It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did Obama administration reveal the name of a CIA officer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I was researching some information about the Dallas shooter. A dot I was following took me to the New York Times' article from 2014 when Barack Obama paid a surprise visit to Bagram Air Base.

I can't believe I don't remember this incident! By 2014, Obama had been in power six years! I remember when the Valerie Plame incident cast a dark shadow on the Bush administration...but, for some reason, the Obama "mistake" (wink wink) wasn't blown up like that.

Mr. Obama’s trip was shrouded in the usual secrecy. But after he arrived in Afghanistan, White House officials broke with longstanding national security protocol by revealing to reporters the name of the top Central Intelligence Agency officer in Afghanistan.
www.nytimes.com...

Subsequent articles describe it as a mistake, an accident, a blunder. But, WTH!?

BTW, I was looking for a picture...I got sidetracked after reading the above. (After speaking at Bagram Air Base on Sunday, President Obama told the troops that he would pose for pictures with anyone who wanted one. The New York Times)

edit on 16-7-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

It doesn't appear to be President Obama who revealed the name, it was "White House officials". Obama can claim culpable deniability. Wink wink.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

The name was passed on to thousands of reporters in a written pool report sent by a reporter traveling with the president. The pool report listed 16 people who participated in a military and diplomatic briefing with Mr. Obama, including one name that was identified as “chief of station.”

just point out for us why this is mr obamas fault ?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Number one... Afghanistan is a war zone. The White House gave this information out to a member of the press without scrubbing it for sensitive information.

Number two...That list was distributed again!...to the entire press corps.

Number three...The list that followed after the name was removed was tantamount to highlighting it in bright yellow.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I edited it to show it was the Obama administration....not necessarily him personally. But, still the reporter copied and pasted the list and sent it back to the White House, which then distributed it to the wider press.

Mistake? Accident? I don't think so. Just my opinion though.

Of course, the CIA station chief was "sent home".

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Seems to me the Bush Administration, (CHENEY) did it for malicious reasons.

O'bummer made a mistake.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Or maybe the bush administration outed Valerie plame in an attempt to remove her.maybe Valerie plame was complicit somehow in making up evidence of weapons of mass destruction to set bushes administration up for a wrong action. Then when she was outEd her story changed to make Cheney bush look bad.

My point is that the Obama administration perhaps just wanted to remove the station chief and so leaked the name "inadvertently"

a reply to: ugmold

edit on 16-7-2016 by sjorges2002 because: Plame not station chief

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: sjorges2002
Or maybe the bush administration outed Valerie plame in an attempt to remove her as station chief.maybe Valerie plame was complicit somehow in making up evidence of weapons of mass destruction to set bushes administration up for a wrong action. Then when she was outEd her story changed to make Cheney bush look bad.

My point is that the Obama administration perhaps just wanted to remove the station chief and so leaked the name "inadvertently"

Interesting. Why would he want to remove the station chief and where do you think he "removed" him to?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

My guess is that when a cia officer is outed publicly they can no longer do their job- and are sent home and replaced. All obamas people had to do is "mistakenly" release the name to force cia to act protectively.

Speculating, I think this has something to do with the info Russia has re: Hillary and servergate.

If connected we can add it to the Three or four things that have happened since servergate that i am aware of:
1. Day after nato/ Poland meet fbi says guccifer got nothing. The subtext to my mind is that Putin (in telephone conference with Obama) agreed not to release data in exchange for US cooperation. I believe this fbi statement to be false.
2. We are turning a blind eye to trade deals that Russia is setting up with other govts- eg Italy. Though we cannot officially lift sanctions Obama admin is not aggressively enforcing them either.
3. We have flip flopped on Syria and are now supporting the Russian agenda re: Assad. Kerry had a meet with Putin in Moscow recently.
4. Failed Turkish coup- which may have something to do with disagreements among Turkish elites about the status of their alliance with the US in light of the Obama admins recent cooperation with Russia.

edit on 16-7-2016 by sjorges2002 because: To elaborate

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: sjorges2002

Valerie Plame was not a Chief of Station.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Thanks!
I fixed it

a reply to: desert

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
just point out for us why this is mr obamas fault ?

Well obviously some people want to blame President Obama for everything!

If it rains, Obama's fault.
If it doesn't rain, Obama's fault.
anything that happens anywhere in the world, at anytime.... Obama's fault.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
From Valerie Plame herself

In her case, she said, revealing her identity was “retribution for my husband…a warning shot.” Plame’s husband, former ambassador Joe Wilson, had questioned the evidence cited by the administration that Iraq was acquiring nuclear capability. What happened on Sunday, when the manifest of names was released to the press, was “just foolish,” Plame said. “The right is making a false equivalency that is misplaced.”

and

“It was colossally stupid,” Plame said at a panel organized by The Atlantic, “but it was a mistake.” It was not the White House that outed America’s top spy in Afghanistan, she said, but a military aide who included the CIA operative’s name in a list of people greeting President Obama in Kabul on Sunday. The president’s trip was undertaken with great secrecy, she said, and kept a surprise. “I’m sure everyone was breathless,” she added, noting that the White House had launched an investigation. “And they’ll find someone who’s really embarrassed at the end of it,” she predicted, “the crucial distinction being intent.”

Plame's words

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Wow! It seems like someone was ...wait for it....

'extremely careless'!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Or maybe the bush administration outed Valerie plame in an attempt to remove her as station chief.maybe Valerie plame was complicit somehow in making up evidence of weapons of mass destruction to set bushes administration up for a wrong action. Then when she was outEd her story changed to make Cheney bush look bad.

Interesting. Why would he want to remove the station chief and where do you think he "removed" him to?

Perhaps for his Safety after the slip. I honestly don't know or care enough about this. What I do know is Dick Cheney is an American Traitor.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
If true, I wonder if that military aid is going to be subject to UCMJ or other legal action. Based on my experience in the military intent doesn't matter at all when "mistakes" are made.

reply to: desert

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

originally posted by: queenofswords

Perhaps for his Safety after the slip. I honestly don't know or care enough about this. What I do know is Dick Cheney is an American Traitor.

Start another thread?

I remember that happened now, too.

It's amazing what this administration can get away with.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

Seems to me the Bush Administration, (CHENEY) did it for malicious reasons.

O'bummer made a mistake.

But of course, everyone knows Republicans do things for malicious reasons and the angelic Democrats only make mistakes. Like how that evil Nixon used the IRS to target his political enemies, that was like the most worst evil thing ever. But when Obama admin officials used the IRS to target Tea Party groups in an election cycle, it was just a simple mistake, an error, and nobody lost a job.

Amazing huh?

new topics

top topics

join