It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting heard in Ankara, military jets & helicopters flying over city

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

NATO country's that have military coups???

The mind simply boggles, then again are Turkey not famous for this type of thing? Certainly seem to remember something similar happening back in the 80s.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

In another thread someone whose friends are in Turkey stated that there are unconfirmed reports of a "dirty bomb" in Istanbul ...

ETA: see comment just below
edit on 15-7-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The Turkish military claims to have taken over after Turkey's PM said a military faction had been involved in an attempted coup. In a statement read out on Turkey's NTV television, the army said: "Power in the country has been seized in its entirety."

According to Sky sources, state TV has been stormed by the military and staff have been asked to hand in their mobile phones. A Turkish state news agency is reporting that a top general is among several people being "held hostage" at the military headquarters in Ankara. That follows media reports that ambulances have been seen in front of the building.

Turkish Military Says It Has Taken Over Country

And it’s just happening more every day now.
Turkey is now in ‘Martial Law’, all bridges and main roads are closed.
All Airports and Rail links have stopped. I am seeing tweets saying “A dirty bomb is in Istanbul” but it’s unconfirmed.
My partner and I have our best Friends Iain and Michelle with their 8 year old Daughter there, they are in Istanbul, stuck in a hotel.My mate Iain called me and said it’s like the Owen Wilson movie “No Escape”

youtu.be...

May God have mercy on ALL our souls.
The World is about to die. Sadly we lost, we are divided SO BADLY we argue with family and friends over Religion and Politics, then we get confused when these actions create terror. We are Evil, this World has fallen...and it's about to crash
I posted this when it had already been posted and people saying "Relax" or "Have a beer"
My best friend, his partner and 8 year old girl are thinking they might not make it home. They knew the risk before they went, we even talked about it. Sadly our worst fears are happening. Can people just think of my friends? Everyone's friends? Everyone in the region? #AllLivesMatter

edit on 15/7/2016 by shauny because: Idiot

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: shauny

Hope the real nukes stationed there are locked up good and tight!

Dirty bombs no laughing matter all the same.

Hopefully cooler head prevail and this all ends as peaceably as possible.
edit on 15-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I honestly doubt that this military coup will end in a peaceful way, especially when it comes to the likes of Erdogan.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Because getting elected seems to be the only democratic process he's interested in. He passed several laws restricting freedom of press and giving more power to him and his party.

Earlier this year for example he canceled the immunity of nearly one in four members of the parliament, predominantly from the opposition, so he can get rid of them by pressing charges. He also bullied out the former prime minister Ahmet Davutoğlu due to differences regarding this course.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This sounds very much like Egypt.
MB, IS, & Obama are the big losers.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Good thoughts going out to your friends. Keep us informed please.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

Well given the current climate regarding Europe right now that does not bode to well now does it?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
So Erdogan flees the country .. and urges citizens to ignore martial law and take to the streets as he runs away. Wow.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a coup was the last thing on my mind....
Erdogan seemed to be on the top as becoming the Caliph or Sultan of the Turk/ISIS/Caliphate that was determined to come about

in fact I had trouble in another thread in resolving just how Russia would become a principal overlord of the West Bank called Istanbul (the former Constantinople) once the Eastern Empires Seat of Christian authority...

If the military coup develops, tosses out the egomaniac Erdogan the Sultan out-on-his-ear, then the democratic Turk State could invite Russia in to help oversee Istanbul & the throne of the Eastern Patriarch Bartholomew... instead of a Sunni-Jihad Caliphate State under Sharia Law of 7th century levels of sophistication
the Turks don't want EU inclusion neither do they want a Neo-Ottoman/Isis Caliphate... they are modern & sophisticated unlike the dumbed down masses of the Revolutionary Guard in Persia-Iran with + 10k volunteer bomber vest martyrs at the ready

ADD

bottom line is: I have forecasted days ago that Russia will soon be in control of Istanbul... the thousand year seat of Eastern Orthodox Christianity and the Cathedral that has been converted into a Mosque after 1452 Islamic takeover... now the modern reasons for Russia to say why they are seizing Istanbul is to guarantee the free-&-open sea-lane of the Bosphorus to any nation on Earth (see; Erdogan was playing games with not letting Russian Ships in or out of the Black Sea--- or tried his best to intimidate the Russians & Putin...)

strange how Putin went into seclusion for a week and when he returned to the public view... this coup takes place....
hmmmm, strange indeed my friends
edit on th31146862040015062016 by St Udio because: putin missing....coup ally?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
AFP via Sky...loud explosian in Ankara.

another report the explosion was at a TV station
edit on 15-7-2016 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

in fact I had trouble in another thread in resolving just how Russia would become a principal overlord of the West Bank called Istanbul (the former Constantinople) once the Eastern Empires Seat of Christian authority...

Not sure why that would be something that had to be resolved ...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Nikola014

Well given the current climate regarding Europe right now that does not bode to well now does it?

Again we are not feeling this here. There is no fear. Right now I am scared for my best mate. He has not called me back and his phone is off. All internet I am hearing is down as are cell/mobile phones. I am trying hard to get to my mate and his wife and kid, about 20 of us are trying FRANTICALLY to find them....
But we have no fear day to day. We WILL NOT CLOSE BORDERS, WE WILL NOT ARM OUR POLICE NOR OURSELVES.
Should we close borders and arm ourselves, then we become the American story.

#Peace

originally posted by: liveandlearn

Good thoughts going out to your friends. Keep us informed please.

We are trying to contact them.
They are in Ankara, he told me there were 10 or so Jets flying over him towards Istanbul, basically over the hotel and to the West.

edit on 15/7/2016 by shauny because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/7/2016 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Come to think of it my Mrs has family out there on holiday right now.

This world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Peace to you also.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

It is pretty common in muslim countries like pakistan.

It is how the religion of peace handles regime change.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Anyone wanting to watch UK news live on this can do so here.
The US news and UK news is totally different, as usual, but that is ok...I suppose

Reports now of clashes between Police and Military.
This could get BAD! Real bad.

Watch Sky News Live

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Aye but its not pretty common in NATO nations. Well aside for Turkey that is. I mean is that not like 4 military coups in the past 50 years or so?

It does not exactly inspire confidence if you ask me!

edit on 15-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It looks like a successful coup. Erdogan is probably finnished.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Here is a good run down of what piece of crap this Erdogan is:

Recep Tayyip Erdogan's AK Party enjoys a fierce and loyal support among Turkey's conservative, Muslim base, while outside the country outrage grows over his silencing of critics, often by force.

Turkish journalists have been investigated and put on trial, foreign journalists have been harassed and deported. Last month, police raided Turkey's biggest newspaper, Zaman. Its staff emerged bloodied and cowed.

Zaman's last independent edition said Turkey's press had seen one of its "darkest days". Its first edition under state control carried unabashedly pro-government articles.

And Mr Erdogan's authoritarian approach is not confined to Turkey's borders. His bodyguards harassed reporters in the US, and a German satirist is under investigation in his home country for offending the Turkish president on TV.
www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 15/7/16 by stumason because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join