It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ten (10) Commandments in the New Testament

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: ScatteredThirdAngel

You're in error. Jesus Himsself said the entire law hung on 2 commands, to love God with everything we have and to love our neighbor as ourselves. Secondly, in Acts 15 the apostles said for Gentile believers there was no other burden to be placed upon us than 4 commands. End of story, any other burdens men try to put on people is a lie, it's against Acts 15.

It seems to me that all of the ten rely on the two...

edit on 15-7-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Yeah, in essence they do. It's the law of love, but I can't acknowledge that the words of James don't exist in Acts 15.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I agree, if you are true in the 2 greatest the other 8 come naturally is all Jesus meant.

The ten commandments are still in effect in Christian theology and "One Iota" will not disappear from the Law/Torah means that it is still valid as scripture and Law.

But only Hebrews ever had to obey the 613 Mosaic laws so no burden necessary and if you were Jewish and wanted you could still follow the law of Moses if you chose, but the ten commandments are basic essentials, really.

Most are matters of common sense.

edit on 15-7-2016 by Shahada because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Shahada

Problem is... much more then one dot or tittle was changed in the old laws...

So HE wasn't talking about said laws which most assume

edit on 15-7-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Actually that's a misquote, Jesus said "not one jot or tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, until all be fulfilled, and I came to fulfil."

Secondly, it's important to note that the law was never a covenant with he Gentiles, but in the dispensation of the law of a Gentile wanted to be under covenant he/she had to convert to Judaism, not so with the gospel. It's extended to all men through Jesus Christ. His burden is light, His yoke is easy. The law brought only condemnation before God, it revealed our sin. We are free in Christ, we are in liberty and now the law is fulfilled by love. Love toward God, and loving our neighbor as ourselves.
edit on 7 15 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Problem is... must more then one dot or tittle was changed in the old laws...

So HE wasn't talking about that law which most assume

Definitely, at one point there were sects with 7 commandments combined with the traditions with ten so change is a constant.

I think that the Loveable God needs to be known of before you can understand the difference.

And the epistles do a great job of law bashing and a quick turn to good works coining the negative term (to him) works of law making good deeds seem as outrageous as some of the Mosaic laws.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Problem is... must more then one dot or tittle was changed in the old laws...

So HE wasn't talking about that law which most assume

No he was talking about the old law, see my post. He fulfilled he law, He said "It is finished!". We are no longer under law, but the gospel. Jesus fulfilled the demands of the law, and sacrificed Himself for our sin. It's glorious to be free in Christ, He is amazing. Could you imagine how maddening it was to be in constant worry every day that you never missed any of the 623 laws? I would have been in constant paranoia myself.

The Jews today can't even keep the law, here hasn't been a temple since 70 AD.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

No, sorry, you are incorrect.

Jesus never said the law is finished or abolished and fulfilled doesn't mean "no longer in effect" it means fulfilled, followed.

It is finished is ONE account of his last words and you have no reason for saying he meant the law is finished. None.

Jesus was clear that he was not changing God's Law. Your assumption, not fact.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Well there was a time about a decade ago where i tried to keep all the rules in the bible... it was hellish, ruined my social life which wasn't huge anyways...

No lighting fires, preparing your meals the day before the sabbath... just crazyness really

in any case, technically ALL wasn't fulfilled even though he said it was...

So again, either Jesus was actually wrong in the sense that not one jot or tittle will be changed...

Or...

Like i said, he wasn't actually talking about said 613 laws

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

What you assume is ridiculous, why would Jesus get rid of God's Law?

You act like the ten commandments are so difficult that they had to be removed.

But they are still in effect and Jesus wanted no part of doing away with the Law.

You know Law is Torah, right?

Is it done away with? It is not. It is a part of mainstream Christianity.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I never said they were ridiculous. I said He fulfilled them. Now under the new covenant He gave us two laws which He said fulfills all he old ones. Love God with everything we have, and love our neighbor as ourselves. The law was good, we aren't able to keep it perfectly without fail. Therefore it condemns us, no man can earn righteousness to be saved on his own works by the law, because to fail in 1 part means to fail in all. In other words, that means that the law cannot be missed a single point.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shahada

No, sorry, you are incorrect.

Jesus never said the law is finished or abolished and fulfilled doesn't mean "no longer in effect" it means fulfilled, followed.

It is finished is ONE account of his last words and you have no reason for saying he meant the law is finished. None.

Jesus was clear that he was not changing God's Law. Your assumption, not fact.

Okay, then follow the law, I won't stop you.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Well there was a time about a decade ago where i tried to keep all the rules in the bible... it was hellish, ruined my social life which wasn't huge anyways...

No lighting fires, preparing your meals the day before the sabbath... just crazyness really

So again, either Jesus was actually wrong in the sense that not one jot or tittle will be changed...

Or...

Why can't we just go by why Jesus said, that nothing would pass from the law until it all was fulfilled. And He said that He came to fulfil. Why can't we say exactly what He said without taking away from it?

Jesus fulfilled the law, He said He came to fulfil the law. That's awesome, glory to Jesus. Now we aren't under the law, but under a new covenant. Even prophecies in the OT said we would someday be under the law written on our hearts. God tells us if we violate he two laws, He convicts us.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Trust me brother, its nothing against Jesus... HE is the Man

Unfortunately he didn't fulfil all that was written about Messiah...

In any case the old laws failed to begin with... and were only useful for them

Many laws were unnecessary... like mixing of fabrics, dietary laws, usury to think of a few off the top of my head

Just reinforces why i believe this wasn't the God Jesus spoke of...

To each their own though

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Trust me brother, its nothing against Jesus... HE is the Man

Unfortunately he didn't fulfil all that was written about Messiah...

In any case the old laws failed to begin with... and were only useful for them

Many laws were unnecessary... like mixing of fabrics, dietary laws, usury to think of a few off the top of my head

Just reinforces why i believe this wasn't the God Jesus spoke of...

To each their own though

We aren't talking about if He fulfilled everything written about the Messiah, He said He would fulfil everything written in the law, or the Torah. There are still 1800 prophecies yet to be fulfilled at the end of this age. There are 8 times as many prophecies concerning His 2nd coming as there were about His first coming. So when Jesus said He came to filfil the law, that meant the law of Moses. The prophets and Psalms aren't the law, those books are referred to as "the prophets".

Jesus fulfilled every point of the Law.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Fulfiling includes changing laws apparently?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Fulfiling includes changing laws apparently?

The OT prophecies that there would come a time when God's law would be on our hearts. (Jeremiah 31:33) Another way to say it, our conscious. So in essence yes, there is a prophecy in the OT that says the Mosaiac Law would end. And if you think about the temple being destroyed in 70 AD the law can't be done today even if someone wanted to try.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScatteredThirdAngel

Why do men say we don't have to keep the 10 Commandments, when every single one of them can be found, and is taught in the New Testament?

1: Matthew 4:10, Matthew 6:24
2: 1 John 5:21 & Acts 17:29
3: 1 Timothy 6:1, James 2:7, Colossians 3:8,
4: Hebrews 4:4-5 & 9 (rest=Sabbatismos in verse 9), Matthew 12:8, Revelation 1:10
5: Ephesians 6:1-4, Colossians 3:20-21
6: Romans 13:9, 1 John 3:15
7: Matthew 5:27-32, Romans 13:9
8: Romans 13:9, Ephesians 4:28
9: Romans 13:9, Ephesians 4:25
10: Romans 13:9, Ephesians 5:5, Romans 7:7

Even the 4th Commandment can be found in the New Testament:

Exodus 20:8-11 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Why is it taught that we don't have to keep the law, when the law is taught in the New Testament?
The penalty for not keeping the law without a sufficient sacrifice is bad news...And since no one has ever kept the 'whole' law, there's no hope for anyone without the sacrifice...

Gal_3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal_3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

We should follow the Ten Commandments since they are our School Master...The Law is good...

The difference is we are no longer under the penalty of failing to follow the law...Jesus Christ paid that penalty, in full, when he was Crucified...

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScatteredThirdAngel

Why do men say we don't have to keep the 10 Commandments, when every single one of them can be found, and is taught in the New Testament?

1: Matthew 4:10, Matthew 6:24
2: 1 John 5:21 & Acts 17:29
3: 1 Timothy 6:1, James 2:7, Colossians 3:8,
4: Hebrews 4:4-5 & 9 (rest=Sabbatismos in verse 9), Matthew 12:8, Revelation 1:10
5: Ephesians 6:1-4, Colossians 3:20-21
6: Romans 13:9, 1 John 3:15
7: Matthew 5:27-32, Romans 13:9
8: Romans 13:9, Ephesians 4:28
9: Romans 13:9, Ephesians 4:25
10: Romans 13:9, Ephesians 5:5, Romans 7:7

Even the 4th Commandment can be found in the New Testament:

Exodus 20:8-11 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Why is it taught that we don't have to keep the law, when the law is taught in the New Testament?

It is my understanding as a child of God that Jesus Christ is the standard when it comes to how we are to conduct ourselves. At no point did Jesus Christ say we had to follow the law. No man on earth but Jesus has ever followed the law 100%. Only Jesus fulfilled the law, so the law is dead to me. The only laws Jesus told us to follow as believers are two very simple commandments. To love God with all our heart, soul and mind, and love our neighbors as we would ourselves. You want to follow all ten commandments, its your funeral, just don't fool yourself into believing that the old covenant is the key to your salvation.

(Mark 12:28-34) "¶ And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

[29] And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

[30] And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

[31] And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

[32] And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

[33] And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

[34] And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question."

edit on 16-7-2016 by Dcopymope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Or...

Why can't we just go by why Jesus said, that nothing would pass from the law until it all was fulfilled. And He said that He came to fulfil. Why can't we say exactly what He said without taking away from it?

Jesus fulfilled the law, He said He came to fulfil the law. That's awesome, glory to Jesus. Now we aren't under the law, but under a new covenant. Even prophecies in the OT said we would someday be under the law written on our hearts. God tells us if we violate he two laws, He convicts us.

He didn't say fulfilling the Law would cause it to pass, sorry.

Fulfilling the Law doesn't cause it to cease either.

He said it would NOT pass, that he didn't come to abolish the Law.

If you think you are not under the Law you aren't reading Jesus ' words because anyone can see that he taught the ten commandments were in effect until heaven and earth pass away.

Sometimes I think you just make things up as you go and as you want them to be with no regard for what actually is or interest in learning it.

That never ends well.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join