It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Positive Singularity can Happen in Ten Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This is the claim of the scientist in this video.

Yes, goofy scientists speak, like a child who wants his father to buy him a soccer ball. Man playing a God and taking it seriously! What do you think at this idea. Natural, not?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Im gonna bet it aint happening

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: GmAndre

Possibly in 15-25 years. 10 years seems a stretch through, i mean we don't even have any real main stream quantum computer yet or for that matter an AI that can pass the Turing test. We are however heading in the right direction.
edit on 16-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Watching now.

I can't take any more of that burnout dude.

I have to skip past him every time he comes up.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS. Very thought provoking, and perhaps with enhanced lifespans and AI implants we might rise to such a sophistication that we will look back to the archives of this moment realizing what infants we were. Excellent OP.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Kurzweil, PhD, inventor of everything from machines that read to blind people to music synthesizers, truly an inventive genius who has studied these issues for years and has so many inventions to his credit that it will make your head swim. His first book, "The Age of Intelligent Machines," 1990, made a number of predictions. By 1999, in his book "The Age of Spiritual Machines," 90% of his predictions ten years prior had come true. You can read about him here.

What I find amusing is people here on ATS, largely unschooled in the areas in which Kurzweil is an acknowledged expert, see fit to blithely criticize his ideas and proclaim they can't happen or that he's just another crazy scientist. My request is that you read a couple of his books, study the issues involved, then come back here and tell us, point by point, precisely why he is wrong.

because so far, his predictions have been right on, and he has the track record to prove it.

Now: what's YOUR track record?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

What... you missed it?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The outstanding question is if we could create such a singularity, how could we possibly contain it?
A magnetic field capable of that would require enormous power to generate. We would also have the necessary ingredient required to warp space/time enough to perhaps allow time travel. I wonder where they think that kind of power could be harnessed, and by what method?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Kurzweil, PhD, inventor of everything from machines that read to blind people to music synthesizers, truly an inventive genius who has studied these issues for years and has so many inventions to his credit that it will make your head swim. His first book, "The Age of Intelligent Machines," 1990, made a number of predictions. By 1999, in his book "The Age of Spiritual Machines," 90% of his predictions ten years prior had come true. You can read about him here.

What I find amusing is people here on ATS, largely unschooled in the areas in which Kurzweil is an acknowledged expert, see fit to blithely criticize his ideas and proclaim they can't happen or that he's just another crazy scientist. My request is that you read a couple of his books, study the issues involved, then come back here and tell us, point by point, precisely why he is wrong.

because so far, his predictions have been right on, and he has the track record to prove it.

Excellent post and to the Op great video on a possible life changing hypothesis ... The only thing I might add is it does not matter if it happens in the next ten or even 50 years... It is coming one way or the other unless we manage to destroy ourselves.
edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

THANK YOU.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
The outstanding question is if we could create such a singularity, how could we possibly contain it?
A magnetic field capable of that would require enormous power to generate. We would also have the necessary ingredient required to warp space/time enough to perhaps allow time travel. I wonder where they think that kind of power could be harnessed, and by what method?
singularity cannot be contained, it will have a runaway effect. I can probably create a singularity with my time machine in a matter of fortnight. but needless to say i am very cautious www.scribd.con...
edit on 16-7-2016 by Nochzwei because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
OP. funny you mention 10 years. 2036 is when the RK's are leaving.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   

You can read about him here.

All disillusioned people smell from far away the idiocracy. He might be very philantrophic, yet full idiot. Paradox that I don't find pradoxical anymore. Obviously it's very natural.

Point by point why technomaniacs are wackos:

1."Ghost in the Machine"
2. "Evolution"
3. "Silicon Messiah"
4."Born as a Stranger"
5. "The Hunger"
6. "The Brave"
7. "Identity"
8."Reach for the Horizon"
9."The Launch"
10."Stare at the Sun"

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

wrong singularity.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I like Kurzweil's positive attitude. I always have. I do think he tends to habitually overestimate the speed at which this will be achieved. The math is one thing, but taking into account the social ebbs and flows that may hinder that exponential technological growth is trickier.

As far as changing our bodies and merging with technology I am all for it. I think that those that are capable of that psychological leap into the unknown will have an edge over those who cannot. He calls it the singularity now, but really it's trans- and post-humanism, but those terms make people nervous; and I guess I can see where he is coming from.

Bring. It. On.

new topics

top topics

join