It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daddy...Where does God come from?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
One of my biggest problems with religion is that, the "god/gods" seemingly appear out of no where. Even in the bible (going on memory here), it says that everything has a creator. Where is gods creator...?

To me his creator is no more then man's imagination. And too say, "your feable mortal mind cannot possibly comprehend god's blah blah blah"...cop out.

Sure, the universe is huge, and alot of things are un-explained, but how does that explain a higher power? Just explains how much we don't know, still beleiving in fairytales.

Anyways, how did god get there? I guess he is just god, just popped into existence 1 day. The universe never existed...and in the void, god just popped up from no where.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
There is no answer to that question.

That is what religion is all about.

Some things you just have to take on "faith"...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
You may find this explanation satisfying unless it’s an answer you will not accept.

To us, the notion of time is linear. One second follows the next, one minute is after another. We get older, not younger and we cannot repeat the minutes that have passed us by. We have all seen the time lines on charts: early time is on the left and later time is on the right. We see nations, people's lives, and plans mapped out on straight lines from left to right. We see a beginning and an end. But God is "beyond the chart." He has no beginning or end. He simply has always been.

Also, physics has shown that time is a property that is the result of the existence of matter. Time exists when matter exists. Time has even been called the fourth dimension. But God is not matter. In fact, God created matter. He created the universe. So, time began when God created the universe. Before that, God was simply existing and time had no meaning (except conceptually), no relation to Him. Therefore, to ask where God came from is to ask a question that cannot really be applied to God in the first place. Because time has no meaning with God in relation to who He is, eternity is also not something that can be absolutely related to God. God is even beyond eternity.

www.carm.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It is impossible for a God who exists outside of time to create anything. In order to create something, there must be time. How long did it take for God to think about it? Create it? It makes no sense.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alec Eiffel
It is impossible for a God who exists outside of time to create anything. In order to create something, there must be time. How long did it take for God to think about it? Create it? It makes no sense.

You are thinking about it from our perspective. For all we know, this creation is a never ending process and is never really finished; just constantly evolving. This life we have may just be one of an infinite scenarios being played out. Possibly, we will take part in other creations that vary greatly from how things are here.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
There are many questions that can be applied to religion, or the existance of a God. Just because one of these questions has no known answer, does that make the whole thing a lie, or all imagination? Of course not. I beleive there are things in the Bible that are put there just to create questions... Questions that we cant answer.
That way its figured out who has faith and who doesnt. Questions like this always come back to that quite meaningful word... "Faith."

You see, i beleive that if there was an answer to every question we had about God, and the Bible, then that would mean that it would be a fact that its true, and thats the way it REALLY is. Therefore people would have to be absolute idiots to NOT beleive, thus causing just about everyone to beleive.
Doing this would mean that just about everyone is rewarded with the kingdom of God when they die. So then it would no longer be the true beleivers who really had faith, and are really good people. It would be everyone.

So, i beleive that the fact that there arent answers to some questions like this are really good. I hope this made sense.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I believe in the Evolution theory over the Creation theory, but there's no evidence of where the beginning 'creator' came from so it leaves the questions; who created God and where did the matter come from that started the Big Bang.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

You are thinking about it from our perspective. For all we know, this creation is a never ending process and is never really finished; just constantly evolving. This life we have may just be one of an infinite scenarios being played out. Possibly, we will take part in other creations that vary greatly from how things are here.

Maybe, but time still exists. You can still measure the distance between point A and point B on an infinite line. God creating the universe is an event, am I right? Time is used to measure the distance between events. If there are no events, then nothing can be done, its a static neverending nothing-ness. Nothing can possibly be done if time doesnt exist.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If you believe in Aristotle's theory of the "Primum mobile", the Creating Principle is so removed from its creation that even the laws of space of time don't apply to it anymore... a neat little theory that solved many thological problems in the past.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Ah, God questions almost always rely on "faith"... what's faith anyway ? some kind of blind acceptance it seems. If you want to believe in something but have no proof, you just say it requires "faith".

I have a theory that in 2000 years time, everyone will have forgotten about the Jesus character and moved on to Harry Potter.
I can see the headlines now; "Harry is the saviour" "Harry our lord" etc.

Fair enough Harry doesn't do many miracles, by when it comes to flying on broomsticks and casting the odd spell here and there... well Harry is the man. AND his life is chronicled in several books rather than just one (you know that fairy story called the Bible). Go Harry.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Maybe, but time still exists. You can still measure the distance between point A and point B on an infinite line. God creating the universe is an event, am I right? Time is used to measure the distance between events. If there are no events, then nothing can be done, its a static neverending nothing-ness. Nothing can possibly be done if time doesnt exist.

True, but what if what you are measuring (the creation) is an eternal event for God, but constrained only to time by our perceptions? See what I am saying? Time is relative to an event, and when that event has no measure, then it becomes an irrational number, like pi. I see what you are saying, but you still are using time as a unit, because that is what we are familiar with. It is based on percieved motion of things happening (like the earth spinning on its axis). God even says he made the times and seasons so we could measure events. In an eternal world, everything can happen at once and also be happening eternally. It doesn't seem logical, but no one said God makes sense.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
how do you explain where the universe came from?

Hm...yeah, you run into the same problem. So what's the difference?

God's job is not to explain himself, it's to help us. Do you want help with eternity or do you not? Take it or leave it, that's the only offer on the table at this time. Later on though, the answer is promised to those who believe. What does 'not believing' promise? Absolutely nothing.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BLiND_
One of my biggest problems with religion is that, the "god/gods" seemingly appear out of no where. Even in the bible (going on memory here), it says that everything has a creator. Where is gods creator...?

* you answered yourself...the word everything ...the conception of creator(God) is outside/removed from the cosmos of
thing or substance

To me his creator is no more then man's imagination. And too say, "your feable mortal mind cannot possibly comprehend god's blah blah blah"...cop out.

* i think the God realm was the first social edition of 'Dungeons & Dragons'...which evolved from animism & superstition etc

Sure, the universe is huge, and alot of things are un-explained, but how does that explain a higher power? Just explains how much we don't know, still beleiving in fairytales.

* that 'higher-power' include the ideas called Mystery-Paradox-Infinite-Eternal-Love etc

Anyways, how did god get there? I guess he is just god, just popped into existence 1 day. The universe never existed...and in the void, god just popped up from no where.

* there is a material universe counterpart called the Heisenberg Uncertainy Principle, where sub-atomic particles pop in & out of existence

& for each counter-point above
a counter-counter-point may be decisively made
that is the nebulous realm of religion faith beliefs myth spirits Gods etc
~~

AUM

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
how do you explain where the universe came from?

Hm...yeah, you run into the same problem. So what's the difference?
[edit on 19-1-2005 by saint4God]

The difference is that I know the universe exists now, so believing it always existed is easier than believing that "God" always existed. God has existed for a few thousand years give or take, not "eternally."

Are you saying we should believe so that we can get some kind of reward, a fulfilled promise? Sounds like a bribe to me.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ikku
God has existed for a few thousand years give or take, not "eternally."

Says who?

Originally posted by Ikku
Are you saying we should believe so that we can get some kind of reward, a fulfilled promise? Sounds like a bribe to me.

I never heard it put quite that way, but okay. I'll buy that, here's why:

2 Timothy 4:8 - "Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will reward to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."

Ephesians 6:8 "Because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free."

Matt 6:1 - "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

Matt 6:4 - "So that giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Revelation 22:12 - "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done."

Okay okay I'll stop... Sorry I get on a roll and then... Hey! I'm a Holy Roller
! How about that!

[edit on 20-1-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

If you believe in Aristotle's theory of the "Primum mobile", the Creating Principle is so removed from its creation that even the laws of space of time don't apply to it anymore... a neat little theory that solved many thological problems in the past.

Plato's definition of God always tickled my fancy: God does not concern himself with worldy affairs; he is simply intoxicated in his own being, in his own thought, God is simply Pure thought. However, Aristotles logica sounds too ontological for my tastes and I'm quite privy in regards to ontology - anything can be explained with such logic.

Deep

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

to people such as yourself i reply it took infinite time and 0 time all at the same time before the universe was created. Picture a movie where time is stopped but the person can move around. No time is passing, but they could count out 5 seconds. Think of a coordinate plane, you have the x-axis the real numbers and the y-axis, the imaginary numbers. The time that it took before the universe was created was the y-axis... imaginary time, non-existant.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
God didnt have a beginning. He always was and always shall be. He is the creater. He lives ouside this universe and is not bound by its laws for He created those laws. I hope that explains it for u

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
But Croat and other that explanation doesn't make sense. it has no basis in any facts.Its no different from saying that im king of funky town. theres no proof no nothing.you're just making up stuff up to explain god. how hes not like all other matter. Please dont flame me, im only 13, and it makes me cry

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
One thing that confuses me is that God created light on the third day or something like that. But if a 'day' is measured in terms of the Earth rotating on its axis, thus creating intervals of night and day by facing the sun then facing away from it, how long were the first and second days?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join