happen many time. I am retired Coast Guard enlisted person. I have towed in many so called sailors because they got themselves in trouble on the ocean.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Sounds like a life-defining challenge. And like it would be extremely difficult and miserable, and most likely result in death, unless you're thoroughly prepared and experienced, and properly equipped. Have backups of important components, or the materials and means to repair. Radar, navigation tools and knowledge of how to use them (electronic as well as sextants, etc) and ideally an available satellite phone.

Solo is completely different than as part of a crew. More perilous, more monotonous, less likely to succeed, but the mental/spiritual/psychological rewards for success are undeniable.

Trust me, I know....

Because I read a WikiHow article about it!

This link, a LOT of knowledge and experience and $100k should be all you need!

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Of course, especially if you did it in a tent inside a van.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
Navigating and operating beyond civilization/help is a huge gamble and one where the stakes are your own life and well being.

Don't we all have Sat Nav these days? wait, i just thought, no downloadable maps of the Atlantic or Pacific yet!!! oops, stay at home bro ..... or learn you star charts
I mean, if Christopher Columbus had of thought that way ...... well, America wouldn't have been discovered yet, them bloody natives would still be rampaging about and Pocahontas would never have met John Smith ...... parallel universe and all that shoite
edit on 2016-07-17T09:40:49-05:002016Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:40:49 -0500bSunday4007America/Chicago169 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join