It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting heard in Ankara, military jets & helicopters flying over city

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
So who are the Bad guys? I'm behind on this.

Lol
That's a good one

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

LOL, on the bbc one Turkish journalist asked "what will the punishment be for the arrested militaries, will you bring back the death penalty or..." The BBC talking head shut down the translator " Riight...and so blah blah blah..."

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone
Independent reporting the Government as trying to implement the death penalty for those involved in the coup and reports going round of 100+ soldiers being killed already. www.independent.co.uk... st-updates-a7140371.html
edit on 16-7-2016 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
UPDATED: Turkey Army Coup A Success? Erdogan Defiant

Istanbul was buzzed by military jets, there are tanks blocking bridges in the city and soldiers were walking along the city’s quays, according to Twitter reports. The iShares MSCI Turkey exchange-traded fund (TUR) was down 2.5% Friday, while emerging markets as a whole were down fractionally on the day. In after-hours trading, the fund tumbled more than 6%. The Turkish lira (TRY) weakened by 4.4% against the dollar Friday.

Turkey’s prime minister downplayed the attempt, saying “military action is being taken without a chain of command and it ‘is wrong to call events a coup,’ Sky News reported. But he acknowledge a coup attempt. As reports of the military employing martial law surfaced, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is vacationing this week, used Apple (AAPL) Facetime with a Turkish television reporter to say that his supporters would take to the streets and that the military uprising was a minority and “would be resolved in a short time,” NBC reports. Istanbul is 7 hours ahead of New York; it was about 11 p.m. local time as these reports trickled out.

Capital Economics’ Neil Shearing, an emerging markets economist, declares the coup against President Erdogan’s government a success.

“A statement by PM Yildirim initially suggested that it had been undertaken by a small part of the Army, but events since suggest that the military is united. It has issued a statement saying it has seized control of the government “throughout the nation”. There has been no statement so far from President Erdogan, which itself could be evidence that the military has the upper hand … This is a NATO country and, depending on how events play out, will have implications for the war in Syria, the fight against ISIS and even the balance of power within the Middle East more generally … “

click link for article.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

bad link

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Aye tried linking several ways this site constantly messes up certain links, no idea why..

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Looks like the Turkish Prime Minister has just declared America an Enemy twitter.com... wonder what the response from the Kenyan will be now..

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Well, RIP to the officers who tried to save the Secular State established by Ataturk. Erdogan will now be able to purge the military and opposition of secularists, and then nothing will stand in his way in regards to his plans to impose Islamic law and establish an Islamic State.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: solidshot
Looks like the Turkish Prime Minister has just declared America an Enemy twitter.com... wonder what the response from the Kenyan will be now..

Not all that strange since the people who are now pulling the strings are insiders who have seen that the U.S president has been nothing but supportive of ISIS and radical islam. The very thing they want to distance themselves from.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

He is elected. Now you can see him amongst the crowd and people are chanting alahuakbar at him. You have to answer yourself.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
So who are the Bad guys? I'm behind on this.

There was an attempt by the forces of good to overtake the government, they were using their right as defined in their laws, when the government would no longer be secular, the army has a right to step in and take over and restore secularity.

Erdogan has severely curtailed freedom of speech and expression and has brought an increasingly religious bent to the Turkish government. Most of his political support is concentrated in rural, conservative, Muslim areas of the country.

www.cnbc.com...

However they failed and now Erdogan is seen as the righteous democratic chosen leader and has absolute power, afterall those against him are now identified and can be replaced, they might even get killed either way they are out of Erdogans way. Many nations have already spoken against the coup and support Erdogan. During the coup, Turkish people were told by the army to stay indoors, while Erdogan was telling the people over the internet they should not listen to that and instead go out and protest against the treachery.

Basically I think Erdogan leans to Islamist conservatives and the army is regarded being Kemalists following Ataturk who leaned more to the West and reformed Turkey. The army has only committed coups in the past either because the government was becoming too religious or was because they thought the government was not doing too well. So now that this is over and out of the way I expect Turkey to lean more to Islam and become more conservative or there is a chance of civil war.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: solidshot

He is in the US of his own free will. I dont think we have an extradition treaty with Turkey either.
edit on 16-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Well, RIP to the officers who tried to save the Secular State established by Ataturk. Erdogan will now be able to purge the military and opposition of secularists, and then nothing will stand in his way in regards to his plans to impose Islamic law and establish an Islamic State.

Crap.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Almost 3000 military members have so far been arrested.

Erdogon released a statement saying further uprisings are still possible and for citizens to be vigilant.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

The worrying part is the prime minster blaming the USA.

I hope this doesn't mean Turkeys about to go rogue.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I am not going to defend the coup in anyway...BUT:
Didn't Erdogan say on that mobile phone transmission to CNN Turk that he would give amnesty to the military if they stop the coup? 1,500 arrested, 2,500 arrested and keep rising. They might be guilty. Aren't they TOO MANY though? If so many military, officers, generals, do not agree with the policy of Erdogan, and most of all, if they DID NOT SHOOT EN MASSE as they surely could, is it justified the PURGE Erdogan is not making as we speak?

I agree with the Western politicians to stand behind the democratically elected government of Turkey. But is that democratically elected government behaving democratically? Let not forget of the Kurdish purge that continues for decade or more. Of the dubious position about Syria that saw millions Syrians and other migrants passing freely thru Turkish territory and pouring into Europe. Some of them proven members of ISIS and other militant organizations. Is that the democracy of the elected government of Turkey? Let alone the entire saga with Russia that could see Russia-NATO conflict where nobody expected it should occur.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

The worrying part is the prime minster blaming the USA.

I hope this doesn't mean Turkeys about to go rogue.

Well Skynews just reported that if he is not turned over a state of war would exist.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Way to go full retard Turkey......

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

To be honest I think the military is now screwed, whether they supported the coup or the government. I guarantee we will see the argument against the military who didnt take part demanding to know why they didnt stop it. With such a fractured chain of command its going to be a mess and the military will take the brunt of it.

I still get the feeling this is not over.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Way to go full retard Turkey......

I am curious how much of the bravado is meant for domestic audiences.

update -
- 265 killed
- Over 2,800 arrested
- About 1,440 wounded

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join