It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

explosions and gunfire at Incirlik airbase.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
cutting power to the base would not make it more secure, quite the opposite in fact.
would be the first thing to go for an invading force, pure speculation.

Tho, if the Turkish government does believe the USA was in anyway involved in the coup, would be considered an act of war, this is the first place they would show up.
edit on 16-7-2016 by all2human because: (no reason given)

link   

link   

originally posted by: sg1642

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: earthling42

Incirlik is the base NATO uses, right?
happen to hold nuclear weapons there too I believe?

Yeah ... bunches even. I think each one of them has a yield of close to 20 times that of the bomb that fell on Hiroshima.

If Erdogan got his hands on them ... intact ... he could devise a way to defeat/circumvent the arming codes. Especially, if he took the ground crews as hostages.

Yep ... Turkey would fulfill its prophecy and become the headquarters of the Islamic Caliphate.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Stormdancer777

There should be a response unit in and around the area with 50 nukes right?

The US must be mobilizing that's why everyone is so tight lipped.

It's no joking matter they should have a rapid response team.

I am very worried

I'm not worried we have to have assets in or around the area if not this government needs to be impeached.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
There would have to be multiple contingency plans for Incilik, right? Coups are not unheard of in Turkey, it's the nicest place in a bad neighborhood, and there would have to be a contingency for evacuation in case of rapid Iranian or other invasion.

I'd hope they were on a some plain old transport already at Vincinsca, Aviano, or anywhere in Europe by now.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is an interesting read.

Today, Turkey hosts an estimated 90 B61 gravity bombs at Incirlik Air Base. Fifty of these bombs are reportedly assigned for delivery by U.S. pilots, and forty are assigned for delivery by the Turkish Air Force. However, no permanent nuclear-capable U.S. fighter wing is based at Incirlik, and the Turkish Air Force is reportedly not certified for NATO nuclear missions, meaning nuclear-capable F-16s from other U.S. bases would need to be brought in if Turkey's bombs were ever needed.

The status of U.S. nuclear weapons in Turkey

SNAFU.

Situation

Normal

ALL

EFFED

Up.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
IF, and that is still an if, there is some kind of situation at the air base it isn't to get a hold of nuclear weapons it is to get a hold of those responsible for the coup last night. The power was probably cut off to try and deter further action and support on the side of the conspirators not to try and have any kind of effect on US personnel, equipment and operations. You also need to remember there is more than 1500 US personnel on site. That is a considerable force to contend with. I doubt there are going to be any nuclear bombs coming down your chimney anytime soon

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Well it seems that everything is peachy, US is in not imminent thread from nuclear attacks and the base is self-sufficient without electricity.

So the coup is been "squashed" and the government in charge, I guess is nothing to see anymore.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

That no fly zone is BULL SNIP.

Sounds like Erodgan wants those nukes, and making sure they don't go anywhere.

As already pointed out that fissil material can be used for dirty bombs.

Highly prized by the likes of ISIS.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

I agree...somewhat.

In the maelstrom of an attack many things can go missing. Personal diaries, pieces of paper, open terminals can be used,

Just sayin'

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Highly doubtful anyone at the base would have had anything to do with the attempted coup proper or for providing support.

A 'push' on the base might have an adverse affect on air operations. I'd say that would be the principal reason (if there's been any attack at all). A strategic reason would be to go for the nukes ... but, I don't think it would be Erdogan going for 'em. I think he's already got some (enough) nested away. Probably has had 'em since back in the '80s.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl
The Turkish government cut the power to the base..

"The US is behind the coup attempt"
A Turkish government minister has accused the United States of planning Friday night’s failed attempt to overthrow Turkey’s government
www.israelnationalnews.com...
sputniknews.com...
Coincidence

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

Ok Turkey just went full retard if this is true......

RIP Turkey......if the USA doesnt arse woop you the Russians will F you up when your kicked out of NATO.

link   

Turkish aircraft are stationed at the base as well as US forces. At least one Turkish KC-135 was reported to have been involved, as well as several Turkish F-16s.

link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Heres a link from the us embassy in turkey, with a statement ;

turkey.usembassy.gov...

And

travel.state.gov...

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Yeah but like I said there is the small matter of 1500 US personnel on site. It isn't just a case of blowing down the front gate and throwing some ordinance in the back of a truck.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Wouldn't NATO planes have flew out with the warheads as soon as the government was attacked?

They'd HAVE to, unless putting nukes into ISIS hands were some sort of objective?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It depends on how bad the situation gets. They can protect them if things don't get bad. If things get bad they fly them out.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Turkish aircraft are stationed at the base as well as US forces. At least one Turkish KC-135 was reported to have been involved, as well as several Turkish F-16s.

Flying out of Incirlik? Or from a Turkish base? They've quite a bit of operating range.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join