It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study of Tongues in the New Testament

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecroft
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Originally posted by ChesterJohn
There is as many as 5,000 tongues (languages) in the world today.
What my outline does is show how they are used and what types it is sign gift tongues-needs no interpretation as it is understood by the hearer, spiritual gift tongues needs an interpretation, and selfish use unknown tongues has not interpretation.

I don’t mean how many languages there are out there…like 5000 or whatever…And I don't mean how many usages (although that does kinda come into it) like 3,4 or 5 etc…

I mean there’s 2 specific types of “Speaking” tongue gifts (3 if you include interpretation of tongues) that are being outlined in 1 Corinthians Chapters 12, 13 and 14…

One is to be able to miraculously speak other known languages, presumably never learnt before; This is considered by some to have past away, as was only used to spread Gods word, in the beginning…

The 2nd is the gift of tongues, where one is praying to God directly in an unknown (angelic) language (no language speaker (of any type) can understand it)…this is meant to be direct prayer to God…which edifies the individual…

But people with the gift of interpretation of tongues, can supposedly decode this unknown language…this interpretation is considered a prophetic word, which in turn edifies the whole church…

- JC

There are NO more prophetic words to be told. It's all been foretold in the written word. A believer can piece together current events but there is no more prophecy, no more prophets. Unfortunately as a young-in I attended one of those "tongue" churches. It was a circus, people jumping benches, women laying in the floor with their dress out of place exposing their undergarments. People babbling "prophesying that so and so is gonna die and they need to get right with God. It's absolute fanatical hogwash.

(post by Shahada removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Shahada

Irenaeus was a great early church father who wrote about the first heresies of the Christian faith, besides what Paul, Peter and John wrote about. Him along with Polycarp, Tertuillian, and Clement.

Oh, and that's Clement of Rome btw, Peter's direct disciple, Clement of Alexandria was a Gnostic. It was in Alexandria where they were deleting scripture verses they didn't like, it was there and in the Alexandrian MSS that large portions of the Bible were expurgated. Just one example is the last 12 verses of Mark, missing from the Alexandrian MSS.

Irenaeus was warning 3rd century Christians that Valenteus and Marcion were shortening the scriptures, I.E. deleting portions that didn't align with their Gnostic doctrines. It's a damnable thing to do as the book of Revelation warns.

edit on 7 17 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

"Call no man on earth your father...one Father in Heaven."

Iranaeus thought Jesus was 50 when he died and "great" is at the bottom of the list of things he was.

Clement of Alexandria and the early Roman Clement are 2 of the only good Church leaders. And they were not anti Apocrypha.

Most Apocrypha is Clementine and pseudo-Clementine (of Rome) and you read the writings of garbage Iranaeus but not scripture because of the Catholic Church telling you what is acceptable?

Weird. Are you Catholic? But you are retro to... when do you consider the Catholic Church no longer the real Church?

When it is convenient, of course. I bet you call them Babylon today. They have been since Constantine dude.
edit on 17-7-2016 by Shahada because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I think my ability to be good with tongues is in the form of a good eye for etymological links and an ability to find when it is good to go back to Hebrew or Greek for the NT.

But I understand the language the Spirit speaks to me and She is my Advocate and Comforter who guides me to truth, wisdom and understanding.

That is the Tongue that I am concerned with. The Tongue of Wisdom. The Spirit has freed me from fear.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

No, Irenaeus didn't teach Jesus was 50 when He died, that is a misquote. Irenaeus was speaking in a general sense that a man is considered old at 40 and onward, that a man in his 30s is still young. Then marvels that Jesus had the wisdom of an old man at an early age.

Irenaeus's actual comment:

So, likewise, he was an old man for old men … Now, that the first stage of early life embraces thirty years, and that this extends onwards to the fortieth year, every one will admit; but from the fortieth and fiftieth year a man begins to decline towards old age, which our Lord possessed while he still fulfilled the office of a teacher … those who were conversant in Asia with John, the disciple of the Lord [affirming] that John conveyed to them that information. … Some of them [i.e., those who teach this, PS], moreover, saw not only John, but the other apostles also, and heard the very same account from them, and bear testimony as to the [validity of] the statement. (Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 2:22:4-6)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Roman Catholicism didn't exist when Irenaeus was alive. That came after, Christianity wasn't even the State religion of the Roman Empire until the Edict of Thesselonica by Theodosius I in either 380 or 390 AD, I don't recal the exact date off hand.

Edit to add:

It was in 380 AD that Christianity was made the religion of the Roman Empire.

"The Edict of Thessalonica, also known as Cunctos populos, was issued on 27 February 380 AD. It ordered all subjects of the Roman Empire to profess the faith of the bishops of Rome and Alexandria, making Nicene Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire."

Edict of Thessolinica
edit on 7 17 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
2 Samuel 23:2

The Spirit of the lord speaks through me, his Word is upon my tongue.

You need not be a prophet to listen to the Spirit. You won't be speaking for God but with the Spirit in you your tongue will be tame but not silenced. Although silence is the gollden tongue.

Job 5:21

You shall be hidden from the scourge of the tongue , and shall not fear destruction when it comes.

Job 6:30

Is there any wrong on my tongue?

Job 20:16

They will suck the poison of asps; the tongue of a viper will kill them.

Job 27:4

my lips will not speak falsehood, and my tongue will not utter deceit.

I feel all of these have Gospel relevance and some to be prophetic.

(post by Shahada removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shahada

Yes he did and I am done with this conversation.

I just showed his actual quote, he didn't teach that, read the quote.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

No, you found an edited version or edited it.

Seriously done with you. Iranaeus is a steaming pile of corruption.
edit on 17-7-2016 by Shahada because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I love the tongue of the born again Christian.

The tongue that speaketh ill of Roman Catholicism yet references it as reliable when it suits them.

The tongue that speaketh withouteth investigationeth and research yet speaketh as on who know.

Is the tongue used in laughter?

The tongue says what the mind creates.

And the mind creates deception.

The tongue that speaks the words that hurt

Speaks that Truth of Perfection.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Mark 7:24 Syrophoenician Woman's Faith.

As a reward for her "silver tongue" and Faith Jesus casts out of a Syrophoenician woman's daughter an unclean spirit.

Mark 7:33 Jesus cures a deaf man by touching his tongue (and ear).

Oaths are consecrated by the tongue, and Jesus says any who swears (takes an oath) by anything in Heaven or on earth is of the Evil One.

Let your yes be yes and no be no.

An honorable human doesn't need to say anymore.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Not really because the fact that some Hindus were able to after a spiritual event speak in perfect English does not make it the same as the Church experience. the Hindu one is not from the Holy Ghost while the gift is.

The spiritual gift of tongues is not something the Christian makes happen or prepares themselves for or does any ritual for. This happens by God's spirit and that alone. The Christian does not have any power over gift. So there is no energizing of the body for doing it.

Sometimes some souls say things that prove how little they know/understand.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

edit on 18-7-2016 by Byrdma15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I apologize I have tried to keep them on track but every time the group associated with Gnosisisfiath and their anti Paul group start in the thread deviates and that is it for the thread.

Corinthians was one of the most worldly churches ever, every problem Paul dealt with them throughout the two books can bee seen in churches to day and then some.

As a believer in Christ, Jesus no longer sees me as a gentile/heathen he sees me as his own body. For I have been placed in Christ by the baptism of the Holy Ghost.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: ChesterJohnAnd you did forbid it. In the OP you said believers shouldn't use a gift the Holy Spirit gave them, that's wrong to say.

Please quote me?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Thank you.

You are the only one so far who enjoyed the topic. I kept it Biblical and I kept it simple.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
And what form of Christianity was legalized by Constantine in 315AD? ROMAN CATHOLICISM That is which one, it became the state religion of the day.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
And what form of Christianity was legalized by Constantine in 315AD? ROMAN CATHOLICISM That is which one, it became the state religion of the day.

No, Constantine only ended the persecution of Christians. It was the "Edict of Toleration". It was his 2nd successor, Theodosius I who passed the "Edict of Thessolinica" which made Christianity the State religion of the Roman Empire.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join