It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting heard in Ankara, military jets & helicopters flying over city

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I have been talking with a close friend that is Turkish and currently lives in Turkey. His view is a false flag, and that Erdogan will use this to his advantage to secure more power over the people.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
update -
60 people reported dead
336 people taken into custody across Turkey (no info on breakdown military / civilian).

Lots of them are civilians, moderate muslims

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
I have thr same feeling I don't think he created it what it seems is he set up the circumstances to allow it to ocur. Then he sat back and waited to see who would take the opertunity. As he said in his speech afterwards this gives him the opertunity to clean out the military. I thought that was a strange comment giving the fact that he had just regained control.

Honestly, I think you are giving Erdoğan way too much credit.
I don't think he's that smart.
IMH(f)O, He's a bad person.
But, he's not like Saddam / Stalin / Hilter / Himler diabolical.
He's more potential opportunist despot, ala Mussolini.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnhancedInterrogator
I think we are going to find-out, this was a very small group of officers in the military who cooked-up this half-baked coup.

Here's the part I don't get. Officers. I would think officers would have planned more carefully and not initiated a coup unless they knew they had JUSTIFICATION legally for a coup and SUPPORT.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Miracula2
Here's the part I don't get. Officers. I would think officers would have planned more carefully and not initiated a coup unless they knew they had JUSTIFICATION legally for a coup and SUPPORT.

Unfortunately, "legal justification" is written by the victors.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Miracula2

originally posted by: EnhancedInterrogator
I think we are going to find-out, this was a very small group of officers in the military who cooked-up this half-baked coup.

Or maybe just planned to win at all?

Pathetic how quickly that lasted, as far as coups go.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Flase flag ever cross your mind?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Lots of propaganda being thrown about by the current (or former) government. Fighting appears to be ongoing and will likely continue.

What I see is that this country will be in conflict for a long time. This coup is the reopening of a wound that may never heal. Whether or not the coup is crushed really doesn't matter. The conflict has reached a new level in the region and it's sucking in neighboring countries.

I'm just glad there's an ocean between me and this fighting.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Military has sent out emails saying they will continue fighting Edrogans rule and advised civilians to remain indoors for their own safety.

Does anyone have any info on other cities? So far they are only talking about Ankara and Istanbul, 2 cities that support Erdogan. Ive seen discussion talking about how little support he has outside the 2 large cities.

The other food for thought revolves around the missing head of the military. Was he taken hostage by the coup plotters, by Erdogans government or is he coordinating the military on the side of the coup?
edit on 15-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
MSM in my market has now completely dropped the story, and have gone back to covering that incident in Nice, France - or "regularly scheduled programming". News producers apparently only care about Turkey around Thanksgiving.
edit on 2016-7-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fumatten, spelling and gammer.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

a reply to: EnhancedInterrogator
Skynews live feed

Yeah, that figures UK-based news org.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: EnhancedInterrogator

US media is to busy protecting Clintons presidential run.

update -
60 deaths - mainly civilians.
more than 750 members of the military have been arrested thus far across the country.

The governments claims they are in control are now being disputed. The number of military arrested and the fact its nationwide suggest more support than what the government wants to admit.

The stooge skynews is interviewing sounds like a government mouthpiece.
edit on 15-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
Their military seems to lack balls. Orchestrate a coup and wont do the dirty work involved? Getting captured by civilian police forces? Or was the whole thing an elaborate rouse?

Of course this all might just be round one.

We have to consider that only certain parts of the military are involved in the coup. Those forces which were carrying out the coup could not realistically kill civilians without coming under intense pressure, especially since everyone and their mother were streaming footage. That said, battles were fought with some police forces, and there are death tolls as a result.We must also consider that at this point in time, Istanbul is securely in government hands, and the soldiers who have surrendered were only those sitting on a bridge in the city. They had no where to go.

Certain elements of the military are still fighting, and Erdogan has said there are still problems around Ankara.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy
I'm just glad there's an ocean between me and this fighting.

Aircraft can fly across oceans, and more importantly (in a modern context lately) undersea cables connect our Internet to theirs.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The other food for thought revolves around the missing head of the military. Was he taken hostage by the coup plotters, by Erdogans government or is he coordinating the military on the side of the coup?

I was wondering about this to and have come to the same thought.

He has been missing since early on, and nobody in the media or Government seem to have any idea where he is.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

The stooge skynews is interviewing sounds like a government mouthpiece.

Yeah, that's like "standard procedure".

What was a little weird through this, is that I don't recall seeing anything directly from the military - explaining their stance. There seem to only be 3rd party references to statements made in person when they first implemented (or try to impose) the curfew, etc.

But, then again, maybe that's because they never had all the top-level military officials on-board.
edit on 2016-7-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: fumatten, spelling and gammer.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
He had already purged the military over the last few years so he was probably confident he had enough yes men in place so the whole military couldn't be taken over from him. If this had happened five years ago it might have had a chance.

This opens the door for him to go full blown tyrant now. Kurds will get the Nazi jew treatment at full blast, terror will get sent into Europe like never before.

People who supported the coup if they demonstrated or whatever, they would be the ones better off taking some suicide pills. There will be no escape from the round ups, and western media won't be there to cover it even if they wanted to. They don't have imaginary Fema type camps over there, they have real ones. The first modern mass genocides were committed by the Turks, later studied and emulated by the Nazis years later.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think the aftermath of this will be that Turkey will have to be watched very closely by NATO allies. If things go very despotic with Erdoğan, NATO will have to re-evaluate several things (probably in this order):

• Any intelligence-sharing with among Turkey and other NATO allies.
  • Any joint Military operations with Turkey (i.e. operations in Syria / Iraq, etc.).
  • Turkey's membership in NATO (period).

I am not certain NATO has pre-defined procedure for kicking-out a member-country. If not, they better start coming-up with a procedure - if only to have it in their "back pocket" should things get that bad.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
update -
Of the military members detained:
35+ are Colonels
5 are generals

Military (coup) still has use of helicopters. Government spokesperson said they have no airplanes and that the helicopters will soon be neutralized.

Military (coup) has released why they were doing this:
* - Erdogans increased authoritarian rule.
* - The move by Erdogan towards non secular government.
* - Policies toward Syria and their results.
* - Increased terrorism based on Erdogans policies.
* - clamp down on freedom of speech.
* - Erdogans attempt t concentrate power in the office of President, which is ceremonial.

Pro government forces have surrounded military headquarters and are engaging the military coup.
edit on 16-7-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join