It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stryker/MRAP vehicles in Central Square, NY???????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Central Square is about 15 miles north of Syracuse off I-81.

At about 2:30 this afternoon I was leaving the Central Square Walmart, which is off County Route 49 near the I-81 S/N onramps. I was crossing Rt 49 on my way to another store when I looked to my left and saw a short convoy of military vehicles. These things were HUGE.

I don't know what the first vehicle was - humvee, maybe? - and it had a large "oversize" sign on its front. It was followed by three vehicles that appeared to be MRAPs. At least one or two soldiers on top of each vehicle in full gear. Two more "MRAPs" followed shortly thereafter.

The "MRAPs" or whatever they were also had "oversize" signs on the front.

Anyway, they were headed west on Rt 49 as if they were going through the main part of the village. But they made a left-hand turn near the shopping center I was headed towards & turned around in an empty parking lot. After that they went back in the direction from where they came.

I don't know where the convoy was going but it appeared to be headed towards Fort Drum via I-81N.

I have no idea where it came from. If it had gotten off I-81 N at the Central Square exit then it most likely originated in/near Syracuse. I-81N is three lanes up through the Central Square exit, then it goes down to two lanes. Before I moved here I remember staying in the right-hand lane and planned on going further north but didn't switch lanes in time. I had to get back onto I-81N not far from that point.

If this convoy was headed towards Ft. Drum (and got off I-81 N early) it could have just crossed Rt 49 and gotten back onto the highway. The onramps for I-81N & S are across the road from each other. No turning is necessary. I mean, this convoy was almost at Wally World when it went back in the opposite direction.

These vehicles (except for the first one) all had eight wheels. I wish I could have taken pictures but couldn't get my cell phone turned on soon enough. I was in my powerchair and had to finish crossing the road before the light changed.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia article on Stryker IAV's. The first picture is the closest I could find to what I saw today.

Wikipedia report on Stryker IAV's

What are they doing? Thoughts, anyone? Tx!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I can't know for sure but i live next to JBLM in Tacoma Washington and i can tell you that especially in the summer time the units like to go out on maneuvers that require a lot of gear.

The interstate roads were originally for making troop movements around America easier if the need to defend against invasion should ever arise.

Keep a sharp eye out but i wouldn't give it too much thought.

edit on 07Sat, 16 Jul 2016 16:05:21 -0500420167America/Chicago by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Driver training, convoy training, sightseeing. When I was in, when giving new drivers their road miles, one could drive pretty much anywhere the guy in charge wanted to go.

Like Outback Steakhouse. For curbside take away. Maybe.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

There have been photos of a humvee with a soldier on a .50 cal mount going through McDonald's drive through for a while. I suspect it's not as uncommon as most people think and start wild conspiracy theories about troop movements.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: misterhistory

Travel on public roads isn't uncommon for us, no. But judging by the looks we got every time, I would say it's pretty uncommon for the average person.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

originally posted by: dianajune

Wikipedia report on Stryker IAV's

What are they doing? Thoughts, anyone? Tx!

Probably on their way to round up ATS-ers.

Either that or their GPS is busted.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Travel on public roads isn't uncommon for us, no. But judging by the looks we got every time, I would say it's pretty uncommon for the average person.

Funny memories.

People in Asia ... they didn't give us a second thought.
People in Europe ... hated us or loved getting paid for maneuver damage.
People in America ... they always looked nervous.

Go figure.

As for it being uncommon. When you're in a convoy, you're in there from start to finish. The people on the road only see you briefly as they pass. I'd say sighting a military convoy is very very uncommon ... even if you live near a military installation.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm not even near a military base, can't even count how many times I've seen military vehicles driving around the county, loads of military transport helicopters in and out of the regional airport, and a few fighters but not for some time. Hardly even bat an eye when I see them.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Stryker and MRAP are very different. MRAP has a V shaped hull for deflecting the shock wave of an IED or bomb. Stryker does not have the V shaped hull. Always want to be in an MRAP if you have a choice. People have survived bombs of over 1,000 lbs in an MRAP. A few hundred pounds does nothing but maybe flip it over. Best vehicle to be in though is a Huskly. Almost impossible for any bomb to destroy it since it breaks apart easily so the shock wave is marginalized. Huskies are designed to break and it can easily be repaired with parts.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Driver training, convoy training, sightseeing. When I was in, when giving new drivers their road miles, one could drive pretty much anywhere the guy in charge wanted to go.

We flew our Hawks to every FBO withing the 250 mile authorized radius just to get decent burgers and BBQ.

Also it was training.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mrgone
I can't know for sure but i live next to JBLM in Tacoma Washington and i can tell you that especially in the summer time the units like to go out on maneuvers that require a lot of gear.

The interstate roads were originally for making troop movements around America easier if the need to defend against invasion should ever arise.

Keep a sharp eye out but i wouldn't give it too much thought.

I'm not overly concerned, just curious. They seemed so out of place....especially near Wally World!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I've seen many convoys over the years. Nothing unusual there. And when I used to live in Pulaski, NY (even further north) it wasn't unusual to see large shipments of military vehicles by train to/from Fort Drum. I lived very close to the railroad tracks in the middle of that town.

Mraps or whatever these things were, on the other hand, that I haven't seen at all. Except on the news in Ferguson, MO.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

We flew our Hawks to every FBO withing the 250 mile authorized radius just to get decent burgers and BBQ.

Also it was training.

I see blackhawks quite often stopping at my little FBO (3500' runway and all).

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
There's a Top Gear for everything

edit on 18-7-2016 by FlyingFox because: freedom

top topics

join