It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're cruising in the left lane, a car comes up behind you honking & flashing their lights...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

So how would the other person know you were in labour? How would they know your situation was so critical?

To them you could have been what I assume they saw : someone tailgating them, flashing them and driving at speed.

I can understand why he probably thought, get stuffed if you're going to endanger people on the road, so I see why they didn't react as you wanted. I'm not saying it's right. But you assume way too much.

You should have undertook them far earlier - you shouldnt have flashed your lights. I would have taken that as aggressive.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

People drive crazy all the time in this area (PP from Dallas can confirm- I'm not far from Dallas) but I can't say I've ever seen anyone honk and flash. I would assume that meant emergency. And I used a series of short horn blasts, not the long rude 'angry' blast.

But even when the cars wouldn't move I never tailgated. THAT is dangerous. (never cut anyone off either, always AT LEAST 2 car lengths) I was forced to just patiently wait for an opening. Some dude in a big black truck tailgated ME after I finally managed to get past him. At least I had a reason for going over the speed limit a bit. What's his excuse for getting all road rage-y and chasing me down for doing nothing more than passing him?

Hell, I even used my turn signal when changing lanes. A lot of people don't bother to do that on a regular day! Lol!

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I see what you're saying, but here in the UK, when I'm already doing 90mph in the fast lane, and someone comes up behind me very quick -- and the middle and slower lanes are *really* slow - I'm not moving over. I'm already doing 20 over the limit and I'm not dropping from 90 to 60. Unless it's obviously emergency vehicles or police - which at that point and at that speed I'm fuct anyway!

But *if* someone appeared to be tailgating and flashing me at that speed? Probably the cro-magnon stubborn part of my brain would kick in and I'd be a dick about it. Sorry to say. Unless there was a visual cue i could see.

Again, not saying it's right - I'm just being honest. *IF* i knew it was a pregnant lady, of course I'd move over. But again, how am I to know this? Or the other person?

Anyhow, all that said - glad everything worked out fine.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie

People drive crazy all the time in this area (PP from Dallas can confirm- I'm not far from Dallas) but I can't say I've ever seen anyone honk and flash. I would assume that meant emergency. And I used a series of short horn blasts, not the long rude 'angry' blast.

But even when the cars wouldn't move I never tailgated. THAT is dangerous. (never cut anyone off either, always AT LEAST 2 car lengths) I was forced to just patiently wait for an opening. Some dude in a big black truck tailgated ME after I finally managed to get past him. At least I had a reason for going over the speed limit a bit. What's his excuse for getting all road rage-y and chasing me down for doing nothing more than passing him?

Hell, I even used my turn signal when changing lanes. A lot of people don't bother to do that on a regular day! Lol!

The main thing though is that bubby & mum are safe

Å99

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Or let a pregnant mother pass...
edit on 7/17/2016 by Brainiac because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/17/2016 by Brainiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Call an ambulance next time?
It pisses me off when someone is flashing me and/or honking as I am usually doing 10 to 15mph over the speed limit anyways...If you don't want to be behind me, YOU go around.
Congrats btw...

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It is illegal to drive in the left"passing" lane unless you are passing other cars. Period. Some people do not know this because they are ignorant of the law. One jerk I worked with told me he intentionally drove in the left lane at 65 to keep other drivers from speeding because he didnt like speeders. So he would intentionally drive there to piss people off. I said he was an @$$£0/=.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

That was what was crazy. No one was doing 90 in the left lane (out of 3 lanes) they were cruising at about the speed limit (70). But when I came up behind them, they'd casually continue on, I'd honk & flash (no tailgate) and they'd just ignore me. But if I tried to pass on the right THEN they'd speed up! There was 2 or 3 cars that I swear were racing me. Even after I exited one highway and got on to another (I guess they had the same route) those same cars were going nuts trying to stay ahead of me! It's not a competition guys.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Maybe don't wait so long to leave for the hospital so no one has to drive like that while pregnant? Sorry we didn't get the memo it was "all about you" day.

Congratulations!!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Aww!! What an adorable baby!! Congrats!

And, I 100% agree with you about a-holes in the left lane. It drives me bonkers! Just GET OVER, nimrod!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

Maybe don't wait so long to leave for the hospital so no one has to drive like that while pregnant? Sorry we didn't get the memo it was "all about you" day.

Congratulations!!

Slightly more dense than racing around in traffic by ones self while in labor, is the I didn't prepare for this moment ahead of time. Now there could be three people racing to the hospital... in the back of ambulances from the crash scene.
edit on 18-7-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
To those who like to think they are driving a pace car:

Maybe just mind your own business on the road, unless you are employed as a police officer or are witnessing a felony you have no legal right whatsoever to interfere with other people on the road. Doing so, is in fact, illegal.

Another thing to think about, is that is someone is driving crazy, do you seriously think annoying them with your slow driving is the correct way to remedy the situation? You are creating additional hazard as the person is trying to pass you. You are adding to the problem, not fixing it.

To go a bit further, your car is not bullet proof, and your feel-good antics might get your shot by someone who honestly doesn't have much to loose and is at their wit's end.

But of course logic is always lost on the busybodies of the world, congrats OP on your new child! Hopefully that slow driver sees your post and feels a fool

edit on 18-7-2016 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

A couple of years ago I was driving and was stopped at a VERY busy
intersection in the LEFT turn lane.I remember looking in my rear view
mirror and saw an ambulance in the lane next to me a few cars back.
He was not flashing his lights or his siren.
All of a sudden he was behind me flashing his lights and blaring his siren.
I was FORCED into driving into the intersection so he could pass me.
Immediately after he cleared the intersection*,he turned off his flashing
lights and his siren.There I was stuck nearly in the middle so he could
get through the traffic.I couldn't turn because of the traffic and had to
wait until the light changed.

* I wasn't completely in the intersection but I was in a very dangerous spot.

Congratulations on your new baby.

I can completely understand the awkwardness/ uncomfortbale situation you were forced into. Believe me, they appreciated what you did. And unless it was a VERY remote chance they were abusing their powers, they likely were dispatched to a call only to be then called off of it as either a closer crew took it or it was cancelled. Its happened to me more than once. Believe me its somewhat embarrasing for the crew as well. We know that everyone is saying "WTF?". You did everthing right. To be honest, if it would have left you in the middle of an intersection, dangerously, I doubt any cop would say anything if you followed the ambulance out of the intersection. But in all reality Im sure everyone knew what was going on at that situation, and other drivers should give you the right if way after the ambulance clears the intersection. Thanks for being an alert motorist.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
While I agree about the driving methods of others on multi lane roads and highways, i can't say you made the best decision to drive yourself to a hospital in that situation.

Consider your vehicle to be as dangerous as any weapon. And in any situatii that adrenaline is being pumped through your body, you may not be as focused as you should be.

Please call an ambulance in any emergency.

Impending birth is absolutly an emergency. There is about to be TWO patients!

While I'm over the moon for you and your family that everthing went well, labor can get complicated FAST, without warning.

Congratulations though! You brought a beautiful person into this world.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Slightly more dense than racing around in traffic by ones self while in labor, is the I didn't prepare for this moment ahead of time. Now there could be three people racing to the hospital... in the back of ambulances from the crash scene.

I had a c-section scheduled for the 7th. My water broke on the 2nd. I prepared. She came early.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I get that an ambulance would have been preferable, but:
1. I had my other 2 kids with me that had to get to a sitter- which an ambulance would not do for me
2. The hospital I was pre-registered with was further away- which an ambulance would not take me to
3. The doctor needed to do another procedure while I was open for the c-section and all the consents were already on file, some random doctor who knew nothing about my medical history would not have done it. So I HAD to go to the hospital that was further away or I would be facing ANOTHER surgery down the road when it all could be done at once.

Both of my others I was in labor for 13 hours before c-sections were done, so even though I was in labor I was fairly certain I had plenty of time.

I agree that someone else should have driven, but when there's no one else you do what you have to do.

Thanks for the congrats!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I see, sorry. I didn't know how you had it planned.

Nobody was available to drive you either? I think it was kinda risky, I am glad you made it. Baby looks wonderful.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
My two cents:

Negativity is a very powerful thing. I find it disturbing that you would first post about "bad" driving habits before you get to the good news of a new baby.
Also, driving laws that directly contradict each other have no business existing in the law books of any state. You CAN NOT speed, no matter what lane your in. Thats what the speed limit is for. Thats why years of research has been done on lethal versus non-lethal accidents, and why car companies build vehicles a certain way. There should be no such thing as a speeding lane for people that want to circumvent the law, and a law should have never been passed to allow this. If you want to die, then speed. You are at liberty to face that consequence of your own actions. I am sure your baby will thank you for it in heaven.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The driver you were flashing your lights at was on his cell phone. Here's the kicker. He was talking to his best friend because his friend was going to commit suicide if someone didn't keep him on the line. Also, he had his wife, who was in labor, on call waiting. She was driving herself to the hospital while honking and flashing the brights at this guy who was blocking the left lane. Funny thing is, that guy was on his cell phone talking to his best friend because his friend wanted to commit suicide...

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allenb83
My two cents:

Negativity is a very powerful thing. I find it disturbing that you would first post about "bad" driving habits before you get to the good news of a new baby.
Also, driving laws that directly contradict each other have no business existing in the law books of any state. You CAN NOT speed, no matter what lane your in. Thats what the speed limit is for. Thats why years of research has been done on lethal versus non-lethal accidents, and why car companies build vehicles a certain way. There should be no such thing as a speeding lane for people that want to circumvent the law, and a law should have never been passed to allow this. If you want to die, then speed. You are at liberty to face that consequence of your own actions. I am sure your baby will thank you for it in heaven.

Correct, correct and correct

What I find most disturbing is the sheer 3-eyes blind to all and any research that is readily available - common sense that tells you 2 stationary vehicles facing head on travelling at 0 kph will elicit no accident - introduce speed, and exponentially as the speed increases the risk of an accident increases, until fatality is virtually unavoidable.

Road engineering has definitely not kept pace with vehicle development, and laws that blantantly contradict not only each other, but safety statistics are a recipe for continued levels of accidents as they stand worldwide...which is what the data shows. The human element is a volatile ingredient, but the common denominator in all accidents is speed. Trajic fatalities do not happen in carparks, the reason is as plain as the nose on your face. Stationary vehicles (bereft of speed) do not collide.

The social contract that is tacitly agreed to does not take into account human emotions and psychological states, and drivers are responsible for thier own levels of frustration (as frustrating as slow drivers may be - but, they could be your parents, siblings, a pregnant mother-to-be)...

Limits have a reason, it is illegal because it is unsafe (speed differentials is a matter for law enforcement to administer to and road engineers to solve)...

Fortunately (and I'm sure OP did not intend this thread to be as controversial as it has been) baby and mum are safe despite a slow driver.

Å99

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join