It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Aware" People Who Support Politicians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I am perplexed as to why anyone who claims to be enlightened, a seeker of truth, or possess an awareness outside of the norm, would still endorse or support political parties or candidates. I have seen people, (particularly Americans), blame the “left” or “right” for certain failures or problems and I don't understand why. “Left vs “right “ is irrelevant and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things...there is a greater source at hand pulling the strings behind the scenes on both sides of everything. Why is it that some people fail to see this

edit on 7/16/2016 by semperfortis because: Corrected all caps

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: soulrebel11

I support Gary Johnson simply because there is no one else to support in my opinion. Maybe its false hope, but it wont hurt to vote.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
They have bought into a false narrative, they truly and honestly think that their political party is different from the other one and they buy into the media propaganda. They see all the bad things that the media sensationalizes and they feel the need to blame someone, so they blame the "other" side.

It's a really bizarre thing seeing members on this forum fall for the same tricks that have been used for centuries now, especially since we're supposed to deny ignorance and should be hyper aware of the game being played.

Maybe it's shills, maybe it's just a sign of the times. Either way though it is disheartening to see.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulrebel11
I am perplexed as to why anyone who claims to be enlightened, a seeker of truth, or possess an awareness outside of the norm, would still endorse or support political parties or candidates. I have seen people, (particularly Americans), blame the “left” or “right” for certain failures or problems and I don't understand why. “Left vs “right “ is irrelevant and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things...there is a greater source at hand pulling the strings behind the scenes on both sides of everything. Why is it that some people fail to see this

Hey, is that a dig at me?

In all seriousness, you might as well ask why "aware" people support any other human at all. Humans as a whole cheat, lie, kill, and steal. So it would be naive to expect political leaders and their administrations to be above corruption when even normal people are "corrupt" in various ways.

Personally, I support causes and goals, not specific candidates. So if a candidate is willing to further my goals, I'll support them to an extent. And since political parties and other political organizations are nothing more than vessels to achieve specific goals, it makes sense that people will be willing to support them as well, as long as they further our goals.

There's nothing that says we have to worship or idolize a candidate or political group. Just "support" them as long as they represent our needs and wants.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I support Gary Johnson simply because there is no one else to support in my opinion. Maybe its false hope, but it wont hurt to vote.

Thank you for your reply. To clarify, I am an outside observer when it comes to American politics. However, as far as I can tell of that candidate, he doesn't appear to be media endorsed. I could therefore somewhat understand the position of supporting a political candidate who does not have the media circus surrounding them, ( and whom you believe may be a better option than the two-party system candidates put before you). At the same time though, I personally wouldn't put my faith in any politician even though they may have good intentions going into it.

What I mainly find irksome is when we find those who are distrustful of a single candidate, a single particular party, and a single news network and blame these people for all the ills of society, whilst supporting the supposed "opposite spectrum," ....it's really all the same thing at its basic source, once you strip the circus away. I feel that more of us should be at a level of knowing this.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
They have bought into a false narrative, they truly and honestly think that their political party is different from the other one and they buy into the media propaganda. They see all the bad things that the media sensationalizes and they feel the need to blame someone, so they blame the "other" side.

It's a really bizarre thing seeing members on this forum fall for the same tricks that have been used for centuries now, especially since we're supposed to deny ignorance and should be hyper aware of the game being played.

Maybe it's shills, maybe it's just a sign of the times. Either way though it is disheartening to see.

Thank you! This is exactly what I mean!

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

No, not a dig at you!

But why do you believe any candidate would further your goals though? The goals and interests of these candidates are false – these separate and diametrically opposed ideologies are just a facade. The only goals that are ever furthered and accomplished are the goals of a few. That is all that comes out of it along with more distractions away from how we are being controlled and manipulated towards an end that does not benefit the common human being.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill
Rush, "Freewill"

No matter what you do, you are making a choice, and we are all getting frogmarched down the road to serfdom. I might as well pick the pace at which I get poisoned.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Well, here's a blunt answer. There are plenty of intelligent people in the world that don't want "good" things. Or to be more direct, what's "righteous" to one person may be "horrible" to another. You can't assume that your view of what should be priorities will match with everyone else's views.

As an example, I want the law enforcement and criminal justice systems to treat my family and friends fairly. There are candidates right now who are actively calling for more profiling, religious tests, and much worse against communities of people like myself (an African American and a Muslim). Even if I don't trust any candidate completely, it's pretty obvious that I'd have more support for the candidates that aren't calling for these things against my communities. Collective guilt and collective punishments are idiotic.

Some people want higher taxes and more spending on social programs. If a candidate is calling for that and has a good track record for fighting for that, why shouldn't I believe they'll at least try to accomplish those things in office? And the same goes for candidates who push for the opposite, calling for lower taxes and less spending on social services (or that calls for more wars or "overseas military interventions", etc). Should we also assume they'll never try to enact those policy positions if they get in power (even though there's a long history of administrations doing those)?

That's what I mean and I could probably give examples for many other policy positions. Supporting a candidate or party doesn't mean you have to support everything attributed to them or everything they're involved in. It's usually no different than a small business deal, where all involved parties get something out of the transaction. ETA: It's really all about priorities.
edit on 15-7-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

With all due respect, I don't think you're quite understanding what I'm communicating. I do not believe in these political systems or what their leaders say, what they may believe in, or what they may champion for or against on their respective platforms. These leaders themselves may have good intentions or may actually believe in and wish to accomplish positive change, but once you get to the source of the system, it is only a facade as these leaders do not actually yield the level of power that we may think they do.
edit on 15-7-2016 by soulrebel11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

My goto on that...

edit on 15-7-2016 by intrptr because: changed video

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Great clip!

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
In my experience, when people tell you they're "aware" or "enlightened" or [insert egoist, self-righteous cliche here], it's almost always a tell-tale sign that they are in fact not aware, enlightened, nor anything of the sort.

It's like an advance warning system.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
In my experience, when people tell you they're "aware" or "enlightened" or [insert egoist, self-righteous cliche here], it's almost always a tell-tale sign that they are in fact not aware, enlightened, nor anything of the sort.

Thanks for saving me the effort of writing that (because I'm long winded and it would have taken me forever to get that out).
Well done.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I don't claim to be enlightened.

I do think of myself of someone that seeks the truth (although I'm never sure if I REALLY find it).

I don't claim to possess an awareness outside the norm (because I have no frame of reference for that).

I can say this though....

I know full well that the United States on almost all fronts is headed in the wrong direction. Even in areas where we seem to be making progress I believe are misguided attempts (affirmative action, this whole bathroom thing, etc).

With the understanding that we are going in the wrong direction I (like many others) have to make a choice as to which candidate will slow our descent. I have no shame in saying that I'll be voting for Trump over Hillary. It doesn't mean that in my heart and soul I "support" the guy because quite frankly I'm still in a bit of a daze that this has become our choice.

I may not SUPPORT the guy but I support him... in part because the thought of a Hillary presidency horrifies my (although for the past year I have been preparing myself for it). It's also in part because even though he (like all the candidates) lies like a cheap rug and wont do all that he promises, I like the general gist of what he will push for. Should he become president he WILL screw me in one way or another, but the few bones he throws out to his "supporters" are much better for the nation, as I see it, than what Hillary will do and the bones she will throw. I'm not a SUPPORTER but under the circumstances I am a supporter.

Listen, in every election you will have the mindless Kool-Aid drinking drones that ALWAYS vote D or R (and to be candid I think that is MOST of the voters... even the ones that are registered Independent).

The US is headed towards that cliff so it's not a question of who will turn the ship around... rather... it is a question of who might slow it down a little.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Or to be more direct, what's "righteous" to one person may be "horrible" to another.

Excellent point.

Even if I don't trust any candidate completely, it's pretty obvious that I'd have more support for the candidates that aren't calling for these things against my communities.

Another excellent point. It's refreshing to see someone speak the truth and acknowledge that they vote for what will benefit themselves and their friends/family specifically, rather than claim to vote for "the greater good."

I could be wrong but I'm guessing you and I don't agree politically and will be voting for opposing candidates but I sincerely appreciate where you are coming from.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

Perhaps so, but I think I may have actually worded my initial post incorrectly. I meant to say more along the lines of "those who give the appearance of being enlightened" rather than those claiming it outright in an egotistical way. My apologies for being unclear on that.

@eluryh22

I think what I am mainly bothered by more than anything are the blaming accusations, insults, and dare I say, "hate mongering" made against a political party or candidate by certain individuals whom you'd expect to be way above and beyond this. It's a major detraction from what is really ailing the country and/or the world. The focus just seems quite backward and misguided in my view.

edit on 16-7-2016 by soulrebel11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Yep, election time in America. Where we all learn how well we can make lemonade.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I think it's perfectly safe and not an insult at all to call Hillary a liar who should be disbarred from even holding office as dogcatcher.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Interesting question!

I haven't yet made up my mind who I will vote for yet, but this election my vote will be strictly strategic. It will probably go to either Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party or Jill Stein of the Green Party, whichever one looks closest to receiving 15% of the total vote, because that will put a third party on the playing field going forward, taking that much power away from the behemoths -- the Democrat and Republican Parties.

At this point at least, that seems to be the most valuable use of my vote

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join