It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Earth...

I wonder what that word means to people when they say it or think about it. I know that it depends mostly on what context you are using it in. But in general, when you think of the word, what thoughts or ideas do you associate it with?

The word itself has a varied history. Almost every culture has a different name for it. Some more beautiful than others, yet all meant to describe this beautiful blue little planet each and every one of us calls home.

I found this article on the words origins and what it meant or represented to people since the planet first got its name. The whole article is a short but interesting read. Here are a couple paragraphs that stood out to me.

There's something a bit ironic about the fact that the most fundamental common ground between every human being on the planet is, well, the planet we share--yet nearly every language has its own name for it and a reason why it's such. In English, of course, our planet is Earth--but it's terra in Portuguese, dünya in Turkish, aarde in Dutch. Just imagine the cosmic comedy that would ensue if some interstellar traveler ever stopped on our planet to get directions.

But as diverse as these names are, they all reflect an older worldview--a time before anyone knew our planet was just a fertile sphere floating in the vast darkness of space.To better understand how our planet was regarded historically, it's important to remember that the world was generally regarded as merely the 'setting' of existence and not so much a specific place. In fact, the word 'world' itself didn't originally connote the planet at all, but rather the 'state of human existence'. Germanic in origin, 'world' is a fusion of two now obsolete words translating literally to "age of man."

I for some reason like the original meaning of the word...a state of human existence or the age of man. But I don't think that it describes what Earth is 100%. So, I went looking for a definition that did. I found the usual dictionary versions...

the fragmental material composing part of the surface of the globe; especially : cultivable soil

Most read like this one. But this one, for me, was not a true definition. It took me a bit to find one that fit closer to what I feel the world is. It only describes the possibility of the word Earth being used two different ways when describing it.

When referring to the Earth, someone could be either describing the land on the planet that we live on. Also, they could be referring to the people that inhabit the Earth.

For me, Earth is not one or the other..it is both at once. When I use the word, in my head, I don't really distinguish the inhabitants from the planet. We are not separate from one another in my mind. Earth is the embodiment of the planet and every living thing on it.

It is the sea of faces as well as the seas of water. It is the uniqueness of each person I meet as well as the uniqueness of each snowflake that falls. (no, I am not talking about the current definition of snowflake that is being used) It is the beauty and variations of each flower, and also the beauty and variations of each individual. This is the way I view this planet...our planet..Earth.

I never really stopped to think that maybe there was another way to view it...that maybe others didn't really see it as I did. So, I thought I would ask...How do you see it? The word Earth...the planet itself.

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 15-7-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Hi, in relation to the name 'earth' and perhaps maybe a bit off topic, I always found it impossible to believe the UFO reports/stories where an individual spoke to the aliens where the aliens referred to our planet as 'Earth'. EG: "We have come to earth to warn you."

Where the heck did the aliens get the word "Earth" in the first point. Not to mention, "We have come from Sirius to help you."

We live on the "Moon". What the. Do they speak English and have knowledge of our beginnings or what.

Sorry OP, not trying to rerail the thread. Just my point of view.

My kindest regards,

Bally

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

No..is ok! This is what you thought about when you thought about the word Earth..It is a different view and a different way of thinking about it..

I never really thought about that.. the alien abduction thing..and the word Earth being used in conjunction with them...you gave me something else to research/read about for later this week.

Thanks for your thoughts!
blend57

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

edit on 15-7-2016 by blend57 because: double post

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

My regards,

Can anyone explain to me why aliens refer to our planet as "Earth"!!!

Bally

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
FLAT EARTH.....

edit on 17-7-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Great thread!

Earth to me is a big ball of energy. People are always running around and creating energy weather good or bad it's energy. Sure we would like to see more positive energy but this is life.

The Earth is a gathering point in our planetary system.

Do aliens visit? That is a hard question to answer.

I Love Earth!

top topics

join