It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Evacuation Near White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
A man holed up in a van near the White House House has caused the evacuation of an area around 15th St. and Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C. The FBI are on scene and talking with the man. The man has told police that he has 15 gallons of gas in the van, and he will blow it up if he does not get his child back.

www.nbc4.com
WASHINGTON -- The area around 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue is being evacuated because of a man who has made a threat.

Police said the man is in a red van. News4 reported the van was pulled over for a routine traffic stop. Police then decided the man was a security threat, according to News4.

Police and the FBI are talking to him.

Lafayette Park was evacuated. The Secret Service, D.C. police, the bomb squad and the U.S. Park Police are on the scene.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just in time for the Inauguration.
The man has stated that he wishes to regain custody of his child. He is apparently upset about losing the child and wishes to create a scene to draw attention to his plight.

Police in the area are being very cautious, and keeping the public away.
Updates as more becomes available.

Fox News

Debra Weierman, spokeswoman for the FBI's Washington field office, said the man driving the red van claimed to have 15 gallons of gasoline.

He said he would "blow it up if he doesn't get his child back," she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News Stories
www.wtopnews.com

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a classical case of sh*t hits the van

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
threats threats threats....Everyone is suspicious. The man was probably just LOOKING. LOL...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Probably staged to give excuse to tighter securety, and no protest zones.

Cant have an inaguration like last time!!!
get your eggs ready

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm watching the whole thing from my office (I'm kinda pissed they didn't evacuate us - I wanted to go home early). My street is closed off and everything, but I think they're letting us out.

Here's more info:
wtopnews.com...

Weierman says he'll "blow it up if he doesn't get his child back."

Contrary to popular belief, it really is a crazy man and not just an excuse to tighten security....

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I guess what made the man and vehicle suspicious was crashing through a checkpoint.

www.wjla.com
A witness says that police are dealing with a man inside a van. That man reportedly drove through a security checkpoint and made unspecified threats. Traffic in the area is a mess.

The man is parked on the parade route for Thursday Innaugration.

[edit on 1/18/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Contrary to popular belief, it really is a crazy man and not just an excuse to tighten security....

WASHINGTON (AP) - The FBI says a man distraught over a child custody case is threatening to blow up his van near the White House.

That makes him crazy?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Being distraut doesn't make him crazy. Threating to blow up the van in a public place makes him crazy.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar

That makes him crazy?

I just said the same thing to my husband! LOL What the hell does him being distraught over a custody case have to do with him wanting to blow up his van neat the white house...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I love how the Fox News story is so much more urgent sounding than the NBC one. Fox says "blow up"... NBC says "set on fire... not a terrorist threat".

I wonder if he really said he was going to set himself on fire, and FOX said, "Oh, well that means the van could blow up!"

This just in... man threatens to blow up a van...

I hate the media. And I hope nothing happens, 'cause I don't want to be hearing about this crap from now until innauguration day... what a possible stunt this could be.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Umm... the story clearly states that the guy was pulled over for a routine traffic stop after which the authorities DECIDED he was a security threat. Maybe because he was distraught...who knows.

My bet is that he does have 15 gallons of gas... in his gas tank.

A for him getting his kid back, not a chance after this incident. Not exactly a "responsible" and model parent is he.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

Well it's my belife not exacticaly popular.
Are you a doctor have you tested this man.
how do you know he is crazy

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Halfofone]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halfofone

You know any sane people that will do this? Being distraught can make you crazy. Perhaps the semantics of the thing can be debated, but this is not a sane situation.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
What I find strange is that there is no major media coverage, I can find nothing on TV. MAkes you realize it is not that big a deal, or is it..hmmmm.....

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The police stand off with the Cedar Spring Michigan man edded after about four hours.

A police robot was used to deliver a cell phone to the man, which police used to negotiate a peacefull surrender.

www.wjla.com

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Ahead of Thursday's presidential inauguration, Washington is locked down to an unprecedented degree, residents are inconvenienced and have to pass through numerous checkpoints in some areas, police officers are on every corner, portable stinger missile launchers have been placed throughout the city, federal employees are being encouraged not come to work, other residents are opting to leave town altogether...
-Drudge Report

The guy isnt crazy, the government is.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Well now we know how is life in these days around our kingdom and our king's castle, so people if you are going to DC, remember don't move, don't breath and don't exist, or you will become a security thread and a danger to our nation and the full patriot act will be enforce upon you.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Like someone already said, would a sane person do this? You say you want your kid back but then you go and do something to assure that doesn't happen........
Like someone else said, being distraught can make you crazy. Not that he's a raving lunatic, but during those four hours he wasn't in his right mind.

Well now we know how is life in these days around our kingdom and our king's castle, so people if you are going to DC, remember don't move, don't breath and don't exist, or you will become a security thread and a danger to our nation and the full patriot act will be enforce upon you.

.....residents are inconvenienced and have to pass through numerous checkpoints in some areas, police officers are on every corner, portable stinger missile launchers have been placed throughout the city, federal employees are being encouraged not come to work, other residents are opting to leave town altogether...

Stuff in the media get's way overblown. It's really not that bad...
Seriously.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
that came from the conservative, Republican, Matt Drudge.

Make of it what you want.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
this guy is from michigan my local news had a big story on him about this.
www.woodtv.com...
www.woodtv.com... the second
link has a video at the top of the page.

new topics

top topics

join