It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your immune system may be the answer to your social behavior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

A new study could have enormous implications for conditions such as autism and schizophrenia. It claims that the immune system affects and even controls social behavior.

researchers from the University of Virginia School of Medicine believe that this means that our immune system controls such fundamentals as our desire to interact with others.

The implications go so far as to suggest that immune system problems contribute to an inability to have normal social interactions.

“The brain and the adaptive immune system were thought to be isolated from each other, and any immune activity in the brain was perceived as sign of a pathology. And now, not only are we showing that they are closely interacting, but some of our behavior traits might have evolved because of our immune response to pathogens,”

Source

Scientists have found evidence that the brain and immune system work closely together to direct individuals in their social interactions. Biological warfare, anyone?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm not immune to a tight set of genes on a women.

Is that socially relative?

Most normal people know that a person's personality changes when they get some sort of an infection. I guess the only ones who ignored the relevance are those who read or were taught otherwise. Most medical books addressing this stated that the immune system was seperate of the consciousness. There was never any evidence to show that was correct, somebody with a couple of degrees and little wisdom must have made that statement and it was accepted as real.
edit on 15-7-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
From the article:

Social behavior is beneficial for pathogens, as it allows them to spread.

And then there is interferon gamma. This specific immune molecule is normally produced by the immune system in response to bacteria, viruses, or parasites.

Blocking the molecule in mice using genetic modification made regions of the brain hyperactive, causing the mice to become less social.

Makes sense. Watch out for THC as it blocks the same IFN molecule and prevents you from having a normal social interaction...though sometimes I wonder what`s the point of acting normal in this crazy world.

So yeah...I understand that to act normal these days can be stressful

edit on 15-7-2016 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Not sure I buy this study. I always tended to be pretty shy, and I have a great immune system; sick less than any other family member, less time, less severe. I heal fast, too. Now, perhaps someone with an immune problem might be affected, but that certainly isn't going to be the only factor.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Biological warfare, anyone?

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Those aren't real.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Highly speculative article based on a single experiment in mice. Needs more work before any kind of conclusion can be reached.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Science, it is always stating the obvious. When you're sick (or even when an animal gets sick) you will naturally separate yourself form others and even get aggressive to keep others way when you're hurting, weak and vulnerable. It only makes sense for humans or animals, it is a simple fact IMO.

new topics

top topics

join