It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hiding the polytheism of the Bible Deuteronomy 32

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Deuteronomy 32:8 NRSV

When the Most High [El Elyon] apportioned the nations,
When he divided humankind,
he fixed the boundaries of the peoples
according to the number of the gods;
the Lord's [Yahweh] own portion was his people, Jacob his allotted share.

This is according to the oldest available Biblical texts, the Septuagint (though rendered angels) and the Dead Sea Scrolls, the correct translation which means that El Elyon and Yahweh are not the same entity, even that Yahweh is a Son of El Elyon (Sons of God is the usual rendering).

We know this because El is the high God of the Canaanites pantheon, Israel beginning as a tribe of Canaanites this makes sense.

According to the tablets found at Ras Shamra in Syria El had 70 sons and a wife named Asherah. Ba'al of OT fame and Asherah were all Canaanite/Hebrew gods summed up with the term Elohim (Sons of El or Gods).

Genesis ten also describes the post flood civilization and the 70 nations descended from Noah that the world is divided into after the flood and obviously after Babel even though it appears immediately before the tower story that's no issue because the Bible often tells stories in non chronological order.

El, Asherah, Baal, 70 sons of El, 70 nations is no coincidence at all. The OT has many gods besides Yahweh and the Israelites worship them off and on throughout, especially the northern Kingdom of Israel.

The Masoretic scribes had become staunch monotheists by the time they translated the Tanakh back to Hebrew.

God having Sons had no place in the new Judaism of that era, even more damaging was the realization that Yahweh is not El Elyon, not the Most High.

So to rectify this the Masoretic scribes rendered Sons of God/El to the nonsensical sons of Israel/Jacob, who hadn't even been born yet when this passage is taking place, after Babel.

So determining the nations by the number of the sons of Israel makes absolutely no sense when he hadn't been born yet and the number 70 doesn't equal the sons of Israel at anytime, except when his 70th descendant was born. That is hardly a reason to change "God" to "Israel."

Well today it can be proven beyond doubt that the correct reading is Sons of God because of the DSS and the Ugaritic tablets.

But shame on the Bible publishers who aren't correcting this corruption.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

This is my first thread, I don't know who you are talking about and your not exactly being honorable by making statements that aren't true.

Probably you don't like people pointing out translation errors that are conspiracies (if you are Christian) and have nothing good to add to the topic.

I guess the next best thing is attack the messenger, right?

It won't accomplish anything but making yourself look bad and not concerned about the truth.

Shame is not something I have a reason to feel, but you should because you aren't even on topic.

Because you have no rebuttal (truth never does) and are unable to offer anything intellectual you don't have a right to lie about me.

Saying shame is not going to make me ashamed of something that is not something to be ashamed about.

I am proud of my knowledge actually.
edit on 15-7-2016 by Shahada because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Plus this is actually important and it seems like you would prefer nobody knew.

Also who are you? Your obvious immaturity makes me suspicious that you are an adolescent.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Shahada

im pretty sure it was never hidden.

it says in the 10 commandments not to worship other gods.

not there are no other gods.

and the trinity is 3 differnt things even though they say its all one

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

im pretty sure it was never hidden.

It was, is obvious and provable. Monolatry, look it up.

it says in the 10 commandments not to worship other gods.

Why? Because they believed in other gods (Chemosh for example, Asherah, Baal)

not there are no other gods.

That's not what is taught today.

and the trinity is 3 differnt things even though they say its all one

So...three different gods? SAY it's only one.

Sounds like a lot is being hidden or lied about.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Name me one admittedly polytheistic Christian Church today.

Or monolatrous even.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

In fact with just a little common sense changing "Sons of God" to "sons of Israel" is pointless if you are not trying to hide something so I fail to see how you can say it was not hidden.

Elohim is a plural word meaning Gods but is translated as God.

Is nothing being hidden there either? If it wasn't it would be translated Gods, but isn't.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shahada

Ah, pride, the sign of satan. Welcome, welcome!

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: Shahada

Ah, pride, the sign of satan. Welcome, welcome!

So being proud of learning is evil?

The pride you are talking about is completely different and you are taking a cheap shot that is nothing but a childish snipe with no real meaning to it, except that you like calling people Satan.

Weird. Pride is not evil but telling people they are satanic for being proud...is.

You must learn the different types of pride if you want to make comments about it being the sign of Satan.

You don't actually know what Satan is, do you?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

i am agreeing with you btw, im just saying any student of the bible or just good reader can see its polytheistic in its own way.

the catholic church i went as a kid said there was the holy ghost(1) God the father(2) and Jesus(3).

they also said God is with in all of us at one point, and its up to us to keep It their through are actions.

i think in saying that and having the trinity, made them say God is in everything so technically its one God, which also was a power play because the idea of one God appealed to people.

so not hiding just rewording.

I personally believe there is something that started all this we are not just spinning monkeys. I do believe there is good and there is evil, not just a human construct.

I didnt learn all this till i had left church for a long time,

i did some crazy stuff and were around really good people and really bad people, and i saw this existence for what it was. I still dont go to church, but i give thanks to whomever(cause it doesnt really have a name) just to walk the earth. and try to do good for my fellow people everyday.

im glad i did go to church though as a kid, just happy to have a knowledge base, and also i can see the evil in men using not only Catholicism but other religions as well.

i know for a fact GOD/Jesus/ghost?whatever would never approve of such blatant explotation
edit on 15-7-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

by the way if it blatantly says dont worship other gods, it is acknowledging their existence

just that commandment alone proves they are not hiding anything
edit on 15-7-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Is it just me or does El Elyon sound like El Aliens......

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I figure this, if there was only one god, why does it have to be a "jealous god" about? "Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." Hmm is ego perfect? If not, how is "god" then perfect?
edit on 15-7-2016 by sycomix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Psalm 82 also brings to our attention the subject . The problem we have is the word god/God in english .Much like the word love .The NT writers as well as the OT writers were well aware of the situation . Any how when God divided the Nations He put entities from the unseen realm He calls sons of God .It's or they are part of the heavenly family ... Psalm 82English Standard Version (ESV)

Rescue the Weak and Needy
A Psalm of Asaph.

82 God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
2 “How long will you judge unjustly
and show partiality to the wicked? Selah
3 Give justice to the weak and the fatherless;
maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.
4 Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
5 They have neither knowledge nor understanding,
they walk about in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6 I said, “You are gods,
sons of the Most High, all of you;
7 nevertheless, like men you shall die,
and fall like any prince.”[a]
8 Arise, O God, judge the earth;
for you shall inherit all the nations!

This short vid by Dr. Micheal Heiser addresses the subject the best I have seen .

edit on 15-7-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

And you can see the evolution of theology in Sons (Bene) becoming angels in the Nephilim story too. But Sons is correct, different from a messenger of God (angels meaning) and if you use certain Bibles this is so obscured it isn't even fair.

The connection with the Ras Shamra tablets is the icing on the cake or smoking gun in all of this and nobody except a small percentage of people know they exist.

But changing Sons of God to sons of Israel is the most blatantly obvious falsification for the sake of theology and point blank a lie that doesn't make sense.

Every Bible should be revised because the evidence leaves no room for interpretation there is no good in perpetuating a falsehood out of fear of the consequences of truth.

A virtual virtue in Christianity.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

by the way if it blatantly says dont worship other gods, it is acknowledging their existence

just that commandment alone proves they are not hiding anything

No, I get what you mean.

But ask a pastor if other gods exist, you know what the answer will be. Just the Trinity, the one in three "God."

So they will say that Yahweh means false gods or idols and not real gods. They will not acknowledge the existence of other gods.

If the prophets did and are prophets then there are other gods. But they will deny this.

I hope that clarifies because I know what you mean and its part of my overall argument. I am contrasting the true ancient beliefs with claimed by the mainstream today ancient beliefs and calling them wrong at best, liars at worst.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

I figure this, if there was only one god, why does it have to be a "jealous god" about? "Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." Hmm is ego perfect? If not, how is "god" then perfect?

Omnipotence would give you the power to not experience jealousy I'd imagine so yeah I agree.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

But changing Sons of God to sons of Israel is the most blatantly obvious falsification for the sake of theology and point blank a lie that doesn't make sense.
Some have called the Masoretic Text a PR operation to stop or slow the flow of Jews towards Christianity and that would make sense .The fact that some of the text's have been altered is a good study in it's self . There is still plenty to study but most Church leaders are a bit uncomfortable with some of the subject matter and so avoid it .

When you understand the Det.32:8 in its original form you see that in the book of Acts that God started undoing it with the inauguration of the Kingdom . Its paints a nice coherent picture of what the God of the Bible is all about and it helps put some faces to the principalities and powers we are said to wrestle against .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join