It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study of Tongues in the New Testament

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I respect your opinion, but I humbly disagree with you. I'm not taking anything out of context. I'm blatantly stating what's obviously written. You, for some reason are trying to read something that isn't there. Here click this link as it probably explains it better then I do.

www.google.com... s-is-savior.com%2FBooks%2C%2520Tracts%2520%26%2520Preaching%2FPrinted%2520Books%2Fthe_tongues_confusion-curtis_hutson.htm&usg=AFQjCNGzr5gnPzOMfUS_NKd9 i3FehHjjcg&bvm=bv.127178174,d.eWE

Read Matthew 10, Mark 13, and Luke 12 considering the speaking of the Holy Spirit through us in the end day. Also, the prophecy of acts was known. It was Joel's.
edit on 16-7-2016 by starlitestarbright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Hey, you're not supposed to forbid tongues. When Paul says only 2 or 3 should prophesy with and interpretation, that's when a tongue interrupts the service. But I've only witnessed that a couple times and another person will be given the interpretation right after. These two things are as the Spirit gives utterance.

That's totally different than a private prayer language to God, it a gift of the Holy Spirit for that specific purpose, a private prayer language to God. So therefore, there is nothing wrong in corporate worship time to use a private communication that goes strait to God because oftentimes a believer isn't on track with what the Holy Spirit is wanting to pray at that given moment in time. And yes, a private prayer language DOES edify the believer, but that's the entire point of the tongue of angels/private prayer language to begin with. It's a gift of the Spirit for the believer to use with God.

See below, 1 Corinthians 14:2:

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

That particular gift, is just that, a gift of the Holy Spirit. People should use it often, but as Paul said, out loud in a corporate setting that distracts or interrupts the service is a prophecy, and there will be an equal and forceful interpretation by the Holy Spirit right after.

(This is the unknown tongue prophesying, not to be confused with a word of knowledge which is different)

edit on 7 16 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: starlitestarbright

Your links aren't good. One is a 404, and the other goes to a search engine page.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: LittleByLittle

this is way off topic.

Now we even have quantum physics to explain how the spiritual world can create information exchange with our biological bodies.

In a way not since it has to do with how the experience talking in tongues is manifested in the brain thru energetic body states and is connected to how information can be accessed in the unconscious sometimes reaching conscious awareness. From my point of view you cannot really discuss the experience of talking in tongues without analyzing the brain that is used to manifest the experience.

So back to quantum entanglement and energized body states. Quantum entanglement since it is the way telepathic information exchange is achieved if we are talking about speaking in tongues where the other souls understand a language unknown to it. Energized body if we are talking about the overly creative side where a person can sing and speak in sound that does not make sense to it.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

How do you deal with the fact that the earliest bibles are different than the "Holy Scriptures"? As an example, the last chapter of Mark 9-20?

You mean the earliest complete manuscripts, there are single epistles and pages much older than those. Secondly, the reason those survived so long is they weren't being used as much, the early Christians considered the Alexandrian manuscripts to be corrupt because the Gnostic Christians were deleting verses they didn't like. One perfect example is the last 12 verses of Mark. They aren't present in the 4th century manuscripts, but wouldn't ha know, Irenaeus and Tertuillian both quoted from those verse in their 2nd century commentaries on the book of Mark. So they were not added after the 4th century by a scribe, they were expurgated from the text in Alexandria. That's a huge reason why scholars are going back to favoring the Textus Receptus MSS these days and putting much less weight on the Alexandrian MSS.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Your links aren't good. One is a 404, and the other goes to a search engine page.
Yea, my computer skills suck. lol, anyways it should have linked to " The Tongues Confusion" by Dr. Curtis Huston. It's a good read.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

There is a tab you can select above the reply box that is a little box with an arrow coming out of it.

Then you just first enter a word or words that you want to appear as the hyperlink, after you hit enter for that then you just copy/paste the URL in the box and hit enter a second time, and it automatically makes a hyperlink to your website.
edit on 7 16 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Originally posted by ChesterJohn
I had always wondered if tongues are not needed why did Paul mention them as a spiritual gift, and that when done properly would bring edification to the church. I discovered that by rightly dividing tongues I found there were three types of usage of tongues in the New Testament.

“I found there were three types of usage of tongues”

But aren’t there 2 types of tongues though…?

- JC

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Here, Chester....

watch this movie, and you'll see what I'm talking about

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Paul says we don't always know how to pray, therefore we can be/are given utterance, whether we are praying for ourselves, or someone else. This means the prayer is now coming from the heart, instead of the intellect. Which for the Christian especially, is something to be desired, since it is the heart that God deals with, more so than the intellect. So from the Christian's perspective, tongues are an indispensable gift or blessing for their personal prayers.

In the same way, the Spirit also helps our weaknesses, for we don't know how to pray as we ought. But the Spirit himself makes intercession for us with groanings which can't be uttered.

Romans 8:26

I think as far as the OPs outline goes, public versus private prayer, not an exact contradiction.

But yeah, back in the old days, lying flat on the bed, hands up and open, speaking "gibberish", very good feeling of communion. No feeling of shame for being selfish.
edit on 17-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Speaking in tongues is a con game that fanatics play to show their faith and it looks more like possession .

The gift of speaking tongues is just a nack for languages. Some people are really good at learning new tongues and some people are not.

It isn't speaking in tongues like those creepy televangelist shows do.

Just something some people are good at.

It's a misinterpretation of scripture that causes this odd behavior unfortunately.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I had to shake my head right there...

I don't remember reading that passage...

In the same way, the Spirit also helps our weaknesses, for we don't know how to pray as we ought. But the Spirit himself makes intercession for us with groanings which can't be uttered.

Romans 8:26

Matthew 6
edit on 17-7-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I think the most famous language of this type is John Dee's Enochian language, a supposed angelic language.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Shahada

Satan wouldn't bother counterfeiting tongues if it wasn't lagitimate. And there was a study done in 8 people who speak in tongues and it showed that the part of the brain where people form spoken languages was not used.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft
There is as many as 5,000 tongues (languages) in the world today.

What my outline does is show how they are used and what types it is sign gift tongues-needs no interpretation as it is understood by the hearer, spiritual gift tongues needs an interpretation, and selfish use unknown tongues has not interpretation.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Not really because the fact that some Hindus were able to after a spiritual event speak in perfect English does not make it the same as the Church experience. the Hindu one is not from the Holy Ghost while the gift is.

The spiritual gift of tongues is not something the Christian makes happen or prepares themselves for or does any ritual for. This happens by God's spirit and that alone. The Christian does not have any power over gift. So there is no energizing of the body for doing it.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical
I never said anything about forbidding it.

"private prayer language" is not a Bible term, I am very careful when using non bible terms (I try not too). Paul says. "in the spirit they speak mysteries". Mysteries does not mean it is a prayer language. If it is a mystery the speaker has not idea if it is prayer or praise.

Once men, no matter how godly, start adding to t he word of God they will eventually create a false doctrine. We need to use Bible words and terms and understand those words and terms.

If God has preserved all his words to this generation, I believe he has, then we should sue those words. This is not limiting a exegesis but creating a clear simple understanding using God's own words.
edit on 17-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
If it is not Christian or Jewish it is not Biblical.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
If it is not Christian or Jewish it is not Biblical.

You're a Christian, Chester. I wouldn't expect you to have any other view of it.

Agree to disagree then.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
opps!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join