It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting heard in Ankara, military jets & helicopters flying over city

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
SOURCE

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Turkey's prime minister says a group within Turkey's military has engaged in what appeared to be an attempted coup. Binali Yildirim told NTV television: "it is correct that there was an attempt." Yildirim didn't provide details, but said Turkey would never allow any "initiative that would interrupt democracy." Earlier, military jets were heard flying over the capital, Ankara. Media reports said ambulances were seen in front of the Turkey's military headquarters.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I hope your right, but I'm afraid of ISIS just taking the country.

I'm not saying it was great there. It's just at this point nothing would surprise me.
edit on 15-7-2016 by DinobotIV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DinobotIV

The military has been planning this for months, they want less religious influence, not more.

link   
This may be a good thing and the Turkish military taking out the trash.

The current administration there was corrupt to the very core.

link   
The reddit page previously linked is reporting that the Ataturk International Airport has been shut down by military forces. No flights in or out at this time.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

Thing is in Turkey, how does the world know this a coup if the government has full control over the media? I mean, do you trust Erdogan?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DinobotIV
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I hope your right, but I'm afraid of ISIS just taking the country.

Not with the military.

No way would they throw in with a rag tag bunch of desert barbarians thats are all but destroyed in Syria.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Fox News is covering it now. Attempted coup?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
The reddit page previously linked is reporting that the Ataturk International Airport has been shut down by military forces. No flights in or out at this time.

Looks like a pile em up situation. www.flightradar24.com...

Na, They are landing and taking off.
edit on 15-7-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If this is a coupe, I only hope that a more peace driven faction fills the power vacuum. Not likely, but I can hope.
Erdegon is (imo) a terrorist leader and supporting ISIS and other factions. He needs replaced, not just him but the entire network that allows this.

Hopefully this won't mirror the Egyptian coupe.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

For the last six months Turkey and Israel have worked on reaching a compromise concerning Gaza. Turkey has received guarantees that it will be able to supply humanitarian aid to the Palestinians, and in addition it will also be able to build a hospital, supply much needed electricity and clean water to the Strip, in addition to other steps aimed at improving the lives of Palestinians there.
During the 1990s, criticism of Turkey’s alliance with Israel was to a great extent taboo. In fact, one of the events that hastened the 1997 military coup, which led to the resignation of Turkey’s Islamist Prime Minister Necmettin Erbakan, was when Turkish military tanks rolled into the Ankara neighborhood of Sincan where an Islamist evening of solidarity with Palestine, the al-Quds (Jerusalem) Night, was taking place; the mayor, among others, was arrested.

Source: Haaretx.com, June 27, 2016 - Netanyahu's Turkish Coup: How Erdogan Realized He Really Does 'Need Israel'.

So it may not be Russia/Putin. It may actually be the military fed up with warming relations with Israel. And it looks like it happened before (in the 1900s). This may an opinion piece but the dates are right. (Did a google search and came across this and thought it might be relevant).

link   
The only surprise here is that it has taken this long...

Its not the first attempted coup because of a radical leader, I suspect it wont be the last attempt.

link   
Wonder if the recent airport attacks were in any way related.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Here's a livestream of NTV, not in English:
www.ntv.com.tr...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Nothing moving at Ankera Esenboga international though.

link   
Military has announced that a coup has taken place.
Apparently the Police are attempting to fight the military to try to put down the coup. Good luck with that!

link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Rumors Putin cahooting with Turkish General.

Erdogen's time may be up.

I wondered if there was any Russian connection.

I guess that sort of kills the idea of a peaceful faction seizing power.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Conflicting reports.

PM say coup averted on National TV, Military claims control.

Is Erdo gone now?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Rumors Putin cahooting with Turkish General.

Erdogen's time may be up.

He, erdogan did shoot down his planes, payback is a b#€ch

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join