It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television - The Most Powerful Weapon Of Them All

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'll never forget the first day of a certain dystopia class I had in college. The professor, who wound up being the most mind-bending prof. I ever had asked us, "Do you know what the most powerful drug in America is?" Of course my fellow students blurted out the usual.. "Coke!" "Heroine!" "'Ludes!"
He smiled and shook his head no. He then turned around and pointed to the big black television set sitting in the corner and said, "TV." I had never thought about it before. As I've come to learn, no truer words had ever been uttered. Especially since deregulation....

Here's an ESSAY.. for all you RENSE haters, that means a paper filled with OPINIONS. I concur with most of the author's assumptions; therefore, I thot I'd share it w/ATS. If you disagree with the author's opinions, fine. Just don't respond with LAME attempts at flaming RENSE. It was simply posted there.

Television - The Most Powerful
Weapon Of Them All
By Jolly Roger
Internet Columnist, Freedom Fighter & American Patriot
1-17-5

Perception Management - American Television is truly the 'boob tube' and it controls the masses via very carefully filtered information keeping a duped and deceived populace in check to serve at the pleasure of the plutocratic US government.
www.rense.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Top article, thanks for link!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kakugo
Top article, thanks for link!

Ubetcha.
I hope it helps those who see it understand just how insideous this problem is. The less amount of tv all of us watch, the better off we are. It kills independent thought.

How many times have you been sitting there watching the toob and you see a fast-food commercial.. and like a hook in the nose, you're out the door to get that double cheese burger that you really did not need? I plead guilty!

My Sunday ritual used to be to get up, make coffee, read the papers and turn on the Sunday political shows like ABC's This Week. I can hardly stand watching 2 minutes of that crap anymore. Since 2000, I have never seen so many folks on those shows straight lying through their teeth. It's mind-boggling. And so many of my fellow Americans buy their lies hook, line and sinker. Why? Because they said so on TV! It's unreal.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Very opinionated but good. Maybe I should stop watching TV....Na

Americans rarely engage in moral or political debate anymore, because the last word is always left to a television "expert."

Couldn't agree more with this

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
If people actually knew this shyte.... Take Jennings, Williams and Rather, for example.. it's not what they say so much as what they're NOT saying, that's so important. Today's tv "news" is straight up worthless.
The only news on tv worth watching is:

1. The John Stewart Show

2. The Lehrer News Hour
3. BBC News on PBS

Most Americans are fast asleep 10 minutes into Lehrer. It's too bad. They actually discuss and analyse events. What a concept!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
A couple of things that I should point out:

1) when people watch TV (or stare at Fast Moving Images), their mind immediately goes into 'Alpha State'. At state, the mind is open for suggestion...(imaging the impact with prolong time...any video gamers out there!)

2) Has anybody notice where the TV channels' LOGO are located...they are all placed on the lower LEFT side of the TV screen...From what i have learned about hypnosis, when the eyes stare at something from the LEFT side, the Right brain tend to be more active and the mind goes to 'Alpha State' as well...(Although, most people dont pay attention to the logo, Subconsciously they do...)

Now Add that to watching TV...the hypnotic process is further reinforced...!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Very interesting, mwen. I never really noticed that. (Logo)

I can't stand how we are bombarded by the same ads over and over and over and over again.....
I wonder how many SUV's have been sold because of that little technique?

I saw an ad for one the other day and it straight up implied that if you bought it.. you could go to the mountains and have a killer weekend, whereas if you didn't, you couldn't. I love how they don't tell you where you're gonna get the money for gas, food and lodging during that fabulous trek.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
LOL.. I realized that when I was like tweleve for some reason, and then when I was going 16, my grandma started taking me to the libary. Now, I hardly watch TV, b/c I'm on ATS all night.

With or without TV, I would still be asking alot of "Weird" questions to random people and then they would stare at me werid and I would still have like no social life. Are we "discrimated" against for questioning ppl in power? B/c under the constitution it's still legal. Is having a "small" social life the same for everyone else?

[edit on 1/18/05 by BSB2005]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

2. The Lehrer News Hour

We get that news program here in Australia, your right it is very good,
you usually seem to hear something not on the other channels.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

3. BBC News on PBS

I hate BBC news, but I love PBS and BBC News Radio.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
i hate tv and don't have one and never will. i get sick of hearing conversations daily of 'did you watch...' or hearing 'but i only watch the nature programs and documentaries' suuuuure lol

i'd like to throw out a challenge to all you regular tv watchers out there... (if you dare!)

pick one of the following and do it every day for 1 month & record your experiences here -

1. do not turn your tv on
2. have the tv picture on but not the sound
3. (if you have a tv capable) turn the picture off and leave the sound on

1 month is not that long. we have survived thousands of years without television - dare you survive 1 month without???

any takers?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwen
2) Has anybody notice where the TV channels' LOGO are located...they are all placed on the lower LEFT side of the TV screen..

I just glanced at the set, and while The Simpsons play of Fox, the logo is on the lower right.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Good article

There's only one point in there that I'm iffy about, but that's only because I'm not sure of my own opinion on the 'issue' as of yet. I guess regardless, the effect is still obvious and it can certainly be attributed to television/mass media.

This quote came to mind as I read it:

"the spirit cannot survive when it is defined as a cultural good and distributed for consumption."

I haven't watched television programming in years, but I am still guilty of indulging in movies. The television programming was just sickening though, there was nothing on there of any substance and I doubt that's improved any. Particularly worthless was tv news programming

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
pick one of the following and do it every day for 1 month & record your experiences here -

1. do not turn your tv on
2. have the tv picture on but not the sound
3. (if you have a tv capable) turn the picture off and leave the sound on

1 month is not that long. we have survived thousands of years without television - dare you survive 1 month without???

any takers?

After the Superbowl, you've got a deal.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

After the Superbowl, you've got a deal.

woohoo - thnx intrepid - i applaud you for your bravery. when is the superbowl finished btw?

come on peeps out there - this is a really fascinating & interesting experiment to do. just 2 more brave volunteers at least - 1 for each catagory & then i will make a new thread for you to records your impressions

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Another proof: Even though the U.S. won the Tet offensive, they eventually had to retreat because of the public oppinion, ALL THANKS TO T.V.

Surf

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

2) Has anybody notice where the TV channels' LOGO are located...they are all placed on the lower LEFT side of the TV screen..

I just glanced at the set, and while The Simpsons play of Fox, the logo is on the lower right.

Thanks ben91069 for mentioned this!...I meant to say on RIGHT side...from the viewer point of view...(I was think of the TV projecting out...where logo would be on the Left side)!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

A couple of things that I should point out:

1) when people watch TV (or stare at Fast Moving Images), their mind immediately goes into 'Alpha State'. At state, the mind is open for suggestion...(imaging the impact with prolong time...any video gamers out there!)

2) Has anybody notice where the TV channels' LOGO are located...they are all placed on the lower LEFT side of the TV screen...From what i have learned about hypnosis, when the eyes stare at something from the LEFT side, the Right brain tend to be more active and the mind goes to 'Alpha State' as well...(Although, most people dont pay attention to the logo, Subconsciously they do...)

Now Add that to watching TV...the hypnotic process is further reinforced...!

-------------------
EDITING point number 2: (I meant to say Right instead Left)

2) Has anybody notice where the TV channels' LOGO are located...they are all placed on the lower RIGHT side of the TV screen...From what i have learned about hypnosis, when the eyes stare at something from the RIGHT side, the Right brain tend to be more active and the mind goes to 'Alpha State' as well...(Although, most people dont pay attention to the logo, Subconsciously they do...)

Sorry about that!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I've actually researched this issue during my study of the reptilians. I interviewed serveral people asking their opinions on various issues, one of these being the possibility of the existence of an alien reptilian race or a reptilian race native to this planet. I was very concerned at the amount of people who said that the reason they didn't accept this posibility was because reptilian aliens were the content of science fiction movies.
I then realised what was happening. If their had been a fictional TV program about jews being killed by Nazis, what would happen if somone sugested this was actually happening? people would think they saw the TV program and just made up a story based on it.
TV is ineed a very effective weapon.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
This is true. We become thinkless human beings watching the tv. Heck why should we exercise our minds when we are paying such a high price for others to think for us. Not only has the tv become a source of entertainment in most households around the world, its also programming our buying habits, ect.
America can give all those execs the hi five for causing us to become fat with high calesterol. I mean who has'nt sat with a bag of hershey's kisses or bon bon's and talk to the one life to live actors? Even in road rage we yell at people in other cars that cannot hear us...lol We are stupid.
I thought of this many years ago. I have to give a huge thanks to whoever in my family gave me the metabilism i've got, cuz I hardly ever watch tv at all, usually a movie on dvd. I don't eat while I watch either. I buy only what I can afford and think for myself. Might I also add this can cause your bills to be alot less as well. Stop watching those dairy queen commercials, get off your booty and pump some iron folks. Mediatate, eat healthy, and exercise.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join