It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pokémon Go Players Find Another Dead Body

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Squirlli
a reply to: one4all

The already are.

Pokemon Muggings

that story mentions the pokestops which are landmarks and usually in populated areas. isolated gyms are going to be the problem. you can hit pokestops driving past them, gyms take time to control

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

Ya! Kids have been inside so long, now they're finally going outside again and viola.

Although 2 in what a week? Weird!

Maybe its been a 15 year dry spell for serial killers, and then they heard Pokemon GO!

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well, right up the street from me (literally, like two blocks away), a group of guys was using the Pokemon app to locate people in isolated areas so they could rob them. The guys are in custody NOW, but they robbed several people before they were apprehended.

My kids want to download and play and to be honest, I think I can find better things for them to do outside.
edit on 15-7-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Keep em out there man! So many of the kids today never scraped their knees, or fell in the mud, a huge part of why people are getting so weird now.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
"Remember the days when everyone just stayed inside not playing Pokémon Go and these things just happened? Bodies could float in creeks for days, folks would die alone on park benches, what a different world it was."

This random personal thought in the report is funny to me.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Isn't it news because it's more likely to be a child?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Greggers

Keep em out there man! So many of the kids today never scraped their knees, or fell in the mud, a huge part of why people are getting so weird now.

I agree with you on that. These boys play outside every single day. It's just that I can find activities for them that make me more comfortable as a parent than letting them play this wacky game, which, if nothing else, puts an unnecessary filter between them and the outdoors.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I await the inevitable Pokemon lawsuits - players causing traffic injuries and deaths, being led into dangerous areas and mugged, trauma at finding dead bodies, walking off cliffs because... not paying attention except to a tiny little screen instead of real life.

Are Pokemon players as distracted as drunks and the mentally ill?

Or is this just all a giant Darwinian experiment to prove once and for all that the human race has hit an evolutionary dead end?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing. Chill guys. These things have always been happening already. If someone wants to rob you, they are gonna do it. Theres a million and one ways that work way better than Pokemon go. Good lord people. a reply to: SentientCentenarian

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing. Chill guys. These things have always been happening already. If someone wants to rob you, they are gonna do it. Theres a million and one ways that work way better than Pokemon go. Good lord people. a reply to: SentientCentenarian

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomy327

You have to understand, I live in a very safe neighborhood. One of the safest burbs in my entire state. When I hear that a black BMW with gun toting criminals is sticking people up two blocks away from my house, it gets my attention. When I hear that they are using a kid's game to do it (a game my own kids want to play), that also gets my attention.

You are welcome to let your own children do whatever you like.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

To those asking themselves how a person might be able to use Pokemon Go as a tool to locate potential victims in some insane, predatory serial killer situation, I have the following to say.

Pokemon Go features certain locations at which items may be collected, and Pokemon bought together in battle. These locations are fixed, both in the game environment, and pinned to real world locations. The idea is that people walk to these locations, using the AR system that is the underpinning of the games gimmick, to overlay both Pokemon, items, and information over the real world location, when viewed through a players phone or other mobile device.

Now, a serial killer is best thought of as a predator. For whatever reason, the individual simply has the need to kill. What every predator tends to do, is figure out where its prey are. Practiced murderers seek out the places and times where a person might be best caught alone.

Now, a watering hole has been created in the world that did not used to exist, a watering hole in the digital landscape, which draws physical people to obscure locations for what boil down to entertainment purposes. Predators know where the watering holes are. They make it their business to. If a serial killer became aware of where a local Gym was, they could merely stake out the trails that lead to it from every direction, pick the best for their needs from which to strike. It is unlikely that they would strike AT a Gym, unless they did not care if the body was found, or had no idea it was there.

It is worth pointing out that I only know of the game through my sister, and have never even seen the screen for it. However, I feel confident that if we also look to social media, tips for new players, advice forums, the social media page for the game itself, there will be groups for players in given areas, players sharing their days exploits on YouTube and so on, and so forth...

As I mentioned, I only know of this game through my sister, but even I know where our local Gyms are. Some of them are in perfectly sensible places, and others are in the middle of parkland, some are somewhat secluded, places one could commit murder and leave a body with a reasonable degree of effectiveness. Not all the trails toward these places are entirely great either to be honest. There's much that could go badly. Especially when you consider that most of the people playing the game will be hunched over their phone screens. Distracted by their entertainment, perhaps an effort to catch a Meowth or something, they will wind up missing the telltale noise of rushing feet and arcing steel, the swift, light sound of a consummate predator, seeking blood, bringing death.

It does not bare thinking about more deeply than that, since that would be heavy going, and I have to get some sleep.
edit on 15-7-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
They found another dead body?

Dang.

All I keep finding is that stupid Pokemon called Drowzee.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Old people "Kids need to go outside, when I was a kid we'd be out till sundown and no one would know where we were"

Pokemon Go comes out, Young people start coming outside en masse again

Old people "pokemon go is dangerous, it puts children outside, exploring unfamiliar areas"
Old people "I dont understand why today's young people are infantilized"

I heard it this week. "pokemon is what is wrong with this country"
I said "yup dude its pokemon go that is causing societal collapse, not declining marriage rates, not single parenting, not falling real wages, not declining civic culture, not immigration policy"

old person "what I stopped listening after pokemon"

me " The problem with society is that attitude, when real issues come up people zone out, instead of critical thinking"

conclusion: I hate people

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian
I await the inevitable Pokemon lawsuits - players causing traffic injuries and deaths, being led into dangerous areas and mugged, trauma at finding dead bodies, walking off cliffs because... not paying attention except to a tiny little screen instead of real life.

Few of us walk off cliffs while finding the things, you know (yes, I said "us." I play Pokemon Go.)

The stops were compiled from points and portals used by players of the previous game, (Ingress.) There's some cultural biases there (Pokestops tend to be in fairly upscale and safe places. There's a dearth of gyms and Pokestops in poor neighborhoods or in and around dangerous places.

Pokestops are generally at landmarks, large buildings, interesting murals, and local Neat Stuff (the bagged ice stop here in my hometown that looks like a windmill is one place. The sign at the entrance to the park down the street is another.)

Are Pokemon players as distracted as drunks and the mentally ill?

No, we aren't.

Or is this just all a giant Darwinian experiment to prove once and for all that the human race has hit an evolutionary dead end?

Well, we're actively using and modifying (and gaming, to some extent) technology and programs and adapting to new ideas and interacting with others who use the game but who may be strangers to us. And we're getting more fit by all that walking.

This might cause some groups to go extinct, but my money would be on the guess that the endangered groups aren't getting much exercise (risk of cardiac problems, diabetes, etc, etc) and aren't getting much or any social support (meeting new friends, learning new things) and are suspicious of technology and never learn to use it well.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
Old people "Kids need to go outside, when I was a kid we'd be out till sundown and no one would know where we were"

Pokemon Go comes out, Young people start coming outside en masse again

Most of my friends (age 55 and older) on Facebook are playing Pokemon Go. Now, I realize we're a small sample, but if you read up on it you find that people of all ages play and it's not terribly unusual to find someone over 40 playing.

So... does this mean we're not Old People in spite of our age?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

not old of mind. A great excuse to get exercise.

I tried explaining it to my grandpa. It's what I've always wanted to do since I got pokemon blue when I was 7 lol

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom
Some dark, twisted part of me also wondered if the people who died were playing that. Imagine somebody out there who wants to "catch them all" and is playing for keeps. Somebody who believes he's collecting souls, rather than pokemon.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I dont see it as much different than geocaching, other than it's hunting for digital treasure and well obviously some monstrous finds in the real world as a result is going to be inevitable. It's doubtful that anyone has been to those locations in question... although I have no idea how they are chosen or who does the choosing.

Of course if it is an area of interest with limited man power... a game means free workers to go check places out under the guise of a game.

Reminds me of that Simpson episode when Barts asked what game he's playing and he says it's called clean the house... and his mom looks around at all the real world work needing done and makes that growly noise she usually does.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Florida teens, mistaken for thieves, shot at playing Pokemon Go lol.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I give it a week before the first pokemon go deaths.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join