It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the First Artificial Animal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I've been sitting on this article for a couple of days, ATS. The more I thought about it, the more I knew I should post it. So, here it is: The first artificial lifeform created by scientists using 3D printing and genetic engineering. It's a stingray which actually swims.

Scientists Create Successful Biohybrid Being Using 3-D Printing and Genetic Engineering Scientists genetically engineered and 3-D-printed a biohybrid being, opening the door further for lifelike robots and artificial intelligence.

Like most disruption, it started with a simple idea. Kit Kevin Parker, PhD, a Harvard professor researching how to build a human heart, saw his daughter entranced by watching stingrays at the New England Aquarium in Boston. He wondered if he could engineer a muscle that could move in the same sinuous, undulating fashion. The quest for a material led to creating an artificial ray with a 3-D-printed rubber body at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Harvard. Scientists from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the University of Michigan, and Stanford University's Medical Center joined the team.

They reinforced the soft rubber body with a 3-D-printed gold skeleton so thin it functions like cartilage. Geneticists adapted rat heart cells so they could respond to light by contracting. Then, they were grown in a carefully arranged pattern on the rubber and around the gold skeleton.

www.inc.com...

The muscular circuitry is one of the most interesting parts of the research.

This is cool but also kinda-creepy and it opens the door to a whole new era of technology. Even more-so is that if we're hearing about this now, it means that there's tech out there that's much farther along...What says ATS?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

There ye go.... Very Cool

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I can just see it now.

Save the "Whatchamacallit" from abuse.

Meanwhile, some guy is mass producing them for a few cents on the dollar in his basement.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yes I heard this on bbc world radio last weekend. They interviewed the guy who made it. Yes a bit creepy but amazing at the same time.
Glad you posted about thanks

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I once wondered if a clone would be legally able to own property in the current US law.
What constitutes the real line ?
Is this over it?
edit on 15-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

No

They're just for spare parts for the original.....

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I liked that other movie too but when you see that these experments are possible ,aren't we watching almost a replay of SO many corny 80s monster movies?
Would a military modified person have rights after death?
LOTTA questions...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Lots of ethical arguments in that can of worms

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

SOMEONE kick Grisham in the ass WE NEED a sci fi court battle...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
I once wondered if a clone would be legally able to own property in the current US law.
What constitutes the real line ?
Is this over it?

I don't know the answer but I know you can find out in Star Trek The Next Generation. There was an episode where they found out these exocomps were sentient. That's all I have to add to this conversation.

Oh one more thing.
youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Any video of the thing actually swimming?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Artificial stingrays are neat and all, but let's give some credit to whomever engineered those lil alien greys. Fake stingrays ain't got nothing on those ufo driving, human abducting, cattle mutilating Lil sombitches.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: KalDarryl

Incorrect! THAT would NOT cover tera'ngan law in THIS time line...I SHOULD KILL you for dishonoring me with such an insult .

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: KalDarrylI need not repeat myself....
edit on 16-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: KalDarryl

Incorrect! THAT would NOT cover tera'ngan law in THIS time line...I SHOULD KILL you for dishonoring me with such an insult .

All time lines are possible. You may have already killed me. Only time will tell.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
A whole page and not one mention of the similarities between this situation and the fall of Atlantis? What even is this website anymore?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

So does it have any animal rights?

Once we are able to create/print true artificial animals we will be able to do the same regarding the Human animal. Now that prospect does indeed open up a whole big can of ethical worms. And if the tech out there is indeed much farther along, god know what the hell "They" are up to.
edit on 16-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: elliotmtl
A whole page and not one mention of the similarities between this situation and the fall of Atlantis? What even is this website anymore?

Care to elaborate....?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I'll take a dozen please,
But they'll need apertures for mounting lasers.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Is Consciousness Only A Property Of Individual Cells?

The individual signals passing from neurone to neurone are not bound together, whether as elements of information or physically.
Within a single cell, binding in terms of bringing together of information is potentially feasible. A physical substrate may also be available.
It is therefore proposed that a bound conscious experience is a property of an individual cell, not a group of cells. Since it is unlikely that one specific neurone is conscious, it is suggested that every neurone has a version of our consciousness, or at least some form of sentience.
However absurd this may seem it is consistent with the available evidence; arguably the only explanation that is. It probably does not alter the way we should expect to experience the world, but may help to explain the ways we seem to differ from digital computers and some of the paradoxes seen in mental illness. It predicts non-digital features of intracellular computation, for which there is already evidence, and which should be open to further experimental exploration.

www.ucl.ac.uk...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join