It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Fruit - my star of the season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Mh-mhh! Is there anything better at the moment than a sweet ripe star fruit !?

Went to visit friends and came home with a bag full of 50 star fruits. It’s star fruits time in Q-Aus !

Some people call them carambola because they grow on the “Averrhoa carambola” tree. Typically this time of year a carambola tree is laden with fruits, more than one can eat while they are fresh and ripe.

The star fruits are at home in East/Southeast Asia, the South pacific and are also cultivated in other tropical areas like Latin America, the Caribbean and Southern US. They are rich in Vit C, antioxidants, potassium and are low in sugar even when ripe. They taste wonderful. I hope in Northern countries you will find plenty of imports.

I picked some easy recipes to start with. I like to make up or change recipes according to my personal preferences and to what is available in the kitchen and in the garden at the time of cooking. Below is my recipe for a star fruit and apple crumble which I altered from this recipe.

Ingredience

4 big fully yellow star fruits
2 fairly big apple
Almonds approx. 0,75 cup to a cup after chopping

I cleaned the fruits, sliced the star fruits, quartered and sliced the apple, chopped a handful of almonds in the blender, mixed all together, scooped it into a dish and baked it for 35 minutes. I did not add any sugar and I was just stunned by the perfect sweetness of the dish. The almonds served as crumbles some still a bit chunky.

I also made deviled eggs with star fruits which i found to be so so yummy and refreshing. Here I also altered the original recipe

Ingredients

2 Eggs
3 Starfruits
2-3 tbsp Yogurth
Basil and Garlic jives
Salt, Chilli or Pepper are optional

Boil the eggs hard, peel, half, separate and put the yellow part in a bowl and mash them coarsely
Chop the star fruits into very tiny cubes and add to the mashed eggs
Add the yogurth, herbs and spices and stir carefully
Scoop them into the egg halves
Decorate with a slice of starfruit to make the eggs look devilish with horns

Serve and eat them immediately otherwise the juice of the starfruits make the mash too runny. I served this dish with baked pumpkin on rosemary

Then there is this other recipe which I will try out after I have been shopping for the ingredients. I only will omit the sprinkle of sugar, I truly think it does not need it, but you suit yourself on this one

Ingredients

Puff pastry, cut to long platforms
Several starfruits, sliced
60g blue cheese
60g ricotta
One egg

Prebake the pastry for 10 minutes then spread both types of cheese along the centre, distribute the starfruits over that part. Brush the sides with the egg to give it a nice colour and bake for 5 minutes.

Bon appetite !

I still have a few starfruits left so if you know of some easy and healthy recipes please do share them

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I love star fruit! Everytime I see them I get a few. Great for drinks, refreshing and deliciously good for you.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
When my son was little and picky, that was the easiest fruit to get him to eat.
Children are very visual eaters......

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
i adore star fruit. but we never get it here. havent seen one in almost 20 years.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
i adore star fruit. but we never get it here. havent seen one in almost 20 years.

i feel for you, but apparently they are pretty easy to grow in pots

main thing is to take them inside over winter

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: lucia2389

Bet!

Im so gonna figure out where to source one of these. I am rather adept at horticultural arts.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

They are bearing now where I live. I really like your recipes, and I'm going to try a few. Like mangoes, they are here, and they are here aplenty, and then the "season" is over with.

I like to slice them about 1/2" thick, trim off the skin, and top them with thinly sliced parmesan cheese. Sometimes, a very light dusting of cinnamon.

They also make a damned good margarita.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

since it is also orange time i had made some orange marmalade. not too much sugar, more like a thick compote, very fruity.

then i mixed the marmalade with chopped star fruits, piled it on puff pastry squares and made parcels. baked it for half an hour. pretty good for a quick sweet snack.

i imagine this mix would be fine over ice cream also. or mixed with yogurth

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Sounds wonderful! I really like the earthy flavor of them; sort of reminds me of guava or the flavor of Manzano bananas.

Since the entire fruit is edible, I sometimes slice, remove the seeds and put in a Bullet to make a smoothie. It works well with cucumber also in a smoothie.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
you tropical folks are killing me.

We don't really have much in the way of native fruits here. Although we do have some good canteloupes in the general area, and amazing peaches to the south. Not much grows in this stretch of desert without a lot of effort.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I kill for a good peach, just one No. But I yearn for a good peach. One that has actual juice and stuff. A nice, juicy canteloupe would be really swell also. They don't seem to ship well. Those that we get are far removed from what you enjoy.

Still, I think if I put my mind and resources to it, I could grow tasty canteloupe. You could probably grow star fruit.

We'll never grow good peaches, though.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I kill for a good peach, just one No. But I yearn for a good peach. One that has actual juice and stuff. A nice, juicy canteloupe would be really swell also. They don't seem to ship well. Those that we get are far removed from what you enjoy.

Still, I think if I put my mind and resources to it, I could grow tasty canteloupe. You could probably grow star fruit.

We'll never grow good peaches, though.

depending where you are in the county, you can grow some world class peaches here. The trick is to be up against the "mountains" (really, they are hills) where you have a decent depth of good soil. Like i mentioned to you the other day...we have so much caliche.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
thank you all for your input and suggestions, star fruits are worth gold

and so it sais in this vietnamese folktale

i hope that big raven is safe and was not that greedy woman's last meal

and as for me, i will tend my (future) star fruit tree so there is plenty to go around, but..... dang, we have no ravens here !

top topics

join